Complete Tire Separation on Rental Now Alamo billing me for $805.00

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 20, 2018
May 15, 2016
Possible Causes of Tread Separation. ... Manufacturer defects –Defects in the design or manufacturing of tires may cause tread separation. Sometimes, errors in the chemical portion of the manufacturing process cause the tread and steel belting not to bond correctly. When this occurs, the manufacturer is liable for repairs.
Causes and Warnings of Tire Tread Separation - Chalik & Chalik
https://www.chaliklaw.com/defective-tire.../tire-tread-separation-causes-warning-signs/
All true. But the relevant question is how common is that (extremely uncommon in my opinion) compared to the extremely common driving on a flat tire. Sometimes (like happened to me) you can drive pretty far and be unaware tire is flat. And when you notice a light on the dashboard today, you have no possible idea whether it just came on, or it was on for a while and was not noticed. That is the nature of human error. Note that this citation is from a personal injury law firm.

Sep 20, 2018
All true. But the relevant question is how common is that (extremely uncommon in my opinion) compared to the extremely common driving on a flat tire. Sometimes (like happened to me) you can drive pretty far and be unaware tire is flat. And when you notice a light on the dashboard today, you have no possible idea whether it just came on, or it was on for a while and was not noticed. That is the nature of human error. Note that this citation is from a personal injury law firm.
My point is, that you and maybe others assume that they (OP)were the problem, you are not factoring in the fact that defects do occur in the manufacturing process, you seem to think this person drove and drove on a flat tire, I can assure you someone would know if they were driving on a flat at highway speeds.
I am more apt to take this persons word for it, that they pulled over as soon as it was safe to do so.

Jan 6, 2015
Member Consumer Care has already composed a letter that is well-written in my opinion. He is correct, I think to question the charges.

The only changes I would make are:
  • Was the separated tread present when the vehicle was returned. If so, the tech's statement about a puncture is reasonable, unless Consumer Care wishes to contest it, which will be time-consuming and may not bear fruit). If not, proving manufacture defect is near impossible.
  • Questioning why there is no new tire on the invoice is likely to be a red flag and drive up the cost further.
  • I would offer to pay that portion of the labor that excludes the time to fix the DTC (electrical) issues (see his/her attached PDFs. They are internal to the car and not Consumer Care's responsibility.

Sep 27, 2018
Except on our cars the light comes on once the tire is 5 PSI low, which can actually occur in my climate just from driving the car from a warm garage to outside. Some of the rental cars I have had trigger at a 10% deviation which is typically 3 PSI. Thus, the operator would not be driving on a flat tire unless there was a catastrophic failure of the tire.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Except on our cars the light comes on once the tire is 5 PSI low, which can actually occur in my climate just from driving the car from a warm garage to outside. Some of the rental cars I have had trigger at a 10% deviation which is typically 3 PSI. Thus, the operator would not be driving on a flat tire unless there was a catastrophic failure of the tire.
My tire light went on a day after the car spent the night outside in -5 deg weather. Put some air in the tire and it has been fine since. It was probably slightly low to begin with but the tire is a run-flat tire and they do not look like a typically underinflated tire when low. It was so cold outside that I could not get a reliable pressure on the tire when I started to inflate it.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
"
Except that years ago cars did not have low-pressure tire warning lights: " the tire light came on (dashboard). NOTE: no other light came on or was on, in the dashboard. I then began to make my way over to the right-hand emergency lane ". The OP pulled over as soon as the tire light went on. These lights go on long before the tire is flat. I have had them go one when the tire has 20+ lbs of air in it, long before a flat.
The picture is also entirely (pun intended) consistent with a defective tire with tread separation. We do not know the mileage on the tire but the car was a 2019 and a rental, so very unlikely that the tire has 50K+ miles on it. "

There is nothing you said that I could argue with. Except my personal opinion is that it is not logical nor likely. The "OP pulled over as soon as the tire light came on" is what the OP said, does not make it fully true. "as soon as" may mean a minute or so. And more logically, the OP was not looking at the dash the second it came on, and did not notice it for some time. That is just human.

And it is also true as you say that the tire may have been defective with tread separation. However, not including retreads - which aren't even made any more for passenger tires, I would venture that the odds of that happening are infinitesimal to the odds that the tire was driven on flat. Of course, "your mileage may vary".
Driving at highway speeds with a flat front tire is noticeable very early on. Rear tire, not so quick.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This thread is going off on a tangent with many anecdotes on what could have happened and what’s happened to others that had different cars or similar.

