comcast household debt

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 20, 2018
Hello consumers i have fell victim to this household debt also had comcast come out and install services almost thirty days later i have no service they say there was an unpaid bill i can show them i just signed a lease for this place but they want to see something from where i lived before but i cant get a copy of my old lease why didn't they address this issue before i'm very very not satisfied that i have to go thru hoops to get this info. If this was my bill i would understand but now i'm being denied service. it just makes me sooo mad. you know comcast is suppose to be helping the lower income with 10 dollar a month internet but here i 'am willing to pay but cant have service because of this household debt. But i guess the dish network or mediacom or some other service will be glad to have me. Seems like the more money these companies make the less they wanna help. but i'm going to pursue this a little longer because i believe this household debt to be dumb they should apply to that persons credit or something not somewhere that i might move to no other utility does this.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@seanpinson - Could you please clarify a couple of things:

- Is Comcast saying YOU have an old unpaid bill in YOUR name from a previous address?

- Or, are they saying that your new residence address has an old unpaid bill from whoever lived there before?

- I am confused about where "household debt" comes into play here.

Perhaps some clarification would assist us in making recommendations....

Thank you :)

Mar 20, 2018
Hello consumers i have fell victim to this household debt also had comcast come out and install services almost thirty days later i have no service they say there was an unpaid bill i can show them i just signed a lease for this place but they want to see something from where i lived before but i cant get a copy of my old lease why didn't they address this issue before i'm very very not satisfied that i have to go thru hoops to get this info. If this was my bill i would understand but now i'm being denied service. it just makes me sooo mad. you know comcast is suppose to be helping the lower income with 10 dollar a month internet but here i 'am willing to pay but cant have service because of this household debt. But i guess the dish network or mediacom or some other service will be glad to have me. Seems like the more money these companies make the less they wanna help. but i'm going to pursue this a little longer because i believe this household debt to be dumb they should apply to that persons credit or something not somewhere that i might move to no other utility does this.
@seanpinson - Could you please clarify a couple of things:

- Is Comcast saying YOU have an old unpaid bill in YOUR name from a previous address?

- Or, are they saying that your new residence address has an old unpaid bill from whoever lived there before?

- I am confused about where "household debt" comes into play here.

Perhaps some clarification would assist us in making recommendations....

Thank you :)
They said household has a balance from person living there before me.

Apr 10, 2017
How about past billing statements from other utility companies or vendors showing you had services at a different address? Something from your previous internet provider would be ideal, although any of them should work. You could also get something from the new apartment stating that you just moved there.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They said household has a balance from person living there before me.
Why can’t you just show them your new lease showing when you moved in?

Have you talked to your landlord about this? He had to have a way to get the previous tenants security deposit to them so you should turn the issue over to the landlord.

Sep 26, 2017
Why can’t you just show them your new lease showing when you moved in?

Have you talked to your landlord about this? He had to have a way to get the previous tenants security deposit to them so you should turn the issue over to the landlord.
I would simply give Comcast a copy of the lease showing when he moved in. Comcast can follow up with the landlord and try to get a forwarding address for the prior tenant.

Feb 23, 2018
When I moved the prior tenant had not cancelled their Comcast account and had a balance due. I had to go to a Comcast office and show them a copy of my lease so they could cancel the old account and open a new account in my name.