Colorado truck

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 28, 2018
We have a 2008 Colorado truck with 120,000 miles. About a year ago it started running rough, mid fire, check engine light on and off, temp gauge, air conditioning on and off too.
Found out GM put a bulletin out on engine 2010. Called 800 number got a cs number and was told take to nearest Chevy dealer.
Valves and head needs to be replaced. Cost $3200
Did research on line and found tons of people with same problem. Service advisor saying GM admits faulty engine but never did recall!
All on line of course! Service Manager admits I have a case but after using calculator with my info GM day no assistance for me
I have talked to 5 people who all work for Chevrolet or GM and they say, No recall No help!
Called NHTSA and filed complaint today. They said, GM already has 54 complaints on engine
111 on electrical and have done nothing about it!
I just want some assistance with cost?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is a tough one ... a ten-year-old truck would probably get very little financial help from GM, even if you could get them to agree. I would find a good independent mechanic to see what the "real" cost might be to get your truck back up and functioning well again. Decide in your own mind how much you're willing to spend and go from there. If it's been a great truck, it might be worth sinking some money into it. I drove a Silverado SUV for ten years and his engine blew up at 110K miles. Since I bought him new and am meticulous about maintenance, I was livid. We just gave our 1994 F250 pickup to our gardener, that truck never had a single issue except preventive maintenance ... Ford is right when they say they build tough trucks. I'll never buy another GM product. Wish I had something better to advise you.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Check the Blue Book value--putting $3200 into this truck is not worth it, even if Chevy pays some of the cost. Putting $3200 into this vehicle gives you a 10 yr old truck with 120,000 mi and AC issues and many other problems ahead. Work with Chevy to get $3200 credit on a new truck (year-end deals coming up).

Jun 28, 2018
Check the Blue Book value--putting $3200 into this truck is not worth it, even if Chevy pays some of the cost. Putting $3200 into this vehicle gives you a 10 yr old truck with 120,000 mi and AC issues and many other problems ahead. Work with Chevy to get $3200 credit on a new truck (year-end deals coming up).
Ya, don’t have the cash for that

Jun 28, 2018
This is a tough one ... a ten-year-old truck would probably get very little financial help from GM, even if you could get them to agree. I would find a good independent mechanic to see what the "real" cost might be to get your truck back up and functioning well again. Decide in your own mind how much you're willing to spend and go from there. If it's been a great truck, it might be worth sinking some money into it. I drove a Silverado SUV for ten years and his engine blew up at 110K miles. Since I bought him new and am meticulous about maintenance, I was livid. We just gave our 1994 F250 pickup to our gardener, that truck never had a single issue except preventive maintenance ... Ford is right when they say they build tough trucks. I'll never buy another GM product. Wish I had something better to advise you.
Thank you

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Vlo FYI Recalls are for safety issues which this is not. Your truck currently has the following recalls...

- Contamination in the brake-light switch may cause the brake lights to malfunction, increasing the risk of a rear-end crash.
- Regular- and extended-cab models with a 60/40-split front bench seat lack access to a top anchor to tether a child-restraint device in the middle seat position.

Service Bulletins are for things like this.

Short answer your warranty was 5 years 100,000 miles and that has expired. GM has no requirement to do anything for you so you need to start with that mind frame. Also, by filing a NHSTA complaint, you have essentially removed any incentive for GM to help you.

You might try an email to Alan Bately http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/general-motors/. You might get something. You might also try an independent mechanic. They might be able to use remanufactured parts to low your cost.

Good Luck

Jun 28, 2018
@Vlo FYI Recalls are for safety issues which this is not. Your truck currently has the following recalls...

- Contamination in the brake-light switch may cause the brake lights to malfunction, increasing the risk of a rear-end crash.
- Regular- and extended-cab models with a 60/40-split front bench seat lack access to a top anchor to tether a child-restraint device in the middle seat position.

Service Bulletins are for things like this.

Short answer your warranty was 5 years 100,000 miles and that has expired. GM has no requirement to do anything for you so you need to start with that mind frame. Also, by filing a NHSTA complaint, you have essentially removed any incentive for GM to help you.

You might try an email to Alan Bately http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/general-motors/. You might get something. You might also try an independent mechanic. They might be able to use remanufactured parts to low your cost.

Good Luck
Thank you