Child New Passport Delay

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 22, 2019
Hi - I am looking for some advise on the matter of my child's new passport. The original application for new passport was submitted on May 28 2019 when the processing time was 4-6 weeks. Seems the processing time changed in early Jun 2019 to 6-8 weeks. I received a letter on 27 Jun from Houston passport agency that they needed some additional documentation which reached them on July 12 (based on tracking). Based on my travel plan on Jul 17 I also sent a 72 hour travel notification through the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) to Houston agency but when I didn't see any progress I requested expedite ($60)and overnight delivery ($15) on this past Friday 19 July 2019 but haven't heard anything so far.

Wanted to check if there is anything else I can do to be assured that we will get the passport this week as we definitely need to travel early next week. Would calling congressman or walking in to local passport agency in NY or PA (no appointments available this week) help ?

Thanks in advance for your help, so frustrated with no transparency other than just waiting.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When are you traveling, next week? You need to make an appointment ASAP and go directly to the closest passport office to get the passport.
Our government has moved hundreds of TSA agents handling these to assist at borders and it has caused tremendous back ups of passports.

Call you closest office today and make an appointment - or you can simply go and they will take you. You’ll have to bring copies of your plane tickets and everything you’ve sent.

Jul 22, 2019
When are you traveling, next week? You need to make an appointment ASAP and go directly to the closest passport office to get the passport.
Our government has moved hundreds of TSA agents handling these to assist at borders and it has caused tremendous back ups of passports.

Call you closest office today and make an appointment - or you can simply go and they will take you. You’ll have to bring copies of your plane tickets and everything you’ve sent.
Thanks Neil for your quick response. We plan to travel on Tuesday July 30. The issue is there are no appointments available at the US passport agency close to us in PA or NY. Should we do a walk-in there with no appointment, will that be entertained by them ? Also I don't have some of the originals that are submitted with the passport application so can only take copies is that OK ?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Just go- they won’t turn you away. I advise clients all the time to do this if they have a problem and no one has ever been turned away.

Yes you’ll have to take what you have but make sure you bring new passport picture with you and the child

Jul 22, 2019
Just go- they won’t turn you away. I advise clients all the time to do this if they have a problem and no one has ever been turned away.

Yes you’ll have to take what you have but make sure you bring new passport picture with you and the child
Ok thanks will give that a try.

Feb 3, 2019
TSA has nothing to do with borders or passport issuance. Perhaps you meant CBP?

At any rate, the State Department, not DHS, issues passports.

Jul 22, 2019
First call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 to see if they can tell you the status of your open application.

If you do choose to apply again in person, please be sure both parents accompany the child or have provided proper consent.
Thanks, have been following up with NPIC on same number above for about 2 weeks now with no luck - tried to give 72 hour travel notice twice, requested expediting and overnight passport delivery as well but no updates so far.

I am not able to apply again as the original documents are with the Houston agency as required with the application. Does anyone here have experience if PA or NY agency can pull existing passport application file in process with different agency like Houston agency here and issue same day passport if I do walk in ?

Jul 13, 2016
Also, call your representative. Back in 2007, I sent my passport in with a 2 month lead time for a UK wedding. Due to the sudden backlog of people needing passports for Mexico and Canada, my application got delayed until three weeks after the wedding, so I called my representative, Anna Eschoo, and her office tracked down my passport application, and I had it two days later, sent overnight from DC. I tried to call the US passport office, even getting up at 4am pacific time so I could start calling right when their phone lines opened at 7am eastern time, but I could never get through.

Jul 22, 2019
Also, call your representative. Back in 2007, I sent my passport in with a 2 month lead time for a UK wedding. Due to the sudden backlog of people needing passports for Mexico and Canada, my application got delayed until three weeks after the wedding, so I called my representative, Anna Eschoo, and her office tracked down my passport application, and I had it two days later, sent overnight from DC. I tried to call the US passport office, even getting up at 4am pacific time so I could start calling right when their phone lines opened at 7am eastern time, but I could never get through.
Thanks I will explore this path in parallel to going to PA agency tomorrow.

Jul 22, 2019
Update : Went to PA agency today practically took the whole day as there were lot of walkins. They looked at the case and asked me come tomorrow as they need to request the file from Houston :-( They said they cannot provide any assurances till they see the file. Fingers crossed going back tomorrow. Not sure if I think may even have to go third time if they process my passport in PA if they dont offer same day passport printing and delivery.

Jul 22, 2019
You brought new passport pictures, correct? They can issue everything the same day when they get all the info.
Thanks Neil and others your advise was spot on. I was able to get my son's passport today from PA. The drama is over !!!

They had to refile my application from PA agency and were able to get my case file online from Houston agency (which resulted me in going there twice). I wish they educate the NPIC call center better in cases like mine to go the nearest agency with the situation and they can refile and process. Hope this update here helps others in similar situation as mine.

Thanks again everyone, don't have enough words to appreciate my gratitude.