We needed to give Consumer Cares their options and have assisted with a letter, which is what he or she needed. Let’s sit back and wait for Consumer to come back and update us instead of continuing to boost this thread with more repeating anecdotes.

If he or she needs more advice after taking this up the executive chain, then we can help with that.

Feb 20, 2019
UPDATE: Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I received a "final" letter from Alamo, threatening to send my account to collections and cut off my ability (lifetime) to ever rent from Alamo (which includes Enterprise and National Auto rentals). It would take going to small claims court or the like to prove Alamo's responsibility of the failed tire, and that would probably cost a whole lot more than the amount Alamo was demanding from me.
Moreover, if a tire goes "bad" during one's rental (me), it is the renter's responsibility to take care of it. Again, unless it can be proved that the tire failed due to improper inflation and/or manufactures defect. Challenging this on a legal level, was not feasible for me.
The only other recourse, was to try to negotiate down the claim charges, which included the "fishy" Kia invoice, that made no mention of a tire or tire replacement. In doing so, I left a few messages for the agent in "Recovery" to discuss the detailed invoice from Kia (see my 2/21/19 post). The agent never returned my calls or emails. I then called the main customer service number for "claims recovery" and was connected with a very reasonable person who could think outside of the box. She looked at the Kia invoice and expressed that it seemed strange there was no mention of a tire anywhere. Hummmmm. I did have her check to see if Alamo paid this Kia dealership the amount on the Kia invoice. Alamo did pay the $705.00. The additional $100.00 fee for administrative charges, was taken off the total $805.00 Alamo billed me for. I paid the $705.00 in the end.
I must say, I usually rent from Avis, which in my experience to the best car rental agency. I never have been fond of Enterprise, National or Alamo.
After seeing the numerous complaints about Alamo over the past few years, I question ever renting from them again.

Feb 20, 2019
Hi Neil: A course purchasing their insurances (the right one(s) could have taken care of all of this.
I've never purchased car rental insurance in all the years I've been renting, so this experience is a 1st for me. In the future, I might just purchase the insurance offered by the rental agency. I am sure I've saved hundreds of dollars in not purchasing this extra insurance every time I've rented.
In any event, I ALWAYS: take pictures of the entire vehicle I am renting, before I drive it off the lot. I also make note of the inside of the car and if there are any damages to note, I photograph those as well. I also scan over the rental docs and total charge of the rental before taking the car as well.
It doesn't take long to do these things, but I believe it is worth it in the long run, if a rental agency tries to claim charges for damage that didn't take place when you had the vehicle. Another note, before driving the rental, I acquaint myself with the radio, a/c...... so I know what is what and where it is.

Jan 6, 2015
I am disappointed to hear that Alamo was not more flexible. One small thing going forward: we carry a good tire gauge after an inflation issue on on trip. It's metal, but we have never been questioned by TSA . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hi Neil: A course purchasing their insurances (the right one(s) could have taken care of all of this.
I've never purchased car rental insurance in all the years I've been renting, so this experience is a 1st for me. In the future, I might just purchase the insurance offered by the rental agency. I am sure I've saved hundreds of dollars in not purchasing this extra insurance every time I've rented.
In any event, I ALWAYS: take pictures of the entire vehicle I am renting, before I drive it off the lot. I also make note of the inside of the car and if there are any damages to note, I photograph those as well. I also scan over the rental docs and total charge of the rental before taking the car as well.
It doesn't take long to do these things, but I believe it is worth it in the long run, if a rental agency tries to claim charges for damage that didn't take place when you had the vehicle. Another note, before driving the rental, I acquaint myself with the radio, a/c...... so I know what is what and where it is.

Did you by any chance have pictures of the tires at pick up? I take pictures too but I don’t take detailed pictures of the tires- I guess that’s something else I need to go now when renting a car.

Even taking the car rental insurance might not have helped if they sold a separate policy for tires.

Try to go to our help screens and put in a final request to have the writers look at this. Tell them you followed the instructions and you got no satisfaction. I have a hard time believing this was your fault.

Jan 6, 2015
Yes, Neil. We do that as well, making sure we capture the rims in the picture in case they claim damage there . . .

Feb 20, 2019
Good idea on a tire gauge. It seems ridiculous that the rental agencies are not held to a higher level in making sure their cars are not throughly checked through before renting to the next customer. more than once, have I received a car that was not so clean. Mostly night rentals, when one cannot tell if the car had been washed or the inside cleaned out. As stated before, Alamo affiliated with National and Enterprise are not my top picks when renting a car. Maybe it is worth the extra, at times, to rent with Avis. Avis has always put out clean, well working vehicles when I've rented with them.