Comfort Inns Doesn't Care

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 13, 2016
I booked a hotel room at the Comfort Inn in Avon IN for night of 23 Apr. I saw what I thought was a double billing on my credit card and challenged it through my bank. They got documentation from from Comfort Inn that I indeed had booked two rooms. I obviously made a mistake when booking and asked Comfort Inn to cancel one room but because the room were on a special guarantted non-cancellable rate, they refused to do so. Cost of both rooms is $161.80. I called customer service and explained situation and they refused to help. Then I wrote email (below) to the first contact on the Comfort Inn executive list and they refused to consider my request. Here is the email exchange:
crexecutive@choicehotels.com

6:24 AM (6 hours ago)

to me

Dear Gene,
My name is Paula and I am emailing on behalf of the Executive Offices of Choice Hotels. It is a pleasure to assist you.

I can understand who upsetting and frustrating this is to find yourself with 2 rooms instead of 1 and I apologize this has been your experience.
I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience to you that this may have caused you. According to our records, when this reservation was made the Advance Purchase was selected in order to receive the discounted rate of up to 20% off the nightly room rate. When confirming the reservation there is a Guarantee Policy that is required to be agreed to in order to proceed with the reservation. This policy states that this is a pre-paid and non-cancellable rate plan. It will also show the number of rooms reserved. Once your reservation is confirmed, cancellations or changes are not allowed. No refunds or credits for early departure, cancellation or no-show. It requires payment for the entire stay and is fully non-refundable

Choice Hotels strives to provide dependable service at reasonable prices to all of our guests. We hope you will look to our hotels to provide quality accommodations for you in the future.

Sincerely,
Paula M
Executive Guest Services
tel 1.800.435.8595
fax 1.602.953.4953
crexecutive@choicehotels.com

Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2018 4:03:05 PM
To: Chelsie McLaughlin
Subject: Mistake in Guaranteed Reservation

To: Chelsie McLaughlin
Operations Manager, Guest Services
Dear Ms McLaughlin
I'm writing to you for assistance in a booking at your property in Avon IN on April 23 under confirmation No 5xxxxxxx. I booked the reservation online intending to book one room but somehow the booking process made an error and I ended up with two confirmed, non-cancelable rooms. I didn't realize this until my bank showed what I thought was a double billing
I called your customer reservation number today but they declined to help me

Whether the mistake was mine or a computer glitch. I only want one room and am asking for Comfort Inns to cancel the other room. I've always had excellent service from Comfort Inns and in fact am staying at your Muncie facility for 6 days on this trip. Since I am retired, I have to watch every penny.
I would appreciate your approval of my request. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can move to the next executive on the list.
Unfortunately, it’s a tough lesson to learn about those nonrefundable rates.

Did you receive 2 separate confirmations?

Be polite and tell the next Executive you know you are asking for a favor but really can’t afford 2 rooms and ask if a one time exception can be made

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Unfortunately, credit card disputes are set up to help you when you've already done everything possible to rectify the situation. Once you file, the hotel has to spend time justifying their position so as not to lose the revenue. This makes them cranky when you do get in touch with them and ask for an exception. I'm sorry you had to learn this the hard way. Booking restricted change/cancel rooms to save a few dollars just isn't worth it.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
On the credit card dispute ... I'm just curious. Did your CC issuer lay out the "rules" of disputing a charge? Were they clear that you should attempt to fix the problem directly before filing a dispute? If the CC issuers are not telling their customers how/why/when a CC dispute is in order, it's no wonder there seems to be so much confusion.

Sep 13, 2016
On the credit card dispute ... I'm just curious. Did your CC issuer lay out the "rules" of disputing a charge? Were they clear that you should attempt to fix the problem directly before filing a dispute? If the CC issuers are not telling their customers how/why/when a CC dispute is in order, it's no wonder there seems to be so much confusion.
In

Sep 13, 2016
After writing to Jamie Russo, a VP with Comfort Inns, I received a favorable response and Comfort Inns cancelled the unwanted room. Lesson learned however to be much more careful in booking my reservations. My past experience with Comfort Inn has been exceptional, especially with their Muncie IN facility.

Sep 13, 2016
Another smaller lesson would be not to write defammatory headlines before trying to work it out.
Really, Comfort Inn was non responsive on my first 3 attempts. I told it like it was and I'll not be kiss-ass. I hardly consider my headline to be defammatory

Sep 13, 2016
Glad it worked. The real lesson is to stay away from nonrefundable rates. To save $30 a night isn’t worth what can happen when you make a mistake.
The problem wasn't the nonrefundable rate but that I didn't check closely enough to insure what I thought I'd done was correct the first time around

Sep 13, 2016
You can move to the next executive on the list.
Unfortunately, it’s a tough lesson to learn about those nonrefundable rates.

Did you receive 2 separate confirmations?

Be polite and tell the next Executive you know you are asking for a favor but really can’t afford 2 rooms and ask if a one time exception can be made

Thanks for your advice Neil. It worked. I remained polite and was rewarded with a positive response. The problem with policies is that they rarely can be over ridden except at the VP level and above. Comfort Inn and I both come out winners this time

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The problem wasn't the nonrefundable rate but that I didn't check closely enough to insure what I thought I'd done was correct the first time around
Yes the problem WAS the nonrefundable rate. Had you booked the refundable rate you could have easily canceled the second reservation.

It ended well- our company contacts helped. Often things don’t get fixed until an executive gets involved which is why we have those contacts for you.

Congratulations

Apr 8, 2018
After writing to Jamie Russo, a VP with Comfort Inns, I received a favorable response and Comfort Inns cancelled the unwanted room. Lesson learned however to be much more careful in booking my reservations. My past experience with Comfort Inn has been exceptional, especially with their Muncie IN facility.
I'm exactly in the same situation at this time. Would really appreciate if you could share Jamie Russos contact?