Cheaptickets - Ticket Cancelled without notification

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 20, 2015
On Sep 26th 2015, I booked an international flight from TPA to MAA with a travel date of 15th Jan 2016 via cheaptickets.com. It's gulfair flight (codeshare with aa) with an itinerary Tampa-Dallas-Frankfurt-Bahrain-Chennai. My CC was charged with the total ticket price.

On 30th October 2015 (after nearly 40 days), I received a call and an email from cheapticket that the itinerary was updated to Tampa-Dallas-London-Bahrain-Chennai. I said am fine with it as long as the ticket is confirmed. They vouched that the ticket is confirmed.

On 13th Nov 2015, I tried to check my booking in gulfair as well as in aa site and it just showed 2 flights Tampa-Dallas in aa and Bahrain-Chennai in gulfair. I called cheaptickets and reported this. They told that the scheduled flight from Dallas-London and London-Bahrain are cancelled (I haven't been notified about this). However, they confirmed that they'll check with the airline and get back to me with a new itinerary.

Few days back, cheaptickets called me and asked me to travel on 14th instead of 15th of Jan. Since i've other plans on 14th, I asked them to look for any itinerary on 15th or 16th and I opted for an itinerary via London instead of Paris (because of the current issues).

Yesterday, they called me and stated that there aren't any flight via London and I have to go via Paris. I accepted this. They told that they have to check with airline again. Till now I haven't received any confirmation.

When I asked what might happen if they are not able to find any itinerary with same airline, they informed me that they'll cancel the ticket for a full refund and I need to book a fresh ticket with the current price.
Since I didn't cancel the ticket, am not sure why I should pay the additional fare. When I asked about this, their customer service rep told that they can't help me to pay the difference.

The prices have gone up now and I don't want to pay any more additional. How should I handle this?

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
I'm not sure what you want them to do. They've offered to rebook you and that's all they're required to do. They can't control the airlines.

I'd suggest if you don't want to pay the additional money, be a bit more flexible with your travel plans.

Nov 20, 2015
I understand and I informed them that am flexible to travel via any route on 15th or even on 16th.

However, there are few concerns,
First, I have not been informed about the cancellation. What if I reach the airport only to find out that my tickets were cancelled. Anyways, am fine with this

Secondly, it's been a week since I raised this issue and till now they haven't been able to rebook any ticket. So this doesn't look good to me

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Have you checked your spam folder? It's possible the email from them got stuck there.

I agree a week should ample time for them to rebook you. Since we still have a bit of time, I'd follow up to their customer service and ask them the status. It's entirely possible there is a miscommunication and they're waiting on you for information, especially considering there has been some back and forth regarding dates, etc. I'd suggest trying by phone - something I normally don't do - simply to find the status of what's going on.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Oh, this is an awful situation, worrying about your whole trip. I agree with Techno, call them, every day if necessary, Be prepared to be very flexible. As soon as they have a new itinerary confirmed, check it with the airlines. Keep checking to be sure your flights are still valid.

Unless, of course, you can find another source, like a real travel agent, to rebook at a decent price, then you can cancel for a full refund. But you have to be able to carry the old charges and the new ones on your credit card until the refund comes through. That could take some time.

And next time, don't book a trip with any entity with "cheap" in its name. In our forums experience, cheap equals poor customer service. I think you can see what I'm talking about. Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When there is an itinerary change like this, if the alternative flights don't work for you and there are no other flights to rebook you on, only other option is to receive a full refund.

I would not let it sit because the longer you wait, the more the prices will go up and you may have to pay more for alternative flights.

You need to make an informed decision as to whether to get a refund or if they can rebook you, but don't wait too long.

Nov 20, 2015
Right now am in the worst possible situation.
1) Cheaptickets told that they can't help me any further because the airlines claimed the ticket
2) Gulf air cancels the ticket and rebooks it often. I've received multiple itineraries until now and there are so many changes to the itinerary
3) When I check gulf air website it shows a different itinerary and when I check the same in american airlines, it shows a different itinerary with 2 additional flights
4) When I call american airlines, they are claiming that they can't touch the tickets because the ticket is owned by gulf air
5) When i call gulf air, they told that they've re-issued the ticket and they can't help anything if american airlines website shows different flight since they can't fix american airlines system
6) When i call american airlines, they are telling me that they can't allow me to board the flight because of the issues in the ticket
7) I conferenced gulf air and american airlines cc reps to resolve the issue and they can't help me either
8)Gulf air claimed that they can't give me a full refund for the ticket and I get nothing if I cancel the ticket
I've been calling gulf air and american airlines multiple times for the past few weeks with no help. Still mt itinerary is different in both these airlines and all the seats I chosen were gone. I've an elderly mother who's travelling in this flight and am worried what's going to happen with these flights.
Am really not sure how to fix this. Am totally frustrated and am really in a deadend.
I've attached the itinerary details that's displayed in gulf air as well as american airlines.
Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

Oct 5, 2015
How should I handle this?
Warning this is highly technical but this is the reason for your problem

Call Gulf Air and talk to a manager.

