Compensation for Canceled Flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 30, 2017
We booked a flight through United, and were scheduled to fly on Air Canada. While on the tarmac awaiting our turn to take off our Air Canada flight was canceled due to "traffic control problems". Air Canada refused to help us both at the airport and on their Customer Service on the phone. United Customer Service re-booked us on the same flight for the next day. We had to stay overnight. Do we address our request to be compensated for the hotel and dinner to Air Canada or United Airlines? Is this a viable request to the airlines?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I'm not understanding how traffic control problems can be attirbuted to either United or Air Canada.
Do you doubt the reason given for the cancelled flight?

Jul 30, 2017
There was no particular reason given for the air traffic control problem. We were in line on the tarmac to take off from Pittsburgh for Toronto. I view that as airline or FAA problem, not a weather related problem and therefor their screw up. So I believe they should compensate us for the hotel and dinner. Or they should have supplied the hotel and meal, but Air Canada refused to do anything.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
There was no particular reason given for the air traffic control problem. We were in line on the tarmac to take off from Pittsburgh for Toronto. I view that as airline or FAA problem, not a weather related problem and therefor their screw up. So I believe they should compensate us for the hotel and dinner. Or they should have supplied the hotel and meal, but Air Canada refused to do anything.
It an FAA problem, it's not the fault of the airline at all. You certainly don't think the pilot could have said "too bad, I'm taking off anyway" do you? Were other planes pulled back as well?

Maybe kenish can check and see what the official word is.

Did you have travel insurance? That would reimburse you.

You can use our company contacts and write to the airline and ask for some type of credit for a future flight and see what they say. The worse they can say is no,but you might find someone who gives you a future credit for the inconvenience.

Sep 19, 2015
Was the ATC problem at Pittsburgh or Toronto?

Several years ago I was flying out of Pittsburgh to Newark and the plane was delayed for hours because of ATC at Newark. The flight was not permitted to take off from Pittsburgh. The weather was fine in PIttsburgh, it was all ATC at EWR. This was on United. I could not fault UA for this. This was truly out of their control and if ATC says the flight is not leaving it is not leaving.

Jul 30, 2017
Thanks to all of you for your input. That's why I asked before contacting Air Canada or United Airlines. I have been personally fortunate in my past travels and have only read of other peoples travel problems in Christoper Elliott's column. I did purchase travel protection and will file a claim with them.

Sep 19, 2015
Good for you for buying the insurance this is just what it is designed for. You did nothing wrong, it seems that the airline did nothing wrong, and you incurred an extra expense.

Hopefully the claim will be processed quickly.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks to all of you for your input. That's why I asked before contacting Air Canada or United Airlines. I have been personally fortunate in my past travels and have only read of other peoples travel problems in Christoper Elliott's column. I did purchase travel protection and will file a claim with them.
Thankfully - someone who DOES listen to us about insurance, lol! You actually should have called the insurance company when this happened because they would have told you how much they would reimburse. They have a certain dollar amount per night if they offer insurance for air delays and will only reimburse up to whatever that coverage was.

Jul 30, 2017
My theory has always been .. the person, or company, who causes the damage should be the one to pay. Unfortunately airlines have skated out of paying too often in many areas. The couple we were traveling with had their suitcase broken by Air Canada twice. The first time they replaced it, no questions asked. Second time (they broke the new suitcase) they said to file a claim and follow up when you get home. Guess our friends will be buying themselves another suitcase out of their own pocket (I don't know if they purchased insurance). So, whatever the insurance company pays me I will accept. What other recourse do I have? Happy and safe travels !!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My theory has always been .. the person, or company, who causes the damage should be the one to pay. Unfortunately airlines have skated out of paying too often in many areas. The couple we were traveling with had their suitcase broken by Air Canada twice. The first time they replaced it, no questions asked. Second time (they broke the new suitcase) they said to file a claim and follow up when you get home. Guess our friends will be buying themselves another suitcase out of their own pocket (I don't know if they purchased insurance). So, whatever the insurance company pays me I will accept. What other recourse do I have? Happy and safe travels !!
It is actually more than that. If you travel outside the U.S., in most cases your medical insurance will not cover you if you are hospitalized or need to see a doctor - you need travel insurance. If you need to be medically evacuated while traveling, most policies offer some type of evacuation. If yous fall and break a leg before you leave - insurance will reimburse you for your trip. And then those little things like delayed flights or flights canceled for weather - the right insurance will repay you for a hotel.

