Comcast: Promises one price, charges another

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
D

DavidB

As a followup, I received a phone call yesterday from a Jessica Fahrenholtz who claimed to be the supervisor of my original ECR contact. She offered to cut the HD and Adapter fees, but maintained the higher $104.99 rate. I declined. I am still waiting for the promised call back from a Maikel Toledo, from VP Tom Karinshak's office, with whom I spoke with last Friday. He indicated he would pass the info up and get back to me by Tuesday (yesterday) with either my original offer, or something comparable. Of course, I have not heard back from him. I wrote him yesterday to follow up, and interestingly enough, got a "Read" confirmation from Ms. Fahrenholtz, so she apparently has access to his e-mail. How incestuous.

Dec 28, 2015
When my previous Bundle Offer expired, I inquired with Comcast’s Executive Customer Relations office to see if I could lower my bill or if there were any similar pricing offers going on.

For reference purposes, I was previously paying $79.99/mos for Digital Preferred with OnDemand and Performance Internet plus Starz and HBO. On top of that is a $9.95/mos HD Fee, a $2.99 Additional Outlet Fee and their new $3.25 “Broadcast TV Fee” plus taxes. When that promo ended with my January bill, I was charged an additional $15/mos for the HBO.

I was called back a few days later by a Cheryl Jackleson here in Boston, and after discussing it with her, I was told that the old promotion with HBO and Starz was no longer available, and that HBO would be $15/mos more. I then asked what was available that would keep my bill about the same amount, and she stated she had the regular pricing for the Digital Preferred plus Performance Internet for the same price, but that it would not include HBO or Starz. We also discussed some other paired down packages, but at that time, she told me that none of them were available with HD service. Why would anyone today want Cable TV without HD? I then specifically reiterated with her that my bill under the regular pricing would be the same as it was, $79.99 plus the additional fees, for the same package, same TV and same Internet minus HBO and Starz, and she said yes. We were very clear about that. It was repeated twice. I agreed to that price and she said she would cut off the HBO and Starz and prorate my bill as of that day. Immediately, I no longer received HBO or Starz.

Yesterday I received my new bill, and, of course, it was higher. Instead of the $79.99 I was promised, my bill was 104.99 plus the taxes and fees, so, essentially $25/mos more than we agreed upon, for a total of $124.13. The HBO was prorated back, as we discussed. I immediately contacted ECR to inquire about the discrepancy, and Ms. Jackleson returned my inquiry the next day, of course calling me back on a number I have EXPLICITLY told Comcast NOT to call me on, and that is NOT associated with my account, my business cell phone. At this point, the lies and runaround began. She told me I was told that I was now in “2nd year pricing” something that was never mentioned before. She told me she “reviewed her notes” to which I replied that I would love to listen to a recording of the call. She misdirected and resorted to doublespeak, and kept trying to sell me on other things. I offered to come down to her office and sit and listen to the call with her, along with a rep. from the AG’s office, she changed the subject. Then she told me I have plenty of other choices for service, (I don’t) and when I asked her to name those, she again changed the subject and tried to misdirect. She told me I agreed to $104.99 which I did NOT, and NEVER would’ve. Why would I pay more than I was for less? Why would I pay more for a crippled double play package than a new customer could pay for a more feature rich TRIPLE Play package? Had I been told that I was going to charged $104.99 for what she was offering, I would’ve declined and told her no right then and there. I asked her if she could continue the conversation without lies and games, a simple Yes or NO, and she wouldn’t even answer that, and continued to misdirect and lie, and then she hung up when I became frustrated.

I called back the number and asked to speak with a Supervisor. After 3 disconnected switches to the 800 CS number, I reached a Helda in Plymouth, who had no direct line or extension, but reviewed the information she had in front of her, and told me she would escalate the call to a Supervisor would would supposedly pull the call to review and get back to me. Again, I offered to come down to the office so we could listen to the call together. I even offered to pay Comcast for that privilege, but she declined. And that’s where we stand at this point. Once again, we have to suffer through the lies and low rent games by this company. Once again, a customer is lied to. It’s bad enough we are constantly being ripped off by Comcast’s exorbitant charges for service, bundled with ever increasing rip-off “fees” and made up taxes, but we have to be repeatedly lied to on top of that, with little recourse due to their monopoly. I should note that my first bill after the old promo ended was at the old price, plus the $15, so this new price I am being charged is part of the game Ms. Jackleson played on me.

Follow Up:

Just received another call from the rep. claiming to have reviewed my call with Helda above. She went into a long spiel about other packages that we spoke of, continued the lie that HD was not available with any other package, and then lied and told me I was told of the higher price. When I offered to come down and listen to the recording of the call with her, she told me she could not do that. I even offered to pay Comcast $100 a month more if that recording proved that was what I was offered and agreed to, of course, she declined. No, Comcast would rather live in the lie than honor what they offer.
When my previous Bundle Offer expired, I inquired with Comcast’s Executive Customer Relations office to see if I could lower my bill or if there were any similar pricing offers going on.

For reference purposes, I was previously paying $79.99/mos for Digital Preferred with OnDemand and Performance Internet plus Starz and HBO. On top of that is a $9.95/mos HD Fee, a $2.99 Additional Outlet Fee and their new $3.25 “Broadcast TV Fee” plus taxes. When that promo ended with my January bill, I was charged an additional $15/mos for the HBO.

