Complaint about complains

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 17, 2016
So, I've posted my carnival issue here, I'm not sure where it goes from here but to compare my complaint to others and the outcome of theirs I looked on another site.......
COME ON! it's no wonder costumer service is crap. The things people complain about on this one carnival complaint site is too rediculous.
About 80% were long drawn out boo-hoos and I think that's the reason companies are fed up with it all.
You can not go anywhere for 7 days to 3-4 different ports for the kind of money we pay for cruises. And that's why it's so great!!!! It's a lot of fun for not that much......Right?
I can't remember the last time I got a hotel for 7 days for a thousand dollars let alone free food and entertainment.
I would be happy to just get a cruise, sleep on deck for 7 days and eat only salad and crappy ice tea.
At least most of these people got on the ship with their families.
The petty complaints (IMO) are the reason that reasonable requests from good costumers get ignored.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
So, I've posted my carnival issue here, I'm not sure where it goes from here but to compare my complaint to others and the outcome of theirs I looked on another site.......
COME ON! it's no wonder costumer service is crap. The things people complain about on this one carnival complaint site is too rediculous.
About 80% were long drawn out boo-hoos and I think that's the reason companies are fed up with it all.
You can not go anywhere for 7 days to 3-4 different ports for the kind of money we pay for cruises. And that's why it's so great!!!! It's a lot of fun for not that much......Right?
I can't remember the last time I got a hotel for 7 days for a thousand dollars let alone free food and entertainment.
I would be happy to just get a cruise, sleep on deck for 7 days and eat only salad and crappy ice tea.
The petty complaints (IMO) are the reason that reasonable requests from good costumers get ignored.
Don't you think a consumer advocacy forum is an odd place to make a complaint about complaints? By your reasoning, then shouldn't your complaint be viewed as petty since it doesn't involve anything you need assistance with and doesn't affect your enjoyment of the cruise at all. It's just venting on a forum about interaction between a company and its consumers?

Also, while you may be happy sleeping on a deck for a week with bad iced tea, If that is not the vacation I paid for, then I don't want it.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Bad customer service is caused by bad customer service. If a company provides uniformly bad service bc of a few hard to please customers, then that would be extra bad.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
@Kim Allred welcome to the Forum! We would love to have you hang around. Is there anything in particular we can help you with?

Many of us love cruising and help other cruisers when we can. :)

Feb 9, 2016
@Kim Allred I have to say, I agree with you. It seems people dont allow for hiccups these days, the expect perfection. When they dont get perfection the complain expecting compensation, even if it was a situation beyond everyone's control. We see a fair amount of cruise complaints and they always request a total refund, not stopping to consider that they ate the food, used the amenities, etc for the duration of the vacation. Their pre paid wifi is out and they expect more than just a refund of wifi costs. It's pretty incredible!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I also agree with Kim. Some of the issues here are ridiculous but we still are here to try to help people so our job is to guide them on how to get their issues fixed if they can be.

I myself went on a 3 night cruise in November and we didn't make it to either of the two ports we were scheduled for. It was basically a cruise to nowhere but on the last day they stopped in Freeport to get us off the ship. That was a total waste because the entire island was still closed from the hurricane a few weeks back.

I didn't even consider asking for money back or even port fees. It was what it was and that is the nature of cruising. But I would bet if others on that ship knew we were here, they would have been demanding money back. We long ago learned to roll with the punches.

But thats just me and everyone isn't like that and as a volunteer I suck it up and give them the best advise I can to help them whether I think it is ridiculous or not.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
An excellent post, Kim! Personally, I couldn't agree with you more. The endless whining and demands for compensation because of mere inconveniences are really annoying. And I also agree that the petty whining does make normal customer service less effective.

It just stands to reason that CS people who take six calls, and four of them are whining about little things, are likely to be not as interested in and helpful to the other two callers.

We have a policy here of always trying to be supportive of our OPs, and help them find a solution to their problems. Sometimes it's difficult to relate to them, but several of us usually find a way. Welcome to the forum ... we hope you'll stick around.

Nov 14, 2016
While hesitant to post in this thread because I'm not sure this is the type of discussion this forum needs, it's a bit hard to resist because like everyone else I'm inclined to agree with the original poster - at least on some complaints.

I think the complaints on this forum can be broken down into thirds.

One third of the complaints are legitimate, valid consumer issues. Everyone wants to help these folks and many people go out of their way to do so. We see fake rental car damage claims, drained gift cards, canceled flights where the airline doesn't want to refund money, etc. and we want to get those issues rectified. These are the stories that this forum was founded for and it feels good when we help one of those consumers triumph.

One third of the complaints are by inexperienced travelers who generally unaware of the rules and therefore are looking to get an exception to policies. So we see people who don't understand that cruises can change their itineraries, people trying to pursue refunds on non-refundable airfare, etc. We try to help on those but we all know there's really little we can do because the travel companies hear complaints of those sort all the time and we also know that - deep down - this is really the fault of the consumer. Still, we feel badly for them because the rules are Byzantine and it's almost impossible for an inexperienced traveler to know how to prepare for all of these eventualities. So we give them a hand and hope for the best.

