Chip and PIN credit card clarification, please

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I read in one of the other forums that a chip and pin DEBIT card is the only thing that works at France gas stations. Is this correct? I'm getting a chip and pin CREDIT card from Andrews Credit Union specifically for my upcoming trip to France and Belgium. I have not read anything that a chip and pin card must be a debit card to work, and was under the impression that credit cards were fine as long as they are chip and pin.

Can anyone with first hand experience confirm this, please? Thank you!

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I'm all set! Andrews is sending me a chip and PIN card. FYI, I had to join the American Consumer Council before I applied for the card; otherwise, Andrews is only open to military servicepeople. I've read lots of other forums and the Andrews card works in French train stations and gas stations, so I'm fine. We will be driving all over France and I was worried particularly about gas stations in smaller towns, or on Sundays.

Hi AMA,
When I was in France I used both my Chase Sapphire Preferred (Chip+Signature) and my Barclay Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard (Chip+PIN). I didn't have any issues with either of them. The only time I had an issue anywhere in Europe was in Milan, Italy at the train station when I had to use the automated machine to buy my ticket since the counter was closed. the machine would only accept Chip+PIN.

Hope that helps,
-Tyler

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My American Express has worked everywhere in Europe for years, toll booths, train stations, unpersoned gas stations on a Sunday. I don't remember it ever being rejected. I have no idea what the problems are with Visa or MasterCard, but I'm using a Chase Visa lots now, so we'll see on the next trip to Europe. I keep wondering why the US is so reluctant to atopt this technology that Europe has had forever.

Jan 6, 2015
I have been told that Chip+Signature "should" work when promoted for a PIN if you press Esc or Enter. Of course, my card provider could not guarantee that ...

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Thanks, everyone! I have the AFCU chip+PIN, plus my Capital 1 card which is chip-only. I'm sure I'll be fine! Will report back after trip, too.