Comcast early termination fee- I don't have a contract with them

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2018
I was having internet issues, so I contacted Comcast. They told me it was due to old modem (I had internet with them for several years and was already out of initial promo contract) and that I need to take it in and get the current model. I said OK will do. My husband took in the old modem, they gave him new one, we hooked it up and continued to have problems. A few months later ATT was having promo on internet, cable and cell so we changed to ATT. My husband took in the modem and cancelled our services. They told him there would be early termination fee. When he told me I was like that can't be. We got the bill a few weeks later. I called and talked to rep, explained what happened, he said we entered into contract in June 2018. I said, no we did not, that when I spoke to the gentleman a few months earlier about the issues on internet he told me we needed to get the new model modem so we did. That was not a contract when they were saying their equipment was faulty so we needed to switch ours out. I even told him he should listen to the recording as I understand they record all conversations on calls. He said just wait for the next bill then it should show resolved then.
This month, received the bill, it still shows $110 early termination fee. I called again, lady was super rude barely even listened to me. She told me I entered contract last year, I was like no I have not had contract with Comcast in years, then she said June 2018 I said that is this year and that was when I took in the faulty equipment. She said all she can do is take half off. I said no, I should not have to pay anything for a contract I did not enter into. I asked for supervisor, was put on hold for long while then she said all are busy. I said OK please have them call me back today as I don't want this to affect my credit but I also don't want to pay for a contract I did not enter. I have received no call back. Super frustrated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did your husband sign any paperwork when he dropped off the old modem and picked up the new? You are usually given paperwork - what does the paperwork say? They didn’t sneak in a new contract that he signed did they?

We have a Company Contact Page on top of our page. Read the bottom of the page on how to write (start at Customer Service and work up to the Executives one by one weekly). This should be an easy fix if a new contract wasn’t signed but you might need to get the executives involved.

Let us know how you make out.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Last time I renewed our business contract with ComCast, everything was online. I didn't "sign" a paper contract. I hope that your husband didn't agree to something that was sorta hidden when he picked up that new modem. These kinds of tricks are so depressing, every time you turn around another (often well-known) company is attempting to cheat its customers. I don't know how we've come to this in America.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Comcast doesn't provide service without a contract unless you have their Prepaid plan. Your husband probably signed something when he picked up the new modem. Call them and make them email you a copy of the contract with your husband's signature on it.

Oct 2, 2018
Hi, I asked my husband and he cannot recall if they gave him paperwork or not, but he is positive he did not sign anything.

Oct 2, 2018
Did your husband sign any paperwork when he dropped off the old modem and picked up the new? You are usually given paperwork - what does the paperwork say? They didn’t sneak in a new contract that he signed did they?

We have a Company Contact Page on top of our page. Read the bottom of the page on how to write (start at Customer Service and work up to the Executives one by one weekly). This should be an easy fix if a new contract wasn’t signed but you might need to get the executives involved.

Let us know how you make out.
Hello, so my husband does not remember if he received any paperwork or receipt but he does say he did not sign anything. I looked at the contact page and all the different options for how to do this and I am feeling very overwhelmed on what to do. Help please.

Jul 27, 2016
Comcast doesn't provide service without a contract unless you have their Prepaid plan. Your husband probably signed something when he picked up the new modem. Call them and make them email you a copy of the contract with your husband's signature on it.
They have a contract (saying you'll pay your bill, won't steal the modem, etc. etc.), but they don't usually have a contract in terms of "you agree to get service for the next 12 months, and if you cancel early, you'll have to pay a fee" unless you're signing up for a promotional deal as a new customer, and not even always then.

Oct 2, 2018
They usually require something signed to pick up the new box and return the old.
Hi Neil,
He said he did not sign anything. Today I received a letter from the Comcast's Collection Agency. They said if I don't pay, they will have to report me to the credit agency. I don't have an extra $110 dollars to resolve a dispute for a contract I did not enter. They said they would send me all supporting documentation by mail. I told them I wanted to see the contract I or my husband supposedly signed she said she was not sure what they would send me. I also told them I had tried contacting Comcast twice and asked for call back from manager and that they should have the June 4 2018 recording proving that I did not enter into a contract, that I called about faulty equipment. but she said they did not have access nor could get access to this from Comcast. I am so frustrated as I don't want my credit impacted, I work hard to make sure I make my payments on time and have excellent credit. But I also feel that this is so unfair and feel so powerless against a giant like Comcast that can dictate and basically say Pay me or I will ruin you excellent credit with a collection. How do people fight this? We are going to have a baby and have been trying to save money and I hate that I am probably going to have to take money from my baby fund to give to a monster like Comcast. Sorry for the rant.

