CheapOair scammed me for 2200 usd

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 24, 2019
Had booked flights from india to Santo Dominigo
Mumbai - delhi- JFK newyork - SDQ Dominican republic departure date 8th June 2019
Return flight 27th June 2019

The departure flight had a major time & airport changes were huge !
Itinerary changed for more than 6 hours and there were two airport changes added in newyork JFK & Newark.. due to which I wudnt have been able to catch the connecting flight to Santo Domingo..
The return flight of 27th frm JFK to mumbai was fully cancelled by the airlines.

I cudnt accommodate any changes and rebbokings after cancellations of flights because I was on a short visa from 8th June to 27th since I was travelling for a surgery for specific dates..

But cheapOair has refused to offer any refund for my flights ..calls unanswered or disconnected after hearing out my details .
Feeling cheated for 2200 usd without being at any fault! How do i get them to refund me my money?
My flight e ticket no -0xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cheap o air receipt booking no- 5xxxxxxx
CheapO air receipt no- Kindly verify the details if anyone doubts this review

Edited by a moderator to remove ticket and booking numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you book the flight to Santo Domingo separately or were all the flights on one ticket (PNR)? Cheapo is known to book several separate one way tickets instead of booking everything on one PNR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 3, 2019
I know it has nothing to do with the poster's travel issues, but I can't help being curious about what kind of surgery would warrant travel from Mumbai all the way to Santo Domingo. With the Dominican Republic best known to potential American clients as a cosmetic surgery destination, the State Department includes a very seriously worded warning on its page for the DR that it doesn't have for other medical tourism destinations such as Thailand and Brazil.

"Cosmetic Surgery: Be aware of the risks associated with cosmetic surgery in the Dominican Republic. U.S. citizens have suffered serious complications or died during or after having cosmetic surgery in the Dominican Republic, including from complications and infections detected only after departure from the Dominican Republic. Verify the credentials and qualifications of any plastic surgeon and discuss post-surgical care and the detection and management of post-surgical infection prior to any procedure. See the CDC’s website on medical tourism for additional information."
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ntry-Information-Pages/DominicanRepublic.html - under Health

Feb 3, 2019
I know it has nothing to do with the poster's travel issues, but I can't help being curious about what kind of surgery would warrant travel from Mumbai all the way to Santo Domingo.
Of course, I now realize the poster didn't state they were the actual patient...

May 24, 2019
Did you book the flight to Santo Domingo separately or were all the flights on one ticket (PNR)? Cheapo is known to book several separate one way tickets instead of booking everything on one PNR.
Hello, yes all the flights were one booked at once..connecting flights from JFK to SDQ were by JET blue

May 25, 2019
FWIW, I think the missing piece here may be that the India-JFK segments may have been on Jet Airways. Jet Airways and JetBlue had an interline agreement to do single PNR tickets between the two airlines. Which means that the real issue is that the money has been swallowed by a bankrupt airline, which means that Cheapo may never have gotten the money back, which would compound Cheapo's known cutomer service problems.

Neha: Was the India segment on Jet Airways?

https://www.elliott.org/answers/get-refund-bankrupt-airline/

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
FWIW, I think the missing piece here may be that the India-JFK segments may have been on Jet Airways. Jet Airways and JetBlue had an interline agreement to do single PNR tickets between the two airlines. Which means that the real issue is that the money has been swallowed by a bankrupt airline, which means that Cheapo may never have gotten the money back, which would compound Cheapo's known cutomer service problems.

Which is why w need the OP to give us more information.

May 24, 2019

Hey, no the airline was Air India...I contacted air india for the refund but they said since the booking is through the third party the cancelled ticket money
has been processed for a refund to them ! It's the cheap0 agency who is holding my money & also charging me a hefty service charge on it ! The customer representative on the calling number are so mean & conceited that they just put you on hold & never come back ...they have made me hold the line for hours each day ! Already wasted 250 usd more on international calling..more than anything it frustrates me in today's day & age when people's voices can be heard out loud there are still others who take advantage cheat & rob and still sit out Scot free as esteemed enterprises ! But exposing such agencies is going to benefit us all consumers in the end ! I hope who ever reads this , flags this agency & rather buy directly through the airlines..if not refund at least one gets the money as miles!
I am going to make a claim against them pretty soon..but until then any help on this forum will be appreciated!

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I can’t believe I’m going to say this and it’s Very Very unfortunate you used a Debit Card BUT dispute the purchase immediately. Gather ALL evidence of the cancelled flights and changes to give to you bank. Disputes are made IN Writing. Ask your bank the process they want you to follow. But be aware that Debit Card does not provide the protections that a Credit Card does. STOP USING THAT DEBIT CARD for things like Airline Tickets. Debit cards offer little protection and are a direct line to your bank account.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Cheapoair is cheap for a reason. They have no customer service. As soon as one of your flights was changed by 6 hours you could have had a refund had you booked directly with the airline. This is a real shame and I hope you can get this resolved somehow.

May 24, 2019
I can’t believe I’m going to say this and it’s Very Very unfortunate you used a Debit Card BUT dispute the purchase immediately. Gather ALL evidence of the cancelled flights and changes to give to you bank. Disputes are made IN Writing. Ask your bank the process they want you to follow. But be aware that Debit Card does not provide the protections that a Credit Card does. STOP USING THAT DEBIT CARD for things like Airline Tickets. Debit cards offer little protection and are a direct line to your bank account.
Thanks for the tip ! Would do that hence forth.

May 24, 2019
Your problem was using a debit card for the purchase. You probably will not be able to do a dispute on a debit card but contact your bank immediately to see if they can help.

Stop calling Cheapo and start writing. We have executive contacts:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/fareportal/

This is how to write: https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
Ok. I shall do that right away ! & will update about the resolution or the response I get. Thank you all for taking out time to reach out & help..I appreciate it a lot

May 24, 2019
Cheapoair is cheap for a reason. They have no customer service. As soon as one of your flights was changed by 6 hours you could have had a refund had you booked directly with the airline. This is a real shame and I hope you can get this resolved somehow.
Yes ! Extremely horrible!! not only are my plans cancelled now, but I have incurred loss for no reason!
I thought booking through a mediating company will only provide more security in case of discrepancies.but lesson learned !

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Lesson learned for sure, a most painful one. These online booking services spend millions on advertising and millions of travellers are sucked in. Unless you read everything about travel all the time, you can't possibly know how awful they are. But DON'T GIVE UP. We see miracles here all the time. Someone even got PriceLine to make things right a couple of weeks ago.