Cheapo is now CheapNO

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My guess is that the airline had 3 mergers so it may have come from one of those databases. The interesting thing is I have flown the airline dozens of times and it never showed up before, including a business trip and a pleasure trip in the previous month.
A most astute insight, Frank. Friend of mine just printed her boarding pass at the airport the morning of her flight, her name included "Doctor". Now, she IS a dentist, but never uses that professional title outside of her practice. It did not appear on her res, nor on her FF account. But I'll bet at some point she did use it, and the airline she was flying has been through at least 2 mergers. Delta CS straightened it right out for her ... it is amazing how complicated life can be for today's traveller.

May 16, 2018
There is certainly no consistency is the enforcement. The only way to be certain is to have your name match the ID exactly.
Well, our names never ever match exactly, since I do not use middle names on the tickets. Our driver's licenses do not have middle names. The passports do. Lately the airlines themselves are refusing to put middle names on international tickets. Missing names don't seem to bother the airlines the way misspellings or other differences do. But that is truly ridiculous from a security standpoint, since if the name is Jane Smith, who's to say which Jane Smith I am? My ticket would match any middle name.

On top of this, when we have tried to match things to the passport we get something that matches even less--and the airlines don't care. The airlines have antiquated systems that cannot handle 2 first names, 2 last names, hyphenated names, and long names. They will smoosh names together, abbreviate names, and even remove letters from the middle of names in an effort to fit into their limitations.

So forgive me if I side with poor Zachary on this one. If they can let a relative of mine with a long name pass with letters missing from the end and middle because the airline itself abbreviated and truncated it, then they can let Zachary/Zackary pass.

This is a shake down for money, pure and simple. If it weren't, then they would be as fastidious with their own entries as they are with ours--when there's money to be made.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Well, our names never ever match exactly, since I do not use middle names on the tickets. Our driver's licenses do not have middle names. The passports do. Lately the airlines themselves are refusing to put middle names on international tickets. Missing names don't seem to bother the airlines the way misspellings or other differences do. But that is truly ridiculous from a security standpoint, since if the name is Jane Smith, who's to say which Jane Smith I am? My ticket would match any middle name.

On top of this, when we have tried to match things to the passport we get something that matches even less--and the airlines don't care. The airlines have antiquated systems that cannot handle 2 first names, 2 last names, hyphenated names, and long names. They will smoosh names together, abbreviate names, and even remove letters from the middle of names in an effort to fit into their limitations.

So forgive me if I side with poor Zachary on this one. If they can let a relative of mine with a long name pass with letters missing from the end and middle because the airline itself abbreviated and truncated it, then they can let Zachary/Zackary pass.

This is a shake down for money, pure and simple. If it weren't, then they would be as fastidious with their own entries as they are with ours--when there's money to be made.
If you wish to try to board an international flight with a ticket that does not match your passport you take the risk that the OP suffered. This problem was not due to Cheapo but because the passenger did not bother to check his ticket reservation against his passport. US flights may be more lenient, but international flights are not lenient and who wants to risk being denied boarding as in this case. If you set up your airline profile with the name on your passport you will not have this problem. If you rely on typing in your name each time and do not check the ticket within 24 hours, sooner or later you will be left at the gate. My wife managed to misssppeelll our daughter's first name on a ticket; fortunately, she picked this up within 24 hrs and fixed it.

"Since if the name is Jane Smith, who's to say which Jane Smith I am? " Your ID is your passport with a picture.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
There are actually international airlines that don’t even have a box to put a middle name in - Aer Lingus is one. We’ve seen lately that not having a middle name on a ticket doesn’t matter that much on many international flight, although I would never book a clients flight like that.

The original post had a very different scenario- the OPs name was mispelled by one letter. Years ago the airlines fixed these things with no problem but times have changed with being worried about terrorism etc. The airlines have learned how to turn this into a money making opportunity now by requiring a new ticket be purchased in addition to paying a fee.

It seems like when consumers get a win somewhere- such as the DOT rules changing to allow a cancellation/change within 24 hours, the airlines found a way to make up for it on the back end. It’s all about money.

If you book your own travel you need to know as much as a travel agent knows about rules. One simple mistake like this could cost you thousands. If a travel agent had booked the ticket and made the spelling error, guess who pays for it? Not the consumer.

You don’t know what you don’t know about booking your own travel until something like this happens.

May 16, 2018
If you wish to try to board an international flight with a ticket that does not match your passport you take the risk that the OP suffered.
I'm sorry but what am I risking exactly? I have flown internationally twice recently and yes, my profiles match my passport, but the airlines still did not put the middle name on the respective tickets. For these 2 trips, I had to book over the phone, and it was the airline rep who insisted on leaving out the middle name.

So....if the airline _decides_ that the passport doesn't need to match, and truncates/shortens a name or smooshes names together, or leaves a name out, then it isn't a security risk. But if some poor bloke puts Bob instead of Robert, or Zackary instead of Zachary, then it is suddenly a security risk, and the person is not allowed to board.....well, unless he pays thousands of dollars.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm sorry but what am I risking exactly? I have flown internationally twice recently and yes, my profiles match my passport, but the airlines still did not put the middle name on the respective tickets. For these 2 trips, I had to book over the phone, and it was the airline rep who insisted on leaving out the middle name.

So....if the airline _decides_ that the passport doesn't need to match, and truncates/shortens a name or smooshes names together, or leaves a name out, then it isn't a security risk. But if some poor bloke puts Bob instead of Robert, or Zackary instead of Zachary, then it is suddenly a security risk, and the person is not allowed to board.....well, unless he pays thousands of dollars.
You know what you're risking, Jane. Denied boarding and new tix at walk-up rates. I absolutely agree with you, the risk is minimal; I fly internationally and intra-Europe with no middle name. You're also right about a "security risk"; it's a money-grab pure and simple.

I truly do not think that a mature, confident, experienced traveller would ever actually be denied boarding for NMN, I'm sure it could all be worked out somehow. Zach's case was ridiculous, absolutely no reason for them to pull that on a young man. Had he been wearing a jacket and tie, chances are they would have "not noticed". I imagine that the airlines do target the young or confused or distracted pax with this exact name baloney. The mind boggles imagining a staff meeting of tix agents and how they're told to do their jobs.

Jan 6, 2015
If ever there was one case for pausing to review before choosing "continue" (or "buy" or "purchase"), airline reservations would be it. And also important given the cases of name changes after a guest enters the name properly, to save a picture of the page.

For FireFox users I recommend the "Save Page WE" add-on. I have used this many times to save a page as an HTML file and it works great for 99% of the web pages.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Since the op has not been back since the original posting and the thread has somewhat gone off topic I am closing the thread. If the op would like us to re-open the thread, please let one of us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.