Cheapo is now CheapNO

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2019
To Whom it may concern;
In July a group of us began planning for a trip to Africa in order to hike Mt. Kilimanjaro. It is now February 4th, departure date and our group of 5 that showed up to the airport in Phoenix has been reduced to a group of 4.

Zackary/Zachary was unable to board the flight departing Phoenix for JFK because of a one letter mistake. The inability of Cheapo Air and Jet Blue to figure out how to change ONE LETTER cost a member of our group 6 months of training and a couple thousand dollars and missing out on the trip of a life time with his cousin and friends.
After about 30-45 minutes of frantic phone conversation with Cheapo Air near the ticket counter and after agreeing to pay 2000 dollars to “change” the reservation, Jet Blue was unable to help because their ticket counter was now closed. Apparently it costs Cheapo air 2000.00 to change a K to an H.

I refuse to believe that there is not an employee or supervisor at Cheapo Air that couldn’t override the 2000 dollar ‘change fee’ when it was not in fact a change of reservation but a TYPO. I also refuse to believe that once Zack broke down and was going to pay the ridiculous fee that Jet Blue was unable to keep their ticketing open long enough to get him checked in and to the gate. Unless its an FAA Polly that the counter must close at _____time then there is no reason that someone couldn't have made this happen.

I feel like everyone from the Cheapo Air representative and supervisor that handled the call and the Jet Blue employees at the check in counter could’ve done more and simply didn’t. I refuse to believe that it is that impossible to change ONE LETTER so that someone can board a plane. Some one that can CLEARLY PROVE that they are the person that is on the passport.

So now its time for plan B. I am not the type to be resigned to the 'theres nothing anyone could do' excuse. As we are all trying o scramble through security last minute (minus poor Zack) due to the fiasco we are attempting to book Zack a ticket from PHX to JKF on another airline so that maybe we can sort out this ordeal there and get him on our 0945 Qatar flight. I found an American flight leaving at 0020 on 04/05/19 and arriving at 0703. He left terminal 3 and went to terminal 4 at PHX. He was at the counter trying to buy the ticket and they wouldn’t not take his credit card, as Cheapo air had placed a 2000 hold on his card for the flight that he paid to change that he couldn’t even check in for because of Jet Blue and their 'closing time'. So at that point he couldn’t book the American flight to JFK. He had cash and they wouldn't even take it. As Platinum status with AAdvantage I am disappointed in American for not doing more for him, but they didn’t drop the ball nearly as badly as Cheapo air and Jet Blue did.

So the 4 of us are currently on our way to JFK for our Doha connection minus Zack. Who is not going to be able to arrive in New York in time to catch the flight to Doha to JRO to make the climb that he has trained months for and paid THOUSANDS of dollars for. At this point I am wondering IF and HOW and WHO will issue a refund. If he loses this opportunity AND THE MONEY then that is absolutely ridiculous. Our absolute last safety net here is the travel insurance. Hopefully this royal cluster of a mess is covered here. We will have to explore our options as we arrive at JFK.

I am floored that no one could do more. I also refuse to believe that no one could do more. This incident will be sent to the Better Business Bureau and I will be posting it on each social media platform available as well as YELP and Trip Advisor. I will be posting it so that everyone involved in the various roadblocks that prevented this trip are publicly called out. All parties involved should have done more to get him on an airplane to JFK at the very least and I really hope that all parties involved realize how devastating this is and the gravity of taking away a once in a lifetime opportunity like this.

If anyone reading this can offer a solution, my email is Bxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com. I will be monitoring it continuously. I am willing to put my personal email out there in hopes to procure a fix in the next couple of hours, although my hopes aren't high at this point.....all because an H is saved on a reservation instead of a K. I hope at the very least that some one reads this and is incredibly diligent in future bookings of travel.

Sincerely,

The Mt Kilimanjaro LeMosho Route group of February 2019 MINUS ONE.

Edited by a moderator to remove email address

Last edited by a moderator:

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If you arrive at the airport for an international flight with a ticket that does not show the same EXACT SAME name as is on your passport you are not going to be allowed to board. The "change fee" is not a change fee but a new ticket at the walk-up price. To be allowed to board, he was being required to buy a new ticket. And yes the FAA hard a hard time rule when check-in is closed and cannot be overridden by anyone. It appears that there was not enough time to complete the new ticketing before the flight was closed for check-in.