Oct 2, 2018
They have a contract (saying you'll pay your bill, won't steal the modem, etc. etc.), but they don't usually have a contract in terms of "you agree to get service for the next 12 months, and if you cancel early, you'll have to pay a fee" unless you're signing up for a promotional deal as a new customer, and not even always then.
So you are saying that by picking up the new modem because the previous one they provided was faulty, I entered into a contract? But don't they have to state that I am going into a new contract and let me know if there is a time limit? Again, we were not told of this contract and we never said yes to contract for a certain period of time. Can companies really do this? just by getting replacement of faulty equipment and people get stuck in new contract?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
If you have Comcast you agreed to a contract. This would have been when you first signed up. How long have you had Comcast?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you have Comcast you agreed to a contract. This would have been when you first signed up. How long have you had Comcast?
From her initial post:

“They told me it was due to old modem (I had internet with them for several years and was already out of initial promo contract)”

If the modem was outdated it had to be several years.

Oct 31, 2016
Hello everyone,
Comcast, aka CONcast will do everything to make you pay, NEVER, I repeat NEVER do anything over the phone with them, ALWAYS use the CHAT, that way you will have a record of the conversation. They NEVER can find or will not listen to any recording that does not agree with what they say.

CHAT is a record and you will have a copy, if they don't offer/button to make a copy then you COPY and PASTE to a word program.

I had to PROVE that they lied to me THREE times in the CHAT, yes even when they know there is a record on your end THEY STILL LIE

I received compensation from CONcast in the form of many credits and they actually sent a senior tech that knew something to fix the problem

it was "Pull-Out" what is Pullout you say?

it is when the weather cools enough to have the cable actually shrinks to where the connector PULLS OUT of the connection somewhere upstream from you

so when the temperature outside cooled to around 30 degrees here in Portland, OR. the cable connection would be interrupted. Of course it was the modem first, they even had to put in one of their modems to try to show it was the modem, that failed to show so then they looked upstream. since I own my equipment so I don't pay their fees (by the way a purchased modem for CONcast can be had on amazon or eBay for less than 50.00 bucks) get your own router, Own your equipment so you don't pay their fees.

once the senior tech came out and traced the line (I had to go to the executive complaint line at CONcast) they found the old junction that was hidden in someones shed replaced that with new ends on the cable, and no more problems

Stay strong, NEVER USE THE PHONE, always use their CHAT for the record you will have

J

Last edited:

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Then I would ask them to prove you have a New Contract based on the new Modem. A contract must be in writing and have clear terms.

Jan 9, 2016
Hello, so my husband does not remember if he received any paperwork or receipt but he does say he did not sign anything. I looked at the contact page and all the different options for how to do this and I am feeling very overwhelmed on what to do. Help please.
Olga, please don’t feel overwhelmed. Yes u xplained your problem clearly to us. As Neil suggested, pick th first name and email from th company contact list and send them a message that is similar to your first posting in this forum. I’d suggest you write the message in the format of a time line with dates. For example 1/1/18 - we xperi need prob,EMS wth our modem and called Comcast support. We were advised to bring in our modem for a replacement. Etc, etc. keep your message as objective and unemotional as possible. Getting this charge reversed should not be difficult if you invest 10 minutes to write an email to the executive level contact.

For everyone - stop renting modems from cable companies. Buy your own modem on Amazon for less than the cost of one year rental.

Feb 11, 2018
I was having internet issues, so I contacted Comcast. They told me it was due to old modem (I had internet with them for several years and was already out of initial promo contract) and that I need to take it in and get the current model. I said OK will do. My husband took in the old modem, they gave him new one, we hooked it up and continued to have problems. A few months later ATT was having promo on internet, cable and cell so we changed to ATT. My husband took in the modem and cancelled our services. They told him there would be early termination fee. When he told me I was like that can't be. We got the bill a few weeks later. I called and talked to rep, explained what happened, he said we entered into contract in June 2018. I said, no we did not, that when I spoke to the gentleman a few months earlier about the issues on internet he told me we needed to get the new model modem so we did. That was not a contract when they were saying their equipment was faulty so we needed to switch ours out. I even told him he should listen to the recording as I understand they record all conversations on calls. He said just wait for the next bill then it should show resolved then.
This month, received the bill, it still shows $110 early termination fee. I called again, lady was super rude barely even listened to me. She told me I entered contract last year, I was like no I have not had contract with Comcast in years, then she said June 2018 I said that is this year and that was when I took in the faulty equipment. She said all she can do is take half off. I said no, I should not have to pay anything for a contract I did not enter into. I asked for supervisor, was put on hold for long while then she said all are busy. I said OK please have them call me back today as I don't want this to affect my credit but I also don't want to pay for a contract I did not enter. I have received no call back. Super frustrated.
Sounds like accepting the new modem resulted in a new contract. Your husband must have signed for it, inadvertently "agreeing" to the contract. Sleazy, I know, but that's Comcast!

Oct 3, 2018
This issue should be able to be resolved to your satisfaction if you email the people shown on our site as corporate contacts for Comcast. With Comcast you have to connect with the right person in authority to get such issues resolved. Please keep us posted regarding your complaint with Comcast and if we might be able to help you further. Best wishes to you in getting your issue resolved.

Sep 19, 2015
Do you or did you have online access to your infinity account?

If you do sign in under my account, go to settings, look for Account Details, and under that are the words Legal Agreement and Contract and see if anything is under there.

Status
Not open for further replies.