China UnionPay???

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 6, 2015
I originally sent an email to Chris yesterday asking him for help with this issue. He asked me to post it here as well. I honestly don’t know what category to put this in.
I was buying a few items online from Chewy.com a few days ago, and when I went to put in my credit card info, the auto fill function on my MacBook popped up with a few credit cards numbers that had been replaced because they were hacked. Right below the one valid account, there was a listing for a card that said “China UnionPay card, with the last four digits listed as 8234”.

Not only have I never been to China, I’ve never had a relationship with the Chinese banking system, so it is beyond me as to why this has shown up on my computer.

I tried a google search for both auto fill on the Apple website, and just info about the China UnionPay. I saw a few snarky comments about the MacBook mistaking IKEA account numbers for China UnionPay. I don’t have an IKEA account either.

Without knowing what else to do (it’s not a banking issue because it was just numbers stored on my MacBook), I put a freeze on my credit with all three agencies (something I’ve been meaning to do anyway) and I pulled reports as well. I can’t find anything that looks like accounts have been opened under my name or anything that is off regarding my credit reports as a whole. My husband and I have very good credit ratings (above 800) and I want to keep it that way.

We have had credit card numbers hacked several times in the last few years, but they all got stopped by the fraud protection services with the credit card companies. Other than being irritating, we didn’t suffer any long term harm.

I took a screenshot of the account info that popped up. This isn’t the info from chewy.com, it’s the auto fill pop up on my
MacBook.

A2609B21-A5A1-40AF-B925-50465ADAEE7E.jpeg

The top card is a legit account, I’m not sure what the China UnionPay is, and the other numbers were, at some point, legit numbers but I never cleared them out of the auto fill info.

I need to know if this represents a real problem (such as my MacBook has a virus or something similar) or if it is what some sarcastically said on the Apple forum that people need to ledge because it’s not a real problem.

I don’t think calling my credit card company would help as this isn’t their card and info stored on my Computer. I’ve been trying to reach someone from Apple, but so far have only been able to access their forum (which usually consist of a few pretentious people who don’t like dealing with luddites like me).

I would appreciate any useful advice that you can offer. I wasn’t sure what category this issue falls into, (it didn’t originate from Chewy.com, or my credit card company) so I went with the “other” category. With all the security breeches of way too many big companies, you can’t be too careful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sep 19, 2015
From reports it seems that Safari reads any long string of characters that begin with 62 or 88

“had this issue today. We found that if you enter a Card number that starts with 62 or 88 and is 16-19 characters long, Safari will ask you if you want to save the card. If you save the card, it will be labeled as a China UnionPay card.”

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5976591

You should change your Apple ID password and run a virus and malware scan if uncertain but this sounds like a glitch — can be a loyalty card or credit card

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Auto fill comes from your browser. You can disable it in your browser but I would be concerned that your computer may have been hacked. Not sure what browser you use but if you do a google search on "how to delete autofill on (whatever your browser name is) " you can find out how to stop it.

But I agree with Christina - do a virus scan right away.

Sep 6, 2015
From reports it seems that Safari reads any long string of characters that begin with 62 or 88

“had this issue today. We found that if you enter a Card number that starts with 62 or 88 and is 16-19 characters long, Safari will ask you if you want to save the card. If you save the card, it will be labeled as a China UnionPay card.”

You should change your Apple ID password and run a virus and malware scan if uncertain but this sounds like a glitch — can be a loyalty card or credit card

When the IKEA card was mentioned I’m the Apple Forum, I kept thinking it didn’t apply to me because I don’t have an IKEA credit card. I do have an Ikea Family card, and had recently placed an order online for in store pick up. The IKEA family card begins with 62 and matches the last four as well.

I can’t believe that these Apple forum posts were from 2014, and the issue still exists. The stress and anxiety of dealing with this was completely unnecessary, because Apple could have easily fixed this.

I am left with one questions: how do you scan a Macbook for viruses? It’s not an issue that comes up often with MacBooks, and the Apple store couldn’t even recommend any virus detection software.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is scary-awful and I'm afraid it's going to get worse. I've gone in and deleted any credit card info on any account I maintain. Now when I purchase something online, I use a card like my Best Western affinity Master Card. Since I only use that card to guarantee a BW res or pay the hotel, maybe once or twice a year, I don't have to worry that it will be hacked because I don't really care ... and I'd catch it right away. There really isn't much we consumers can do about the hackers/virus/scams because they get more sophisticated and clever all the time. I do wonder if using a separate browser/ISP only for online purchases would help ... or if there are other things we consumers can do to protect our good credit. I'm sure there is a ton of personal information out there and it should make us all nervous.

Sep 19, 2015
Well I think you have your answer. If the IKEA loyalty card starts with 62 and matches the last 4 it seems that Safari has mistaken it for Union pay ..

Macs can get malware so perhaps look at a program such as malwarebytes or others — but I think you found the culprit.

Sep 6, 2015
Disable the auto fill in your browser. You were able to figure out where it may have come from- I don’t think I’d be too concerned if you can figure out the auto fill might have come from something you filled out previously
Without a doubt, but the panic attack from this was not necessary if Apple didn’t hold a somewhat arrogant position that their products don’t need virus protection, and you have to use their forum for issues like this. I love their products, but if this issue came up on 2014, why is it still happening?

Sep 6, 2015
Well I think you have your answer. If the IKEA loyalty card starts with 62 and matches the last 4 it seems that Safari has mistaken it for Union pay ..

Macs can get malware so perhaps look at a program such as malwarebytes or others — but I think you found the culprit.
I found it and matches up exactly. I asked about virus/malware protection the last time I was in the Apple store. They said it isn’t necessary because Apple doesn’t get viruses. Not kidding, that’s what they said. When I’ve searched for a good product to use on my MacBook, reviews say how much it screws up your computer and such. It’s so frustrating, because my non computer brain works much better with Apple products.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Without a doubt, but the panic attack from this was not necessary if Apple didn’t hold a somewhat arrogant position that their products don’t need virus protection, and you have to use their forum for issues like this. I love their products, but if this issue came up on 2014, why is it still happening?
I totally get that. I know my wife is still under the impression she can’t have any problems with her iPhone.

Sep 6, 2015
Now that my heart is beating at a normal rate, as opposed to the panic when I saw the China UnionPay on my computer, I want to thank you for your help. Even Chris Elliott reacted like I did in my initial email to him, saying it looked incredibly suspicious. At least now with my credit frozen, no one can open an account in my name. The only way loans can be made using my info is if I unlock the freeze. My husband and I are at an age where we don’t need new credit often, and now that it’s free to put the freeze on your credit access, I highly recommend it. A few years before my dad died, someone opened a mortgage in his name. He had a very unusual spelling of his first name, which I would have thought would have slowed a culprit down, but it didn’t. And then nothing I said would convince my previously sharp witted, math teaching father to contact the credit agencies. Told me his bank was handling it. The same bank that allowed the mortgage to be opened in his name.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My wife’s debit card was compromised at a gas station years ago and we learned the hard way about freezing your credit report. I’m happy to see you were proactive - and that your went the extra step to try to figure out where it came from . This is a good post for others to see in case it happens to them.

Sep 19, 2015
Why is it still happenening? Most people do not save affinity cards and the IKEA one has the coinidence of having the right amount of digits and the first numbers coincide with bank issued cards. I am not sure how they could program safari To distinguish between ikea and unionpay based on numbers only.

You can run a free version of malware bytes as a quick check.

Terrible about the mortgage in the fathers name.

At least you now know what it. I

I was going to ask you if you have a cat because I could see a cat hacking especially to order treats and toys on chewy.... mine would.:)