When did this passenger realize that his ticket was not in his correct name? If this was realized weeks/months ago, then there was an opportunity to fix the problem (although he would still have had to cancel the first ticket and buy a new one). If this was not realized until arrival at the airport, unless he tried to check in at least 3 hours before the flight the chance that he would be allowed to fly was very small.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
To Whom it may concern;
In July a group of us began planning for a trip to Africa in order to hike Mt. Kilimanjaro. It is now February 4th, departure date and our group of 5 that showed up to the airport in Phoenix has been reduced to a group of 4.

Zackary/Zachary was unable to board the flight departing Phoenix for JFK because of a one letter mistake. The inability of Cheapo Air and Jet Blue to figure out how to change ONE LETTER cost a member of our group 6 months of training and a couple thousand dollars and missing out on the trip of a life time with his cousin and friends.
After about 30-45 minutes of frantic phone conversation with Cheapo Air near the ticket counter and after agreeing to pay 2000 dollars to “change” the reservation, Jet Blue was unable to help because their ticket counter was now closed. Apparently it costs Cheapo air 2000.00 to change a K to an H.

I refuse to believe that there is not an employee or supervisor at Cheapo Air that couldn’t override the 2000 dollar ‘change fee’ when it was not in fact a change of reservation but a TYPO. I also refuse to believe that once Zack broke down and was going to pay the ridiculous fee that Jet Blue was unable to keep their ticketing open long enough to get him checked in and to the gate. Unless its an FAA Polly that the counter must close at _____time then there is no reason that someone couldn't have made this happen.

I feel like everyone from the Cheapo Air representative and supervisor that handled the call and the Jet Blue employees at the check in counter could’ve done more and simply didn’t. I refuse to believe that it is that impossible to change ONE LETTER so that someone can board a plane. Some one that can CLEARLY PROVE that they are the person that is on the passport.

So now its time for plan B. I am not the type to be resigned to the 'theres nothing anyone could do' excuse. As we are all trying o scramble through security last minute (minus poor Zack) due to the fiasco we are attempting to book Zack a ticket from PHX to JKF on another airline so that maybe we can sort out this ordeal there and get him on our 0945 Qatar flight. I found an American flight leaving at 0020 on 04/05/19 and arriving at 0703. He left terminal 3 and went to terminal 4 at PHX. He was at the counter trying to buy the ticket and they wouldn’t not take his credit card, as Cheapo air had placed a 2000 hold on his card for the flight that he paid to change that he couldn’t even check in for because of Jet Blue and their 'closing time'. So at that point he couldn’t book the American flight to JFK. He had cash and they wouldn't even take it. As Platinum status with AAdvantage I am disappointed in American for not doing more for him, but they didn’t drop the ball nearly as badly as Cheapo air and Jet Blue did.

So the 4 of us are currently on our way to JFK for our Doha connection minus Zack. Who is not going to be able to arrive in New York in time to catch the flight to Doha to JRO to make the climb that he has trained months for and paid THOUSANDS of dollars for. At this point I am wondering IF and HOW and WHO will issue a refund. If he loses this opportunity AND THE MONEY then that is absolutely ridiculous. Our absolute last safety net here is the travel insurance. Hopefully this royal cluster of a mess is covered here. We will have to explore our options as we arrive at JFK.

I am floored that no one could do more. I also refuse to believe that no one could do more. This incident will be sent to the Better Business Bureau and I will be posting it on each social media platform available as well as YELP and Trip Advisor. I will be posting it so that everyone involved in the various roadblocks that prevented this trip are publicly called out. All parties involved should have done more to get him on an airplane to JFK at the very least and I really hope that all parties involved realize how devastating this is and the gravity of taking away a once in a lifetime opportunity like this.

If anyone reading this can offer a solution, my email is Brittanygroves@hotmail.com. I will be monitoring it continuously. I am willing to put my personal email out there in hopes to procure a fix in the next couple of hours, although my hopes aren't high at this point.....all because an H is saved on a reservation instead of a K. I hope at the very least that some one reads this and is incredibly diligent in future bookings of travel.

