Comenity banks debt on credit card I never received

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 6, 2018
On September 2016 I was offered a credit card at a Victoria secret store in Miami, in exchange of a discount on my purchase. The cashier asked for my social, some ID and address.
At the time I used to live at a rental vacation property, we didn’t have mailbox, we couldn’t get any mail delivered there so we had a P.O. BOX. At USPS.
After spending a few days in Miami we traveled for 5 months abroad, came back on February 2017 and moved to another city.
All my mail went to the PO BOX, bills, other cards, personal info, etc. I updated my address with USPS to the new city.
Two weeks ago I received a call from collection Diversified Consultants, they say I owe $296 to Comenity Bank.
I never received a card, not at the time of my purchase or in the mail.
I never activated any account
I never made any purchase myself through Comenity Bank.
I sent a letter to Doversified consultants asking for more information, they say the debt is valid, they sent a balance from the bank, but they don’t tell me:
- When and where was that credit card delivered.? When was it activivated and how?? when was the purchase made? How was it made (store or online)? What was purchased ? Is there a signature ? Address to where the goods were delivered ??
If someone received the card, they need my information to activate it, right? I never received any email, o letter from Comenity Bank, balance, nothing until 2 weeks ago from Collections.
Thanks for the advice you can provide.

Mar 17, 2015
Did you put the purchase on a different credit card? I am sure with late fees and such that the amount due is more than the initial purchase price. You effectively activated the card when you agreed to receive the discount for applying. Of course, if you can show that you paid (on a different card) the amount of the purchase from that date, then you may have a case of this being a fraudulent charge. Of course, sometimes those have to be disputed within so many days, which is why you still may have some legwork to get it resolved.

Feb 21, 2018
Comenity Bank manages a number of store-branded cards. They currently manage the card accounts for a retailer I used to work for.

When the associate at Victoria's Secret offered you the card in exchange for the discount, by providing all your personal information you accepted that offer to open up a credit card. That day, you 'activated' your account and presumably made a purchase on that activated account. You would have been given a temporary card which is normally nothing more than a slip of receipt paper that has your new account number coded into it. That slip of paper would act as your credit card until your permanent card was received in the mail and activated.

If you didn't purchase anything else at Victoria's Secret after that day, then I would presume that the $296 they are asking for now is the balance of that original purchase plus interest and late fees. From September 2016 when the purchase was made through now it's easy to understand how a relatively small purchase could balloon into a large amount (Comenity's late fee runs about $25/month - so all those missed monthly statements add up).

As another has stated, it's going to take some legwork with both Comenity and the collections agency to clear this up. You may be able to get a chunk of the late fees waived based on your view that the statements were never delivered.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If that’s the case- then it’s really not the banks fault. No one would assume you wouldn’t pick up your mail for 5 months. This is certainly a first here.

I’m with the others- if it’s the purchase you made at the store- you owe the money unless you paid on a different card. See if you can get them to waive some of the late fees.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Successful advocacy runs on details. You made a purchase and were offered a discount to open a CC account. Then you left town a few days later. You aren't stating how you paid for that purchase. Seems that's the crux of the matter. How did you pay for your purchase 18 months ago?

Jul 6, 2018
To be honest I thought I paid with my debit card (Wells Fargo) that day. Someone picked up my mail while I wasn’t in town, I received a lot A LOT of mail but never a credit card from VS.
I closed that debit card (Wells Fargo) account on February of this year, so to check on the statements I had to go to the bank and ask for copies (it was Friday so I had to wait until Monday)
I disputed the collection on my credit on Thursday, thinking it was really a mistake, and today I checked and the collection was removed and my credit score jumped 146 points
Should I contact the collection company again?
Is it really removed?
Thanks again

Mar 17, 2015
It may just be temporarily removed while the reporting agency waits on proof. I agree with Neil, if you do not have a record of the payment, then you should pay, asking for a waiver of some of the late fees.

Jul 6, 2018
I don’t, it’s a purchase I made in 2016. And I had no idea I didn’t pay for the items, (if that was really the case)
My question is, if the collect was removed from my credit, am I still in trouble?!

Jul 6, 2018
It’s $300, the problem is not the money but how has hurt my credit, when I pay the amount, will the inquiry be removed and my credit will improve? Or will it remain even after paid??

Mar 17, 2015
You could pay a nominal fee to access your older checking/debit account records. Banks still have those, they just charge a fee to retrieve them.
I really think it was just temporarily removed, however, I am not an expert and have no way of guaranteeing anything. We are all volunteers here just sharing our knowledge.

I want to say that disputed amounts are removed for up to 30 days while the credit reporting agency contacts the debt holder to verify the amount. So, if contacted, the debt holder may show that you never paid the amount and back onto your report it goes. If you want to clear this up, go back to the bank, pay for the older records and see if you have a charge for the original amount. If you do, then you need to show that to the credit agency you disputed with and also with the current debt holder. Then, it should clear it up and not be back.

Sep 19, 2015
I agree with Tanya. I believe it is only temporarily removed as that is part of the process with verifying the debt.

You can ask the bank for a past statement but may have to pay for that as you are no longer a customer.

Often these things do not go away but a different debt collector assumes the debt and tries again.

A debt collector called the landline looking for a neighbor— seriously — and said if you see X tell them to call Bank Y. I said I am not your messenger service do not bother me again. 3 months later a similar call and I said I told you not to call and they claimed to be a different company looking for X and tell them to call Bank Y.

Jul 6, 2018
I was sure I didn’t owe any money, 100% sure!! I pay everything before my date due, trying HARD to build my credit. I never checked my credit score before until now.
After I read the first comment I wanted to kill myself (lol) I never thought about that. I will ask for my old statements, but it makes sense.
My interest is not to avoid the payment but to erase this episode from my credit... I plan bigger things in this country.
After 4 years I still have a secured card on my business account, now I understand why the bank does not trust me :(
Will a letter asking forgiveness to the collector will make this away, of course after I pay my debt? Just paying my debt can erase that collection? Sorry for all this questions, but I’m new and learning

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you haven't paid the bill, it can remain on your credit report for up to 7 years. You received a discount on the purchase because it was charged to your new account. The reply you received - that they refused to waive it because it was a legitimate charge - leads us to believe that is how you charged the purchase. Pay it. Once you pay it, then the account will show as up to date but the late payments will remain until it naturally falls off - which can be up to 7 years.

You can write a statement to be added to your credit report explaining your side of the story but it doesn't make them take the late payment off. It has to roll off in time.

Did the VS purchases come to around $300? If it did - you have your answer. It was charged to the credit card you opened. And it's really not the fault of the bank that you had things sitting in a PO box for so long. The PO might also have returned mail that didn't fit in the box anymore so that might be why you never received the card.