We love smart consumers.

But you know what? I would still write to United and ask for a future credit for the inconvenience. All they can say is no and they might just give you a little something for what you went through.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I have been reading Christopher's column for quite some time and try to learn from other's mistakes.
Nothing makes us feel more wonderful than hearing this, Ken! Thank you for telling us. For our other readers: if your credit card does not have built-in insurance perks, buy travel insurance ... unless you don't mind paying your own expenses on an occasion like this.

Mar 10, 2015
Nothing makes us feel more wonderful than hearing this, Ken! Thank you for telling us. For our other readers: if your credit card does not have built-in insurance perks, buy travel insurance ... unless you don't mind paying your own expenses on an occasion like this.
I often help out passengers that post a problem or issue they're having with United Airlines to the airline's Facebook page. And I have a couple questions. I haven't recommended travel insurance because I thought the prices I've seen quoted from people were too high. Are prices really expensive and for those traveling on a budget would you still recommend it?

And I've seen a number of complaints on United's Facebook page from people that used a link on United's website to purchase travel insurance through Allianz Global and when they needed it they couldn't get reimbursed or their claims were denied and they felt ripped off.
Have you all heard similar complaints about Allianz Global?

And yes, I do highly recommend Elliott.org to the people I help and I do have a direct link to corporate contact information for United Airlines on the Facebook page I created to help out United passengers with helpful information, tips, and advice.

Any helpful information you can pass along would be greatly appreciated and will be passed on to others looking for help.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Michael Bean A good travel insurance policy will run between 5 - 10% of the covered amount based on age.

Here my thing when it comes to travel insurance... very trip is insured. It just matters if your pass the risk off to an insurance company or assume it yourself.

Mar 10, 2015
@Michael Bean A good travel insurance policy will run between 5 - 10% of the covered amount based on age.

Here my thing when it comes to travel insurance... very trip is insured. It just matters if your pass the risk off to an insurance company or assume it yourself.
But what if you purchase travel insurance and they do nothing to help you. Wouldn't that be a waste of money if you still don't get reimbursed for something that's supposed to be covered?
That has been the complaint I've seen regarding people that clicked on a link on United's website and purchased travel insurance through Allianz Global.
Someone mentioned that on the website "Ripoff Report" there were over 20,000 complaints regarding United Airlines and Allianz Global. That would lead me to believe that travel insurance is a ripoff. Or possibly that just Allianz Global is a ripoff...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I often help out passengers that post a problem or issue they're having with United Airlines to the airline's Facebook page. And I have a couple questions. I haven't recommended travel insurance because I thought the prices I've seen quoted from people were too high. Are prices really expensive and for those traveling on a budget would you still recommend it?

And I've seen a number of complaints on United's Facebook page from people that used a link on United's website to purchase travel insurance through Allianz Global and when they needed it they couldn't get reimbursed or their claims were denied and they felt ripped off.
Have you all heard similar complaints about Allianz Global?

And yes, I do highly recommend Elliott.org to the people I help and I do have a direct link to corporate contact information for United Airlines on the Facebook page I created to help out United passengers with helpful information, tips, and advice.

Any helpful information you can pass along would be greatly appreciated and will be passed on to others looking for help.
There are various policie and all are based on trip price and your age. The higher the trip the higher the cost but there are different levels of coverage you can buy based on need.

If everyone that sent in isses had bought insurance, we'd probably have 80% less cases here.