Sincerely,

The Mt Kilimanjaro LeMosho Route group of February 2019 MINUS ONE.
The fundamental problem is that someone booked Zachary's ticket with the incorrect name and this appears not to have been recognized or dealt with until arrival at the airport for the first leg of the trip. This is not CheapOair's or JetBlue's fault. It is the fault of whoever booked the tickets.
The BBB, social media etc etc is not going to change that fact.

There is also not likely to be a refund. If the ticket was non-refundable then he will be listed as a no show. Travel insurance is also likely to deny any claim made.

Was this trip booked through a travel agent? If so the agent should have verified all names before booking. If not then the responsibility for the name error falls entirely on the persons who booked the tickets.

Feb 5, 2019
He booked the ticket and didn’t realize this until he went to check in. It’s a reasonable mistake and is either attributed to a typo or an auto correct issue. I just find it difficult to believe that no one was able to help him.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
He booked the ticket and didn’t realize this until he went to check in. It’s a reasonable mistake and is either attributed to a typo or an auto correct issue. I just find it difficult to believe that no one was able to help him.
It’s not a “reasonable “mistake. He had 24 hours after booking to fix the ticket at no charge. Didn’t he check his confirmation as soon as it was emailed? Once that 24 hour period expires you have to buy a new ticket.

When you book international tickets you have to make sure the ticket reads EXACTLY as the passport reads- no typos or errors.

When you are booking a once in a lifetime trip why would you use Cheapo Air and not book with a travel agent? This wouldn’t have happened had you booked with a professional.

Sep 27, 2018
It’s not a “reasonable “mistake. He had 24 hours after booking to fix the ticket at no charge. Didn’t he check his confirmation as soon as it was emailed? Once that 24 hour period expires you have to buy a new ticket.

When you book international tickets you have to make sure the ticket reads EXACTLY as the passport reads- no typos or errors.

When you are booking a once in a lifetime trip why would you use Cheapo Air and not book with a travel agent? This wouldn’t have happened had you booked with a professional.
I had a similar issue a few year ago where my reservation was correct, but when I printed out my boarding passes a Jr was added to the end of my name. I had used Jr informally when I lived with my parents which was 40 years ago, and have not had this show up on a boarding pass. I don't know what database this change was mined from, but I checked my passport, birth cert, employer database and the datatbase file with the travel agent, no Jr to be found. In any case, it took my full service corporate travel agent nearly 6 hours to fix this, luckily I had checked in 24 hrs ahead of the flight. Every time they reissued the tix, the Jr popped up. Took the agent 3 tries to get this fixed, so I am not surprised Cheapo could not fix this quickly. The lesson in this is that a mistake in a data base can live forever. Mine was probably stuck in some airline database from a tix issued 40 years ago.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Be aware that should he be able to take his trip on a new outbound ticket, his original ticket will be completely canceled, meaning his return flights on the original ticket will be invalid too.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I had a similar issue a few year ago where my reservation was correct, but when I printed out my boarding passes a Jr was added to the end of my name. I had used Jr informally when I lived with my parents which was 40 years ago, and have not had this show up on a boarding pass. I don't know what database this change was mined from, but I checked my passport, birth cert, employer database and the datatbase file with the travel agent, no Jr to be found. In any case, it took my full service corporate travel agent nearly 6 hours to fix this, luckily I had checked in 24 hrs ahead of the flight. Every time they reissued the tix, the Jr popped up. Took the agent 3 tries to get this fixed, so I am not surprised Cheapo could not fix this quickly. The lesson in this is that a mistake in a data base can live forever. Mine was probably stuck in some airline database from a tix issued 40 years ago.
Did you by any chance have a mileage account with that particular supplier? We’ve seen an issue here of someone who had a FF account and had not signed up with his name as spelled on his passport. When he purchased tickets, the name as it appeared on his FF account filled in on the ticket screen and he never noticed.

Sep 19, 2015
Computers lock the check in. This is done so passenger lists can be generated for security reasons (TSA secure flight, Border Patrol for flights landing in other countries, etc).

Sadly others have had to buy new tickets because of late arrival to the airport.

I am not surprised that cheapo was of little help— they are an online booking agency not a proper travel agent.

Had this been noticed earlier and booked directly there is a possibility that it would have been fixed with little extra fee. — someone was able to get a name correction on UA and Croatia ticket for no charge.

Realizing last minute made it difficult.

