Comcast does not even honor its own CODE OF CONDUCT

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 10, 2016
I only have internet with Comcast and do not watch TV. They quoted me 39.99 per month in May 2016 and guaranteed for one year. May, June, and July the rate was correct on the bill. Then in August, they took away the discount for July and charged me an additional $13.54 and bumped up my bill to 49.99 per mo. So, I spoke to a CS rep in some foreign country and they said they fixed it back to 39.99 and all was good for another year. So I pay my 39.99. Now in September of 2016 I get a bill for a 9.50 late charge and an over due balance of 23.54 and no credits to the bill whatsoever. So, I call them again. This time I am told that I cannot get to billing unless I pay the past due amount. Now they are holding me hostage using extortion to get money they do not deserve and they will not transfer me or give me billings phone number. I call back again and they give me a bogus billing number of 1-800-934-6484. So I call this number and it says it is not a valid number in my area. Since when is a USA 800 number restricted in the USA? There is nowhere to get to these billing people on the bill. All you get referred to is Customer Service who claims they are unable to adjust billing.
Go on their website, read their Code of Conduct, and it states in part .....

"We believe that a business has ethical as well as economic responsibilities
and will prosper most in an environment that is ethically sound. We are
committed to acting with the highest ethical standards and to protecting
our reputation for integrity. Our Code of Conduct provides standards of
business conduct for all of our employees, officers and directors to live up
to in order to achieve our ethical standards and commitment to integrity."
According to Brian Roberts CEO he says "
"In fact, we believe that integrity, honesty and respect are the foundation
of a productive working environment and a strong company....However, it is
our actions — how we perform day in and day out — that will ensure our
success. It’s as simple as doing the right thing and treating people the
right way."
Really now?
Why then does Comcast have more FCC consumer complaints than AT&T, Verizon and Time Warner Cable put together? BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HONOR THEIR OWN CODE OF CONDUCT

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Joe,

I'd suggest contacting their customer service via the company contacts we have above. Get off the phone. Only communicate with them in writing, keep all correspondence, and ask that the rate you were promised be honored and all debts removed. Be polite and factual. Venting here is fine, and I share your disgust at what happened, but keep in mind the person reading your message didn't cause the problem. I wouldn't even bring up their code of conduct, just ask that the problem be resolved and note this is the third time you've tried to do so.

Give them a few weeks, if they don't resolve it, but continue to run you in circles, then move up to the executive contacts. If you need to do so, write one at a time and don't start with the CEO.

Best of luck and keep us posted with updates or let us know if you have more questions. We can also proof a draft of your email if you like, only please be sure to remove all personal info such as account numbers, etc.

Techno

Sep 10, 2016
Hi,
Thanks I will take your advice. I am worried they will stop my service if I do not give into their extortion demands. Am I to send this to their corporate address on JFK Blvd and whose attention would that go to?

Feb 9, 2016
I had this same issue with direct tv. I couldn't get to a live person unless I paid the amount that was past due, that was charged to me in error. I ended up calling from the telephone number that was NOT registered to the account and pretending I wanted to start service. Once I got a live person I asked to go to billing. Once I got to billing the person there said could not help me unless I paid the bill, even tho I explained the issue, so I asked to speak to their floor supervisor and was able to finally straighten it out with them.

One thing you MUST do in these scenarios, write down the time you placed the call, ask and and write down the names of the people you speak to and what time you started speaking to them. Ask what location they are in, city and state and write this down. They are not supposed to tell you this but ask anyways. Write down what was said during the conversation. Review what was said with the agent to make sure they agree. Let them know you have been having issues with the company so you just want to make sure you get things correct.

Be nice. The CS agent you may have gotten before might have been poorly trained. Dont take it out on the next CS agent. You will catch more flies with honey.

If you really reach an impasse remember that calls are recorded and you can always ask for a floor supervisor to review the tapes.

Another good tactic is to calmly let them know that you have spent too much time attempting to unravel these issues and would like to cancel and could you speak with someone in retention to either get a resolution or to terminate.

good luck!

Aug 28, 2015
New York
@Joe S.
1. When you signed up for internet you were given a price of $39.99/month from May, 2016- April, 2017? Then on the 4th month the bill suddenly increased?
2. You state you contacted them and they fixed it and all was good for another year. Did you mean another month?
3. When you paid August, 2016, did you pay the 39.99 or the 49.99?
4. I assume you just received September's bill. Is the amount the 39.99 rate or the 49.99 rate. I understand it also includes a past due amount? Does it say the rate for the past due month as 39.99 or 49.99?