I was called back a few days later by a Cheryl Jackleson here in Boston, and after discussing it with her, I was told that the old promotion with HBO and Starz was no longer available, and that HBO would be $15/mos more. I then asked what was available that would keep my bill about the same amount, and she stated she had the regular pricing for the Digital Preferred plus Performance Internet for the same price, but that it would not include HBO or Starz. We also discussed some other paired down packages, but at that time, she told me that none of them were available with HD service. Why would anyone today want Cable TV without HD? I then specifically reiterated with her that my bill under the regular pricing would be the same as it was, $79.99 plus the additional fees, for the same package, same TV and same Internet minus HBO and Starz, and she said yes. We were very clear about that. It was repeated twice. I agreed to that price and she said she would cut off the HBO and Starz and prorate my bill as of that day. Immediately, I no longer received HBO or Starz.

Yesterday I received my new bill, and, of course, it was higher. Instead of the $79.99 I was promised, my bill was 104.99 plus the taxes and fees, so, essentially $25/mos more than we agreed upon, for a total of $124.13. The HBO was prorated back, as we discussed. I immediately contacted ECR to inquire about the discrepancy, and Ms. Jackleson returned my inquiry the next day, of course calling me back on a number I have EXPLICITLY told Comcast NOT to call me on, and that is NOT associated with my account, my business cell phone. At this point, the lies and runaround began. She told me I was told that I was now in “2nd year pricing” something that was never mentioned before. She told me she “reviewed her notes” to which I replied that I would love to listen to a recording of the call. She misdirected and resorted to doublespeak, and kept trying to sell me on other things. I offered to come down to her office and sit and listen to the call with her, along with a rep. from the AG’s office, she changed the subject. Then she told me I have plenty of other choices for service, (I don’t) and when I asked her to name those, she again changed the subject and tried to misdirect. She told me I agreed to $104.99 which I did NOT, and NEVER would’ve. Why would I pay more than I was for less? Why would I pay more for a crippled double play package than a new customer could pay for a more feature rich TRIPLE Play package? Had I been told that I was going to charged $104.99 for what she was offering, I would’ve declined and told her no right then and there. I asked her if she could continue the conversation without lies and games, a simple Yes or NO, and she wouldn’t even answer that, and continued to misdirect and lie, and then she hung up when I became frustrated.

I called back the number and asked to speak with a Supervisor. After 3 disconnected switches to the 800 CS number, I reached a Helda in Plymouth, who had no direct line or extension, but reviewed the information she had in front of her, and told me she would escalate the call to a Supervisor would would supposedly pull the call to review and get back to me. Again, I offered to come down to the office so we could listen to the call together. I even offered to pay Comcast for that privilege, but she declined. And that’s where we stand at this point. Once again, we have to suffer through the lies and low rent games by this company. Once again, a customer is lied to. It’s bad enough we are constantly being ripped off by Comcast’s exorbitant charges for service, bundled with ever increasing rip-off “fees” and made up taxes, but we have to be repeatedly lied to on top of that, with little recourse due to their monopoly. I should note that my first bill after the old promo ended was at the old price, plus the $15, so this new price I am being charged is part of the game Ms. Jackleson played on me.

Follow Up:

Just received another call from the rep. claiming to have reviewed my call with Helda above. She went into a long spiel about other packages that we spoke of, continued the lie that HD was not available with any other package, and then lied and told me I was told of the higher price. When I offered to come down and listen to the recording of the call with her, she told me she could not do that. I even offered to pay Comcast $100 a month more if that recording proved that was what I was offered and agreed to, of course, she declined. No, Comcast would rather live in the lie than honor what they offer.
After having comcast cable TV for over 15 years, I decided to cancel tv service, and get an antenna for my tv's..Its the best decision I ever could have made..Free Tv, over 35 channels.

Jan 12, 2016
For one.. why is it that my bill is only suppose to be 54, something a month, but my bill statement syas every month a higher amount and do they except extensions on your bill? I have never done an extension not once yet for almost 2 years now.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
For one.. why is it that my bill is only suppose to be 54, something a month, but my bill statement syas every month a higher amount and do they except extensions on your bill? I have never done an extension not once yet for almost 2 years now.
Is the $54 the base price and the difference taxes & govt fees?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
The 54 something is with the taxes and services, but they have been charging me a little over 80 each month.
@Sandi J Bollman - we are all just guessing here, you have an itemized billing for each month. Why don't you either 1. Share a bill by scanning it and post it (blacking out personal info) or give us a specific breakdown and maybe we can help?
Items you have not incl here but are usually over and above the basic bill would be Equipment rental, service to more rooms than the basic plan covers. A breakdown would be helpful then we can figure out what is going on and suggest a way to craft a letter.

But for now without additional info we are just guessing:(

Jan 12, 2016
The equipment rental is includes with that price of 54 something a month and no services to other rooms. There is also no other items included in my bill each month.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
The equipment rental is includes with that price of 54 something a month and no services to other rooms. There is also no other items included in my bill each month.
Sandy your bill has several line items.... We need to see what exactly your bill says??? The break down. AND was the $54 an introductory offer that has expired?

With out knowing how your bill is put together we are guessing.