Closing Barclays Arrival Card , leaving reward points . Now gone!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 8, 2017
I had a Barclay arrival card for many years and in 2018 I was putting a lot of purchases on the card because I wanted to use it for upcoming travel in 2019. Well somewhere between turning 70 years old I manage to close the card and left 57,000 reward points there. (I’m not sure they’re called reward points but you can use the dollars to pay for travel expenses.) So in the last few months I’ve been using a credit card that’s actually a Chase United credit card thinking , bear with me ... somehow there’s a senior fog that has settled on my brain but today I went that website to see if I could cash in any points only to notice that I had closed my credit card and the last statement shows 57,000 points. Speaking with c/s - very move people, said there’s nothing they can do the points went away once the card was closed so here I am ready to send an email to an executive at Barclays to see if they can help. I do remember a few years back that they did help me out quite easily nicely and without a big fuss and I was very grateful.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Oh, Barbara, you definitely need some assistance here. You may be able to recover your points ... there's a small chance. Can you have a family member or friend with some business experience help you with composing an email and getting some communication going? The call center people can only do what their procedures manual tells them, so you need to reach an executive. I'm not sure about this, but I believe that all affinity CC issuers retain ownership of the miles you earn as part of use of their cards. So when you close your CC account, those miles disappear.

I'd start with Chase who issues the United card. You need to send them a concise, polite, appreciative email explaining that you made a mistake and are asking for an exception to their rules. We like to call this "artful begging". You can print the emails or save them on a computer so you have a complete record of what happens. It's a very long shot, but worth it. Good luck, and please let us know how things go.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Can I ask why you closed the card?

Unfortunately the terms of the cards are that once you close the card, you lose the points.

These are in the terms of the card:

Miles don't expire
as long as your account is open, active and in good standing1

maintain your eligibility for participation in the Program through use of the Account:

You must maintain an open Account that is not in default under your Cardmember Agreement with us (in “Good Standing”). See sections titled “Miles Restrictions” and “Miles Forfeiture” for more details.
Your Account cannot have been inactive for 6 billing cycles in a row

We don’t advocate loyalty point cases. I would suggest perhaps you ask if you can reopen the account- but these are not usually successful.

Sep 19, 2015
I am a bit confused.

First there was a Barclay card which was inadvertently closed.

Then a Chase card was used and then it was closed?

How are these accounts getting closed?

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Neil is right. If you close a credit card, you immediately lose all benefits including any points that were accumulated.

Jun 8, 2017
I am a bit confused.

First there was a Barclay card which was inadvertently closed.

Then a Chase card was used and then it was closed?

How are these accounts getting closed?
Im sorry for confusion.
I had the Barclay card and closed it by mistake, or I wanted one less card and closed it without thinking I had points on it, didn't remember I had ponts.
Since closing it in Sept 2018, in my mind! i thought the card with the travel points was the United Chase card I still have and use.
But I was confused... Its the Barclay card that had the points and I closed it... I know it doesn't make sense... but the fact is I closed it 9/2018 and remembered it had points 2/2019 and trying to recover points. I wrote a note to first contact for Barclay... but haven't heard back.

Jun 8, 2017
Oh, Barbara, you definitely need some assistance here. You may be able to recover your points ... there's a small chance. Can you have a family member or friend with some business experience help you with composing an email and getting some communication going? The call center people can only do what their procedures manual tells them, so you need to reach an executive. I'm not sure about this, but I believe that all affinity CC issuers retain ownership of the miles you earn as part of use of their cards. So when you close your CC account, those miles disappear.

I'd start with Chase who issues the United card. You need to send them a concise, polite, appreciative email explaining that you made a mistake and are asking for an exception to their rules. We like to call this "artful begging". You can print the emails or save them on a computer so you have a complete record of what happens. It's a very long shot, but worth it. Good luck, and please let us know how things go.
The card I closed by MIstake was Barclay arrivals. I wrote a letter to the first contact on Barclays executive list. Havn't heard back.
Since Elliot has posted their emails, Im sure they get an overwhelming number of emails.... Should I just wait ? Thank you

Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry to say I am not wildly optimistic because of the time that has passed—!it has been over 4 months since the card was canceled.

Points are usually kept as liabilities on the balance sheet. So that liability was removed in September which was end of 3rd quarter. —

Some credit cards do reinstate closed accounts but usually within 30 days of closure