Comcast Xfinity fails to restore service, cancels technician appointmen

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 8, 2018
I have been a Comcast Xfinity customer at my current address for 5 years. I found out my internet service was operating at 50-60% since mid September. This week my cable connection went down. After 1 technician visit on Thursday, I was told my cable was improperly installed but through a neighbor’s unit. I got access and permission and scheduled a follow up for yesterday but Comcast failed to show up for the appointment. The agents - 12 since yesterday gave different explanations but bottom line is I am still without cable TV, cable internet for the 5th day. Unbelievably bad customer service. Anyone have a suggestion for how I can get service back? Should I switch to AT&T? Thanks!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I have been a Comcast Xfinity customer at my current address for 5 years. I found out my internet service was operating at 50-60% since mid September. This week my cable connection went down. After 1 technician visit on Thursday, I was told my cable was improperly installed but through a neighbor’s unit. I got access and permission and scheduled a follow up for yesterday but Comcast failed to show up for the appointment. The agents - 12 since yesterday gave different explanations but bottom line is I am still without cable TV, cable internet for the 5th day. Unbelievably bad customer service. Anyone have a suggestion for how I can get service back? Should I switch to AT&T? Thanks!
Reach out by email to cust serve: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/comcast/

ATT is not exactly known for good customer service. You would have no assurance of better service or of better customer support. You may also find ATT internet speeds are slower depending on your location.

Dec 8, 2018
Thank you for the response. I also worry about that. But right now I have 0% services from Comcast-Xfinity. I also learned from a friend that Google WiFi Can augment the internet reliability by connecting to the modem and spreading the signal throughout the home.

Dec 8, 2018
Update: after documenting the service problems and contacting the Comcast corporate offices, I was contacted by an Executive Customer Experience officer and a technician arrived at the scheduled time. This technician was far more knowledgeable and experienced than the prior one and actually diagnosed and repaired the connection. It appeared that a technician for another unit or on a troubleshooting appointment physically disconnected my unit’s cable in the central cable box. While I’m grateful for the help, I am disappointed it took 13 calls/chats and multiple emails, this posting and contacting a local news organization. Comcast has a long way to go in realizing it’s promose of a good customer experience. But I’m thankful after 5 days of no service and 3 months of internet problems. Still considering switching providers. Any advice? Thanks again!!!!

Dec 8, 2018
What I’m most upset by is that the main problem was that a Comcast-Xfinity technician on a different visit disconnected my cable. Why this happened I have no idea but

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thanks. Spectrum, Monkey Brain, AT&T are available. Unfortunately Sonic is not yet available.
Spectrum is an acceptable alternative, but there is no assurance that their cust serv is any different or better. I have Comcast at one location and Spectrum at another. They cost about the same (although you will get the intro 12-24 mos offer if you switch). Cust serv is about the same. You should find out if they have comparable internet speeds available in your area.

I recently had a major slowdown (not loss of service) in internet speed and Comcast sent a tech out on Sunday. He replaced the modem with a newer one. This did not solve the problem. I called Comcast the next day (Monday) and they sent a tech in 1 hr who discovered an amplifier in the main cable box that was bad and replaced it. This solved the problem. The first tech was a relatively junior tech and did not go to the next problem-solving step. The second tech was more experienced and fixed the problem.

Regardless of who you use for cable/internet services, there are going to be more and less experienced techs to fix anything, just like your car, appliances, etc. If you are satisfied now with your current status of service I would wait and see. Also, make sure that all of your hardware is the most current from Comcast.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I know you are angry now but perhaps give yourself a cooling off period before you do anything. If you’ve had them for five years and this is the first problem you’ve had, I might let it go. It seems what you experienced is incompetent servicemen and it is fixed finally.

What I would suggest is trying to get a partial credit for the months you’ve had this slowdown and outage.
Write a letter in bullet format noting when you started noticing the slow down and the many service calls, culminating in what was fixed yesterday. Ask for a full credit for the actual outage dats and a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience since the summer.

This is clearly incompetence by what you posted. If you’ve been happy with the service up to this, just consider this before making a final decision.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I have to agree with Neil's rationale and basic advice. Technicians' experience and skills vary widely. Disconnecting things and crossing wires when working on the lines happens much too often. I've had terrible problems with ATT's home service, but never an issue with ComCast at the office. Our older building is small, with maybe a dozen different tenants. Whenever anyone has a change in service, there's often a glitch in a different office. I learned long ago to ask the tech to come by my office when s/he was finished, just to make sure my service was still working.

Sep 20, 2015
Another issue with Comcast/Xfinity--they often use contract technicians. I've found these technicians (who are generally brought in from far and wide) don't know nearly as much as Comcast's own people, particularly on the vagaries of the local systems. If you can, insist on a Comcast-employed technician, and don't accept the word of the contract techs.

I switched over to Xfinity voice a few years ago...my house alarm is hooked to the phone system, and the contract tech swore up and down it would work. Needless to say, it didn't. The Comcast tech who came out after my complaint said the previous guy totally botched the installation. The Comcast guy sees these local alarm company set ups all the time, so he knew exactly what to do.

Dec 8, 2018
Thanks for those insights. Sorry for your service problems. Comcast-Xfinity clearly cares more about spending on marketing rather than enduring its services actually work.

Jul 13, 2016
Every provider has good techs and bad techs. Every provider promises, promises, promises, and then fails on delivery. It comes down to the devil you know, versus the devil you don't.

I have high speed internet included in my HOA fees and my city is the provider. To change to AT&T would be paying twice, so we keep what we have and it mostly is great. But suddenly one day, we started to get drop connections and general weirdness. We would type in Amazon and United Health would come up. Or we would just get a spinning wheel of death and then the server would say it could not connect. Turns out a new neighbor was given our IP address and when both he and I were trying to use the internet, it would send his search request to our computer and vice versa. Crazy stuff happens.

Ask for a credit for the 5 days, and ask for a senior tech the next time.

Sep 19, 2015
I agree that this is a telecom problem- Do not have Comcast (not in my area) but I have had issues with some of the other major providers.

And there are some of the companies that spend a lot on ads— I will never sign up witu Verizon as they spend so much on advertising.