Now I am surprised that JetBlue was so rigid — there are some airlines that have a procedure for correcting a typo — but the problem is noticing last minute. But again using Cheapo that complicates things.

If the flight from JFK to Doha was on the same ticket it is likely that was cancelled when the passenger did not check in for the first leg — so the AA ticket may have been useless. AA and most US airlines do not accept cash because of not being able to store it at the counters safely— and last minute cash tickets are thought of as security risks — the 9/11 hijackers paid cash for their tickets so not to be tracked.

It is a shame that the passenger never noticed the typo. It is also a shame that he used cheapo.

Is there any way the passenger can catch up with the group?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Insurance usually doesn’t cover ticketing errors so your friend might be in due another disappointment if he tries to put in an insurance claim. He is not owed a refund for his original ticket either.

No one can override the computers when they lock down an hour before the flight is scheduled to leave. The manifest goes to Homeland Security for verification before passengers board.

Unfortunately this could have been fixed if he had looked at the confirmation when he received it and corrected it within 24 hours, or he had tried to do his online check in the night before. Had he found this the night before he could have repurchased his ticket and began in his way.

Just an FYI- he needs to be the one to post here if he wants help, it’s against our board policies to act in behalf of third parties. But there isn’t anything we can do anyway as the airline didn’t do anything wrong.

From our FAQS:
Are there any cases you don’t mediate?

Yes. Here’s a partial list:

Airfares that go up after selecting a flight option (caching).
Airline seat comfort issues, including in-flight entertainment systems that don’t work.
Any case involving legal action against a company or customer.
Asking a company to honor an obvious price error.
Car rental damage cases.
Cases submitted on behalf of a third party.
Compensation for delays that resulted in lost vacation or work days.
Getting a refund for a nonrefundable airline ticket or hotel room.
Missing or expired loyalty points.
Recently lost or misplaced luggage.
Visa/passport problems that led to denied boarding.

Apr 19, 2017
Airlines find typos to be highly lucrative, as this example proves, so policies like this won't change until Congress cracks down.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Airlines find typos to be highly lucrative, as this example proves, so policies like this won't change until Congress cracks down.
Alan is exactly right, these kinds of casual errors are money in the bank for the airline. Why on earth anyone would book such an important, complex trip with something named "cheap" is beyond me. Had it been booked directly with the airline, it probably would have been fixed quickly. I am so, so sorry for Zack. I hope you all became aware of how fragile the airline reservation system is and how carefully and often you must monitor that reservation.

Apr 1, 2018
If you arrive at the airport for an international flight with a ticket that does not show the same EXACT SAME name as is on your passport you are not going to be allowed to board.

That may be the rule, but I've boarded a few times with not having the EXACT SAME name as is on my passport. The most recent time was last year when the airline repeated my last name on the ticket. So the ticket showed First name Last name Last name. I called the airline to correct it and they said it wasn't a problem. I was flying from Europe to the US. No problems at all.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
That may be the rule, but I've boarded a few times with not having the EXACT SAME name as is on my passport. The most recent time was last year when the airline repeated my last name on the ticket. So the ticket showed First name Last name Last name. I called the airline to correct it and they said it wasn't a problem. I was flying from Europe to the US. No problems at all.
Your name was still correct. The OP posted about an individual whose name was NOT correct. He was not allowed to board since his passport did not match his ticket.

Apr 1, 2018
Your name was still correct. The OP posted about an individual whose name was NOT correct. He was not allowed to board since his passport did not match his ticket.
No, what was written is that the name on the ticket had to match the passport. Mine clearly did not.

Apr 1, 2018
There is certainly no consistency is the enforcement. The only way to be certain is to have your name match the ID exactly.
I agree. I was just pointing out that it isn't always true that one will not be allowed to board it the ticket name doesn't exactly match the passport name. And I did try to fix it but the airline said not to worry about it.

Sep 27, 2018
Did you by any chance have a mileage account with that particular supplier? We’ve seen an issue here of someone who had a FF account and had not signed up with his name as spelled on his passport. When he purchased tickets, the name as it appeared on his FF account filled in on the ticket screen and he never noticed.
My guess is that the airline had 3 mergers so it may have come from one of those databases. The interesting thing is I have flown the airline dozens of times and it never showed up before, including a business trip and a pleasure trip in the previous month.

Status
Not open for further replies.