CheapOair.com business practices

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 18, 2018
I booked a flight reservation xxxxxxxon May 10, 2018 using CheapOair.com for a flight on Spirit Airlines. The total cost was $194.34. I had also purchased a Travel Protection Plan (TPP) for an additional $11.95. But I cancelled the flight reservation later and was issued a travel voucher for just $26 instead of a full refund because it was a "voluntary cancellation" which their TPP does not cover nor was it cancelled within their 24 hour deadline time-frame. On June 16th I get a phone call from CheapOair asking for an additional $15 cancellation fee which they had not been able to collect. Since I had already paid extra for "cancellation insurance" the fifteen dollar "cancellation fee" should have been included in that. This is an unfair business practice. I suggested that they take the $15 from their $26 refund voucher which I will not be using by their deadline. But they claim that they are unable to do that. So I just lose $168. What can be done about this?

Note: edited by moderator to remove reservation number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you didn’t cancel your flight for a valid covered reason, the insurance doesn’t cover the cancellation. That means you cancel due to illness, death in the family, etc.

I assume you never read the policy to see what was and wasn’t covered. This is what the insurance says:

“You can cancel or interrupt your trip for covered reasons only. Examples of covered reasons for trip cancellation/interruption include illness, injury or death of you, a family member or traveling companion; supplier cancellations due to a strike; traffic accident en route to departure; a documented theft of passports or visas; a Terrorist Act; and your home made uninhabitable by fire, flood, hurricane or natural disaster. See Description of Coverage for more information. The Description of Coverage will outline all named reasons for trip cancellation and interruption. A claim should not be filed in the event the trip is cancelled or changed outside of the named reasons.“

Why did you cancel the trip?

Mar 17, 2015
I cannot believe they contacted you for a $15 fee when you were already out most of the ticket cost. I think this is a poor business decision. I do not think you can recoup your airfare, but do not pay the $15 fee. If they charge it to your card, I would read the terms of the cancellation and suggest this was resolved with the credit given to you.

Mar 14, 2018
I cannot believe they contacted you for a $15 fee when you were already out most of the ticket cost. I think this is a poor business decision. I do not think you can recoup your airfare, but do not pay the $15 fee. If they charge it to your card, I would read the terms of the cancellation and suggest this was resolved with the credit given to you.
Their terms explicitly say they will charge a fee for their services in cancelling a ticket. It might be a bad business decision but it's a legit charge.

Sep 19, 2015
Cheapoair charges a cancellation fee even if a ticket is cancelled within 24 hours. They are allowed to do that, as the 24 hour free cancellation only applies to reservations made directly with the airline.

Many of these online booking engines are penny wise pound foolish as the saying goes. They charge high fees of their own.

As these are disclosed they are legal, even as distasteful as they are.

If one cancels for a reason that is not covered there is little one can do. I imagine they will keep trying to charge the card on file.

This is a painful lesson on the drawbacks of an online booking engine.

Mar 17, 2015
My point was, she has a voucher, now if the voucher is for Spirit, then that is another story. If the voucher is for cheapoair, they had the chance to take the fee and did not, so coming after the customer later is what I find ridiculous.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My point was, she has a voucher, now if the voucher is for Spirit, then that is another story. If the voucher is for cheapoair, they had the chance to take the fee and did not, so coming after the customer later is what I find ridiculous.
They can’t do that. They are refunding the taxes which they legally have to do. They can’t take out their fees from that.

Another lesson that learn about booking with an OTA and reading what you are buying. You cannot assume buying insurance allows you to simply cancel your trip- there are restrictions to insurance on what is and isn’t covered.