Tell them their Constructed Routing Maps for TPA to MAA fare are stuck on USAir and need to be updated to AA.

CONSTRUCTED ROUTING - SPECIFIED 500 DEST ADD 100
FROM-TO TPA-GF/US-DFW-GF/US-CHI/DFW-PAR/LON/FRA-BAH-MAA*

Also tell them to map AA interline allowed booking classes to O in the lowest (O) fare class; and V.and N in the intermediate fare class.
Sample:
A/L BKG CODE RESTRICTIONS
GF V REQUIRED
US N REQUIRED
US O REQUIRED

What happened is the Gulf Air completely forgot to update their fare rules and left their interlined routing rules with US. Now that AA is USAir no one can update the interlined flights in GF itineraries and tickets.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Oct 5, 2015
Oh and by the way there are seats from TPA to MAA on the 15th of JAN. They just have to fix their problems above.

1 AA2488O 15JAN FR TPADFW SS1 1115A 110P/O $ E
2*GF6678O 15JAN FR DFWLHR SS1 500P 800A#1/O $ J05 E
3 GF 2O 16JAN SA LHRBAH SS1 930A 700P/X $ J05 E
4 GF 68O 16JAN SA BAHMAA SS1 815P 320A#1/X $ J05 E

Nov 20, 2015
No luck either. I called gulf air, talked to manager, talked to another person from ticketing and they are not willing to hear my problem.
All they are saying is that the itinerary is good in their system and they can't do anything if something is wrong with aa system. They are not willing to talk to aa as well. They are asking me to go to the airport with gulf air itinerary and board the flight.
However, aa tells me that i need to use aa itinerary to board the fligh and I will not be allowed to board the flight if there are multiple trips in this itinerary and my bags will not be transported properly.
Am really fed up with these calls as I've been spending most of the time talking to gulf air and american airlines with no proper resolution.
Is there any other alternate to fix this problem?

Oct 5, 2015
The way I see it is GF's Reservation system and AA's are out of sync because of all the crazy changes that happened. I have seen this happen before with other airlines.

I looked at your itinerary. GF's is not confusing at all. Show up 3 hours before 11AM at TPA at the AA counter and checkin yourself and your bags all the way to Madras.
You are getting confused at AA's display because there is an extraneous TPA to DFW flight segment AA2457 for 230 PM. Ignore that flight since that is a remnant of your old screwed up itinerary. When you get to TPA airport that early morning, AA will clean it up. Just be sure you get checked in the DFW to CDG and other remaining flights.

Best you online checkin at 14Jan in the morning. Try with gulf first. If you cannot checkin for TPA and DFW code shares on AA, , the logon to AA and do it. If you can online check in 24 hours before your flight, that's a real good sign.

By the way since GF took ownership of your PNR, they are free to route you as they wish. Those fare rules I mentioned only apply to agents and other airlines that wish to use GF fares. I just wanted to show how screwed up their fare rule filings are and why that caused your agent to be useless.

Next time you fly to India, please try Etihad, Emirates or Qatar.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2015
By the way, your headline says canceled ticket. I hope you are not correct.
Your old flights might have been canceled but you have new ones now.
Based on the display of the GF itinerary, it says confirmed. Therefore, I assume you have tickets that are good. Never use the term canceled tickets if you want to fly.

Nov 20, 2015
Thanks for the response. Am trying to avoid the situation where I need to go thru this ordeal on the day of my travel. That's why am trying my best to resolve this well before the travel.
I've escalated this issue to gulf air and aa. Let me wait to hear their response.
Is there any other way to resolve this before my travel?
As a passenger, am I need to go thru this to fix the technical glitch happened in their system?

Oct 5, 2015
There really is nothing much to escalate at this time.
AA will not really touch your itinerary since it was made by GF.
Cheaptickets is out of the picture since GF took control of your PNR.
The only possible hitch I am seeing is AA might get confused because you have 2 TPA-DFW flights that same morning.
You will fly the earlier one (11AM) since that is what is in your GF itinerary and ticket.
The 230PM one (AA 2457) is superfluous. So just make sure that AA does not cancel your DFW-CDG flight because you missed AA2457. They should see that that should have been cancelled by GF earlier but your Reservation simply got out of sync.
GF is not gonna do anything more for you because in their eyes and RES system you are good. You cannot force 2 airlines to sync their systems. You just have to be alert the day you travel. So check in online the day before. Good luck.
upload_2015-12-17_16-16-44.png