Sep 10, 2016
OK here is my feedback from emailing the people at ecare@comcast.com
This is rather funny. So I get this guy named Dominic and he says he adjusts off all the charges and everything is good to go. However he did say that the reason I am dinged another $10 a month is because I must sign up for ecobill and autopay. Then they will honor my 39.99 per month. Well, I am not going to do that because once they have your autopay info, then they can come back and ding your bank account with all sorts of bogus charges and once again you are at their mercy. My neighbors told me never do this. Of course, I want to check to see if he told the truth so I must log into my account to do so because I don't believe him.

But here is the worst part. So I go to create an account and Comcast created an account for me with a user name that I never would have chosen in a million years. So, in order to get into my account I have to log in using this user name and a password which who knows what that is. I say I do not remember my password and Chat comes up. So I get this person on chat, (yes I know don't go there) but he gives me reset codes to change my password. So, I am thinking OK, how bad can this be, I will just reset the password. Uggggggggh well not so easy. Comcast has taken it to an all time new level of dishonesty and circular logic. Now in order to reset my password, I must answer what is my favorite pets name. So, I enter a name - BING - rejected. I continue for more than an hour entering every single pets name I have ever had in my entire life. None of them work, all caps, one cap, all lower case and this took numerous reset codes to do all of this. Boiling point now is at about 100 degrees and counting.
So, I tell this dude, I am done here this is going nowhere Goodbye.

Next morning, I email this Dominic back and tell him I having trouble accessing my account and that I have had CHAT give me numerous reset codes to no avail. OK, so this is his email and now I am laughing because this is all so ridiculous.
This is what he says, I can hear the Indian accent in his response already as I have been to that country over 5 times:
"I would like to clarify that the chat agents and the Office of the Vice President do not have access to the same password reset system. You will not need to answer a security question to reset your password with me. The username was most likely assigned when the Comcast account was created to provide service. You can change that to something more suitable. The reason I was unable to e-mail the link is that your e-mail address has not been verified for confidential information transmission. Again, this is something you can do once you gain access to your account online. I can assure you, your account is secure.

OK remember here, I have been emailing him back and forth for about 20 emails and no problem with my email address.

So, round and round we go. Then he wants my phone number which I gladly provide.
Then I get this message:
"I'm having a hard time reaching you! Whenever I call, it goes straight to voicemail
Please let me know if there is a better number to reach you."

I ask him for his phone number and I will call him back and he responds:

"I am calling from Arizona. I am trying very hard to work with you to resolve this. There is no telephone number to reach me. The only solution I can see is to check the settings on your phone or provide a different contact number."

So, I am thinking he is not even in the USA. First off, my cell phone would have left me a message for a missed call, but there was no missed call. I asked him to leave me a voicemail so I could know that he called. Then this was his response:

"As I am unable to contact you, my resources are exhausted at this point. The only department that may be able to reset your password and security question is our billing department. They can be reached by dialing 1-800-934-6489
I regret that I can be of no further assistance in this matter."

Well we all know this is the Customer Service Number and as of late, Customer Service is telling people they do not handle billing issues, so I ask him for billings number and this is his last response.

There is no direct number for Billing. Kindly call this number and ask for Billing.
Thank you for choosing Comcast.
Sincerely,
Dominic
Office of Tom Karinshak

IT WOULD BE LESS PAINFUL TO SHAVE MY HEAD WITH A CHEESE GRATER THAN DEAL WITH COMCAST!

So, what I am saying here is the ecare email address has now taken their dishonesty to an all time new level of circular run around and when confronted they simply say there is no more they can do. As far as the charges being removed, I have no idea because I have not set aside another 5 hours at this juncture to find out by calling Customer Service.

I sent another email today to Mike Decandido VP of Call Center Operations using the email provided in your link and that is bogus now. It bounced back.
I also copied, we_can_help@cable.comcast.com This is no longer a valid email address.
The only one that has not bounced back yet is the one to:
robert_sacunas@comcast.com Director of National Customer Operations at Comcast

I will update on this Comcast saga as it unfolds but for now - I am going to look for another less unscrupulous carrier. Personally I have yet to find anyone who can recommend anyone they like or trust.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
This is rather funny. So I get this guy named Dominic and he says he adjusts off all the charges and everything is good to go. However he did say that the reason I am dinged another $10 a month is because I must sign up for ecobill and autopay. Then they will honor my 39.99 per month. Well, I am not going to do that because once they have your autopay info, then they can come back and ding your bank account with all sorts of bogus charges and once again you are at their mercy. My neighbors told me never do this. Of course, I want to check to see if he told the truth so I must log into my account to do so because I don't believe him.

