Comcast reps won't answer fee question without our ordering service first.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 15, 2019
Background: we do not currently subscribe to Comcast. The cable is run to our property at the curb, but not to the house. As we are seriously considering a move from Verizon to Comcast (internet and voice only), we want to find out if there is a cost involved to run the cable from the curb to the house. I have done live chat today with a rep, who refuses to give an answer - he claims that the cost will be given to me after the installation, if there IS any cost.

I also called the New Customer number. That rep (likely from a foreign call center, based on his accent and odd grasp of English), also insisted that I would not get an answer (yes or no) about a cost to run the line from the curb to the house until after the installer finished.

BTW, the run for the cable would be about 30 feet or so. I find it disturbing that they will not disclose their answer as "yes" or "no", or check their records about the property - as if they know that the answer would kill the sale.

Does anyone know the answer to my question? Does Comcast charge extra for taking the cable from the street to the house?

Many thanks!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Explore other options like Dish etc before committing to Comcast. Once you have that information you can go back to Comcast and tell them you will go with the other option if they will not give you a firm answer to your question. If Comcast will still not answer your question, go with another provider.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018
I just had Comcast (cable and internet) installed at my new house and the tech had to run a line from the telephone pole to the house. No charge.

May 15, 2019
Does Comcast have a store in your area? You might get better results from visiting a Comcast store in person.
Interesting idea. I have one about 6 miles away. Perhaps they'd talk to a person who is not interested in tv if it's a slow day...

May 15, 2019
"Explore other options like Dish etc before committing to Comcast. Once you have that information you can go back to Comcast and tell them you will go with the other option if they will not give you a firm answer to your question. If Comcast will still not answer your question, go with another provider."

We do have quotes from Verizon - it's just that they are $21 per month more for similar service. But I was really impressed with the customer representative with whom I chatted. Perhaps she could work out a lower price if I took a longer contract. Worth considering.

Aug 30, 2015
Why don't you just give them your address, and ask them how much it is with installation? Do not talk about where you think their cable goes to. It is quite likely the issue is being complicated by asking them about the cable run, there normally isn't a charge for that if you are in their service area. Just normal installation.

Feb 21, 2018
I am not aware of any company that charges for the street to house hook up. The wiring from once from the house is your responsibility to fix it something goes wrong but the street to the house is theirs.
Years ago I worked for a natural gas public utility, and the first 100ft from the street to the house was free. Every foot after that was the customer's responsibility...so it may be possible that they have a similar arrangement.

Sep 19, 2015
I am not sure I would call them being obtuse. How can anyone give a reasonable estimate without seeing what the wiring situation is around the house:

There are similar questions posed to Comcast on the website:

“Hello dave_shoo, the information that (nerdburg) provided is correct. We do not wire homes but we can provide coax cable if needed, we will also run a line from the nearest pole to your home to bring services to you. But everything else inside you would have to hire a contractor to complete the work. Please reach back out to me here if you have any other questions or concerns.”

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/No-Cable-Lines/td-p/3069804

Maybe post on the Comcast forum—

Dec 19, 2014
I am not sure I would call them being obtuse. How can anyone give a reasonable estimate without seeing what the wiring situation is around the house:

I dunno what everyone else's experience, but having dealt with several companies in multiple houses, they will always quote you a BASIC instillation fee which includes a run from the curb to either the junction box in the house (if the house is cable ready), or install a basic outlet. This has been true with TWC (now Spectrum), and AT&T. Basic instillation has also included burying the cable. Of course they won't install wiring through the house, but installation to a single outlet is a standard installation

The telecom company wants subscribers. The money is made with the subscription not the installation. Unless the OP has a very complicated install (but per the OP's post, it is from curb to house for a total linear distance of 30 feet), Comcast is being obtuse.

Apr 9, 2019
Years ago they sent someone out to our place because they weren't sure that we were within the maximum distance without a charge. But they were very upfront about it on the phone. Maybe they won't send anyone anymore...too costly. As I recall the limit was about 200 feet, we were just over it, and the installer fudged the numbers a little. Call back and try for a supervisor.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
"Explore other options like Dish etc before committing to Comcast. Once you have that information you can go back to Comcast and tell them you will go with the other option if they will not give you a firm answer to your question. If Comcast will still not answer your question, go with another provider."

We do have quotes from Verizon - it's just that they are $21 per month more for similar service. But I was really impressed with the customer representative with whom I chatted. Perhaps she could work out a lower price if I took a longer contract. Worth considering.
Assuming you have the time, ody, I think a little comparison and negotiation will give you the best results over the long run. While I understand ComCast not letting their call center reps tell you the cost, those reps should be instructed to put you in touch with someone who can.

I've had ComCast for the office for years and found their service reps to be outstanding. I'd call them and ask to be put in touch with someone who knows what you're talking about ... they could probably steer you around the horror of the call center halfway around the world.

May 15, 2016
You are way overthinking this, and while they should have a better answer for you, maybe you and customer service just aren't communicating on the same wavelength, or they are not accustomed to this question. No, they do not charge to run the wires to your house. They don't charge for in the house wiring either. That is all part of the set-up.