Then there's the last third. The entitled third. People who think that while boarding last on a plane that somehow overhead space should be reserved for them, people who think that they can sue the CEO of a company and expect us to help collect their judgement, people who think they can buy from a company whose name starts with "Cheapo" and get first class service. It's hard to hold my tongue on these cases and I don't think we do these consumers any good by coddling them and treating their complaints as valid. I think we look bad trying to advocate or help someone with a clearly illegitimate or unreasonable demand and I think it would do some good if we told these people they were being unreasonable. Some people simply need to hear the truth. But since the rules of this website is to try to help everyone, I try to nicely explain why we probably can't help them and redirect them elsewhere. But I refuse to help them further their cause because fundamentally it's the wrong thing to do. Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons is still the wrong thing.

It's human nature to remember the last third more than the first third which is why you have to celebrate the successes. That's why I break this forum up into thirds - so that every time I see one of the last third it's a reminder that one of the first group was also helped and thus the whole exercise is worthwhile.

Dec 26, 2014
I absolutely agree that helping the third group in the post by Kahhss is a case of doing the wrong thing for the right reasons. It is not just the original posters that benefit (the entitled ones per the post) or that need to know something is not reasonable. All of us that read the forums can learn from these cases. What can/should we ask for, what should we know up front, what are reasonable expectations? That is one of the big services this site does, alerting consumers to what is reasonable and providing enough information for us to BE good consumers.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
@Kahhss - I find I agree with your assessment. I'd never studied or broken down the types of issues with which we are approached, but the "thirds" theory seems to work:)

Legitimate - Inexperienced - Entitled. Those subsets are gonna be in my mind when I read new posts.

Thanks for the post!
I wonder if you noticed, cp556, that our OPs are now grouped in L.I.E. Gotta love it!

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Just keep in mind we help everybody. Its not our place to judge is someone is worthy of help or not. Having said that, no one is forcing anyone to respond to a post. If you think their case isnt worthy of help, then simply don't respond.

Regarding airlines bins, the greedy airlines started the bin wars by their ala carte pricing. 10 years ago bin space wasn't an issue because you could check two bags for free. Cheapo and service doesn't mean world class service but should mean some service.

There are plenty of sites out there that allow their users to judge each other. This isn't one of them. We help everyone.

Last edited:

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
What's good for the goose...
...can get the goose cooked. Like I noted, there are other forums out there for those that don't like the rules. And those rules aren't made up by me but by the guy whose name is on the website. The forums have always been stricter than the blog comments because of our mission.

In any event, we don't promise a resolution. We do promise to help people help themselves.

May 17, 2016
While hesitant to post in this thread because I'm not sure this is the type of discussion this forum needs, it's a bit hard to resist because like everyone else I'm inclined to agree with the original poster - at least on some complaints.

I think the complaints on this forum can be broken down into thirds.

One third of the complaints are legitimate, valid consumer issues. Everyone wants to help these folks and many people go out of their way to do so. We see fake rental car damage claims, drained gift cards, canceled flights where the airline doesn't want to refund money, etc. and we want to get those issues rectified. These are the stories that this forum was founded for and it feels good when we help one of those consumers triumph.

One third of the complaints are by inexperienced travelers who generally unaware of the rules and therefore are looking to get an exception to policies. So we see people who don't understand that cruises can change their itineraries, people trying to pursue refunds on non-refundable airfare, etc. We try to help on those but we all know there's really little we can do because the travel companies hear complaints of those sort all the time and we also know that - deep down - this is really the fault of the consumer. Still, we feel badly for them because the rules are Byzantine and it's almost impossible for an inexperienced traveler to know how to prepare for all of these eventualities. So we give them a hand and hope for the best.

Then there's the last third. The entitled third. People who think that while boarding last on a plane that somehow overhead space should be reserved for them, people who think that they can sue the CEO of a company and expect us to help collect their judgement, people who think they can buy from a company whose name starts with "Cheapo" and get first class service. It's hard to hold my tongue on these cases and I don't think we do these consumers any good by coddling them and treating their complaints as valid. I think we look bad trying to advocate or help someone with a clearly illegitimate or unreasonable demand and I think it would do some good if we told these people they were being unreasonable. Some people simply need to hear the truth. But since the rules of this website is to try to help everyone, I try to nicely explain why we probably can't help them and redirect them elsewhere. But I refuse to help them further their cause because fundamentally it's the wrong thing to do. Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons is still the wrong thing.

It's human nature to remember the last third more than the first third which is why you have to celebrate the successes. That's why I break this forum up into thirds - so that every time I see one of the last third it's a reminder that one of the first group was also helped and thus the whole exercise is worthwhile.
Very good analysis. I totally agree.