There is a thread in the insurance forum that explains it all.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
But what if you purchase travel insurance and they do nothing to help you. Wouldn't that be a waste of money if you still don't get reimbursed for something that's supposed to be covered?
That has been the complaint I've seen regarding people that clicked on a link on United's website and purchased travel insurance through Allianz Global.
Someone mentioned that on the website "Ripoff Report" there were over 20,000 complaints regarding United Airlines and Allianz Global. That would lead me to believe that travel insurance is a ripoff. Or possibly that just Allianz Global is a ripoff...
Use a travel agent. We tell our clients what they need for a claim and if the claim
is denied we help them and so do other real travel agents. In 16 years I have never had a client who filed an insurance claim had a claim denied.

Most claims are declined because of issues with paperwork sent in.

Mar 10, 2015
Use a travel agent. We tell our clients what they need for a claim and if the claim
is denied we help them and so do other real travel agents. In 16 years I have never had a client who filed an insurance claim had a claim denied.

Most claims are declined because of issues with paperwork sent in.
You mentioned: "Most claims are declined because of issues with paperwork sent in"

If there are over 20,000 complaints regarding United Airlines and Allianz Global on just 1 website then that seems to indicate there's a problem with the insurance company, not the paperwork and thus shouldn't United be working to improve Allianz Global or remove the link from their website?

As it sounds like you are saying that people getting travel insurance would be better off getting it through the help of a travel agent in order to make use of it seems to be a non-starter for those trying to save money. Why buy a product that probably can't help me unless I have to spend even more money to a travel agent in order to make use of the travel insurance.

And if I did some research before purchasing travel insurance and saw 10's of thousands of complaints against the company being recommended by the airline I would probably assume the airline and/or insurance company is running a scam and purchasing travel insurance would be a waste of time.

And as per your other post, if I do run into people having insurance issues I'll make sure to direct them to this website.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
You mentioned: "Most claims are declined because of issues with paperwork sent in"

If there are over 20,000 complaints regarding United Airlines and Allianz Global on just 1 website then that seems to indicate there's a problem with the insurance company, not the paperwork and thus shouldn't United be working to improve Allianz Global or remove the link from their website?

As it sounds like you are saying that people getting travel insurance would be better off getting it through the help of a travel agent in order to make use of it seems to be a non-starter for those trying to save money. Why buy a product that probably can't help me unless I have to spend even more money to a travel agent in order to make use of the travel insurance.

And if I did some research before purchasing travel insurance and saw 10's of thousands of complaints against the company being recommended by the airline I would probably assume the airline and/or insurance company is running a scam and purchasing travel insurance would be a waste of time.

And as per your other post, if I do run into people having insurance issues I'll make sure to direct them to this website.
Most of the passengers on UA or frankly any other airline who purchase Travel Insurance and then have problems collecting is due to (normally) failure to read and understand (Prior to purchasing that offered policy) the terms, what's included or excluded. Those $35 policies offered by the airlines are very specific on what is covered. Second, you have to actually file a claim and not go on Facebook (or to your complaint page) and scream that United or whoever charged them fees, etc and they bought TI, the airline does not pay the insurance claims. And Yes, lack of paperwork, if little Johnny or Susie ended up in the ER the night before the big Hawaii trip you have to file a claim, supply medical records proving it and anything else the TI company wants. Invasion of privacy, you bet but that's what insurance companies do.
Allianz who you point out above is no different. They offer policies thru many airlines and are very specific about what they cover or exclude. They are not any more difficult than any other Travel Insurance provider, no scam, you simply need to purchase a policy that covers what is most important to you.
Advocate Advice: Don't purchase the policies issued thru any airline. Get your TI thru an outside vendor who will listen to your specific needs and recommend several policies at different price points that fill your need.

PS on United's website when they offer to sell you TI all you need to do is click on the link to see what it covers and excludes. You can even print it out. So is this a scam? No