But here is the worst part. So I go to create an account and Comcast created an account for me with a user name that I never would have chosen in a million years. So, in order to get into my account I have to log in using this user name and a password which who knows what that is. I say I do not remember my password and Chat comes up. So I get this person on chat, (yes I know don't go there) but he gives me reset codes to change my password. So, I am thinking OK, how bad can this be, I will just reset the password. Uggggggggh well not so easy. Comcast has taken it to an all time new level of dishonesty and circular logic. Now in order to reset my password, I must answer what is my favorite pets name. So, I enter a name - BING - rejected. I continue for more than an hour entering every single pets name I have ever had in my entire life. None of them work, all caps, one cap, all lower case and this took numerous reset codes to do all of this. Boiling point now is at about 100 degrees and counting.

Next morning, I email this Dominic back and tell him I having trouble accessing my account and that I have had CHAT give me numerous reset codes to no avail. OK, so this is his email and now I am laughing because this is all so ridiculous.
This is what he says, I can hear the Indian accent in his response already as I have been to that country over 5 times:
"I would like to clarify that the chat agents and the Office of the Vice President do not have access to the same password reset system. You will not need to answer a security question to reset your password with me. The username was most likely assigned when the Comcast account was created to provide service. You can change that to something more suitable. The reason I was unable to e-mail the link is that your e-mail address has not been verified for confidential information transmission. Again, this is something you can do once you gain access to your account online. I can assure you, your account is secure.

OK remember here, I have been emailing him back and forth for about 20 emails and no problem with my email address.

So, round and round we go. Then he wants my phone number which I gladly provide.
Then I get this message:
"I'm having a hard time reaching you! Whenever I call, it goes straight to voicemail

"I am calling from Arizona. I am trying very hard to work with you to resolve this. There is no telephone number to reach me. The only solution I can see is to check the settings on your phone or provide a different contact number."

So, I am thinking he is not even in the USA. First off, my cell phone would have left me a message for a missed call, but there was no missed call. I asked him to leave me a voicemail so I could know that he called. Then this was his response:

"As I am unable to contact you, my resources are exhausted at this point. The only department that may be able to reset your password and security question is our billing department. They can be reached by dialing 1-800-934-6489

Well we all know this is the Customer Service Number and as of late, Customer Service is telling people they do not handle billing issues, so I ask him for billings number and this is his last response.

There is no direct number for Billing. Kindly call this number and ask for Billing.
Sincerely,
Dominic
Office of Tom Karinshak

IT WOULD BE LESS PAINFUL TO SHAVE MY HEAD WITH A CHEESE GRATER THAN DEAL WITH COMCAST!

So, what I am saying here is the ecare email address has now taken their dishonesty to an all time new level of circular run around and when confronted they simply say there is no more they can do. As far as the charges being removed, I have no idea because I have not set aside another 5 hours at this juncture to find out by calling Customer Service.

I sent another email today to Mike Decandido VP of Call Center Operations using the email provided in your link and that is bogus now. It bounced back.
I also copied, we_can_help@cable.comcast.com This is no longer a valid email address.

I will update on this Comcast saga as it unfolds but for now - I am going to look for another less unscrupulous carrier. Personally I have yet to find anyone who can recommend anyone they like or trust.
I'm sorry you had a frustrating time setting up the account. I wish you provided more info to us about the terms of the offer you signed up with so we can better help.
You need to remove your references to an "accent" from your correspondence. So long as the agent spoke English and the phone connection was clear, this is irrelevant and inflammatory. It will not garner good will. You should also eliminate any reference to the location of the agent or anything else that suggests bias. Those offhand comments undermine your credibility and you seem to have an otherwise solid claim.

Re: the p/w and username, while I'm not familiar with Comcast, there is nothing unusual about a preset username that may be a series of #s/letters. Chase bank does this as well. Get your online account set up and please link to the offer/promotion you originally accepted. It sounds like Comcast wants to credit your account. I'm not sure why Comcast can't take care of it already. I agree it is annoying to have to call them every couple months.

May 26, 2016
I had similar issues with AT&T U-verse, so much so that I would never use them again. I thought they were the worst! I understand that they all add unauthorized charges and get away with it because most people don't have 5 hours to pursue a problem as you have. I don't know how the FCC lets them operate the way they do. Maybe they'll all get taken down like Wells Fargo one day.

I would suggest that you also get the agent's I.D. number if identification has any value.
Dorothy L.

May 17, 2016

Then I get this message:

Sincerely,
Dominic
Office of Tom Karinshak

What do you expect? It's COMCAST!

May 17, 2016
Interesting article. Some things I noted: the fine is pocket change for Comcast, a nuisance fee, but that's probably all the FCC can do. I wish the CEO were hit with the fine. Then, Comcast claims that "poor customer service" or "human error" caused the problem. How right they are about the former! Unfortunately, this seems to be part of their corporate culture. And, of course, blame the victims ("customer confusion"). Well, at least Comcast was caught with its hand in the till, so to speak.