China Visa

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 3, 2017
Hi there, we are applying for a Chinese Visa. We are a married gay couple - USA citizens. The application for Visa asks if we are married and traveling with spouse. Do you think there will be a problem in the approval of our visa? I know China does not recognize same sex marriage, but I can not bring myself to check the box that says single. Ugh, was hoping to not have to go thru this. We used the transit free visa last time we visited China so this was not an issue. Thanks for any advice.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I am so sorry you even feel like you need to ask a question like this. I’m hoping our Staff member @Neil Maley will give you his educated opinion due to his many years in the Travel Industry. Sadly my knee jerk reaction is not to create waves in a country like China. Whatever you decide to do I’m sure you will enjoy your visit. I spent 3 weeks touring China and thought it was magical!
Safe journey:)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We can’t give legal advice and we also can’t advise you to lie on an application.

I can tell you my personal experience for you to make a decision on your own.

First, there are plenty of LGBT individuals in China.
However, what makes the Consulate reject an application is a mystery. I expressed a story on what happened to me with applying for a visa using an online company with the exact same documentation my fellow travelers had where my paperwork was rejected and theirs wasn’t.

I can say that even though we were touring China with a large group- some people in the group were not granted a Visa and couldn’t go. Whether it had to do with their job titles or some small quirk when the background check was done- no one knows. Your application could be rejected if they find out you were lying on your application. For instance, if you were legally married and that information can be searched online and you say you weren’t - that could cause a rejection as well as being honest.

This is all I can tell you - we can’t tell you to omit it or not. I’m sorry you have to worry about something like this.

Nov 3, 2017
Thank you for you responses. I think we already made up our mind to check the box that says married. Just can’t check the other box. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has been denied a visa for this reason in the past. If we do get denied, then I wonder if Allianz trip insurance would give us a refund on our airfare? So annoying to have this issue in 2018!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Most travel insurance does not cover instances of not having proper documents to travel. But if it comes down to that and you show us the policy we can help you try to get the insurance company to help.

Weren't you traveling to other places though? If I recall the original post, you weren't going just to China for the 72 hours.

Nov 3, 2017
Thanks :) We will see what the Consulate does...We are also traveling to Hong Kong and Japan on the trip. If we got denied we would go from MSP-HKG instead and just bypass PVG. Would just need to cancel or flights and rebook. Love Hong Kong and Japan! No visa required :)