• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 31, 2015
Used Chase Sapphire Reserved(High Fee) and Chase Travel Service to book R/T flights for 2 PHL-HAMburg in summer of 2019. Purchased flight insurance for interior Europe segment of trip. But for international trip, since using Chase Sapphire Reserved for purchase, understood that we were covered for travel interruptions/cancellations. While in France on Aug 1, received word that Mother in Law passed away in Pennsylvania. Had to book quick return for spouse, cancelling existing Aer Lingus(AEL) non-refundable ticket. I returned two days later also cancelling existing AEL flight and purchasing BA R/T ticket, as R/T ticket was less expensive than one way. After funeral, filed claim with Chase, for damages(airline tix costs) due to disruptions from death event of wife's mother. Chase refers immediately to eClaims line, Insurance subcontractor, and submitted paperwork(including death cert and tix receipts) in support. eClaims repeatedly asks, over many months, for more and more documentation, which has to be acquired from airlines involved (AEL, Air France (internal HAM-CDG R/T), BA). Given non-refundable class of tix no refunds are due or owing by airlines but have to beg them to state this in writing on letterhead. More months pass. Complaint directly with Chase ineffective. Must deal with eClaims. 2020 begins with repeated request for unobtainable data from airlines that they did not provide nor wil provide refunds or vouchers or other compensation of any sort. More months.

Its clear company strategy is to wait out the customer in the hopes of exhausting their energy and having them fade away like old soldiers. And guess what, they won. I dont' have the gumption to fight any more after 8 months. I terminated my card agreement with Chase Sapphire due to this debacle and despite experts' recommendations will be very careful before buying travel insurance in the future or depending on Credit Card company promises about their wonderful coverages. The concept is great. In practice a nightmare for the insured. Buyer beware.

Oh, one other thing regarding travel insurance. I did purchase travel insurance for the internal HAM-CDG R/t for two when I purchased the tickets via the Air France airline website. When I made claim, the insurance company did not have record of the purchase, though it appeared on my VISA bill and was paid months before. Again, Buyer beware. Ultimately I was credited for the payment of the insurance company premiums by VISA. But regardless, since I used my Chase VISA card, I should have coverage for the loss here as well. By buying the travel insurance and using my VISA, I took a belt and braces approach. But ultimately, my pants fell down.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Your narrative is difficult to follow. What I can decipher is you are trying to put in a claim with a travel insurance provider who is requesting documentation from the airlines. You should try writing our company contacts to request the documents your travel insurance provider needs.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Jan 31, 2015
Your narrative is difficult to follow. What I can decipher is you are trying to put in a claim with a travel insurance provider who is requesting documentation from the airlines. You should try writing our company contacts to request the documents your travel insurance provider needs.
Sorry about the possibly disjointed narrative. I have obtained all possible airline and other supporting documents (original ticket stubs, emergency purchase airline ticket stubs, receipts, death cert, narrative, timeline, evidence of non-refundable nature of original tickets) and submitted to eClaims. They still ask for more. I have explained to them that it is impossible to obtain what they are asking but they continue to insist.

Nov 22, 2019
Sorry for your loss.

I never had troubles with them, there might be something else wrong, especialy you started your claim way before the pandemy, so we can't think that the insurance cie is more strict on claims to save money. Have you ask (if possible) which document exactly is missing?

I guess they need the receipt from AEL showing remaining ticket value after cancellation since they will reimburse only the way back, not the full ticket. Even customer service email should be enough. But original ticket itself is not enough, if your ticket is $1000, maybe it is $900 to go to Europe and $100 back, so they will pay the $100, not $1000, and not $500 (half).

Also, what are you claiming to be reimubursed? You can only claim (others correct me if I am wrong) the prepaid expenses, so your original return flight tickets, not the new ones to go back to US, eventually if you paid other flights in Europe, some car rental fees if you had to drop it at another location and been charged for it.

Here are some exclusions: Trip more than 60 days? Claim filed more than 20 days after the interruption.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
You say "its impossible to obtain what they're asking for". What exactly are they asking for?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Used Chase Sapphire Reserved(High Fee) and Chase Travel Service to book R/T flights for 2 PHL-HAMburg in summer of 2019. Purchased flight insurance for interior Europe segment of trip. But for international trip, since using Chase Sapphire Reserved for purchase, understood that we were covered for travel interruptions/cancellations. While in France on Aug 1, received word that Mother in Law passed away in Pennsylvania. Had to book quick return for spouse, cancelling existing Aer Lingus(AEL) non-refundable ticket. I returned two days later also cancelling existing AEL flight and purchasing BA R/T ticket, as R/T ticket was less expensive than one way. After funeral, filed claim with Chase, for damages(airline tix costs) due to disruptions from death event of wife's mother. Chase refers immediately to eClaims line, Insurance subcontractor, and submitted paperwork(including death cert and tix receipts) in support. eClaims repeatedly asks, over many months, for more and more documentation, which has to be acquired from airlines involved (AEL, Air France (internal HAM-CDG R/T), BA). Given non-refundable class of tix no refunds are due or owing by airlines but have to beg them to state this in writing on letterhead. More months pass. Complaint directly with Chase ineffective. Must deal with eClaims. 2020 begins with repeated request for unobtainable data from airlines that they did not provide nor wil provide refunds or vouchers or other compensation of any sort. More months.

Its clear company strategy is to wait out the customer in the hopes of exhausting their energy and having them fade away like old soldiers. And guess what, they won. I dont' have the gumption to fight any more after 8 months. I terminated my card agreement with Chase Sapphire due to this debacle and despite experts' recommendations will be very careful before buying travel insurance in the future or depending on Credit Card company promises about their wonderful coverages. The concept is great. In practice a nightmare for the insured. Buyer beware.

Oh, one other thing regarding travel insurance. I did purchase travel insurance for the internal HAM-CDG R/t for two when I purchased the tickets via the Air France airline website. When I made claim, the insurance company did not have record of the purchase, though it appeared on my VISA bill and was paid months before. Again, Buyer beware. Ultimately I was credited for the payment of the insurance company premiums by VISA. But regardless, since I used my Chase VISA card, I should have coverage for the loss here as well. By buying the travel insurance and using my VISA, I took a belt and braces approach. But ultimately, my pants fell down.
What an absolutely awful time you've had, I'm so sorry. This seems so straight-forward Everything I've read and experienced shows that CSR customer service has been a standout ever since the card was introduced. I've dealt twice with smallish travel claims with no issues at all. So this is puzzling ... I do understand why you'd want to give up because it seems as tho they're "just being jerks". But we just can't have that!

I'm wondering ... there might be some kind of rule that you have to insure your whole trip by paying for all components with the Reserve. I've never really understood the point, but have heard about it over and over when it comes to trip insurance. I'd get online and review the underlying rules carefully to make sure you qualify for the airfare claim. Your case seems to be cut and dried, so there's something going on that's not apparent.

Jan 31, 2015
Thanks to all commenters for the feedback.

One clarification. CSR subcontracts the administration of its travel insurance to a separate company. I spoke to CSR customer service once or twice and they made some sympathetic statements but did not really get involved. So its eClaims (Chubb, Richmond, VA) that has the duty to administer.

To another point made: My initial claim involved all expenses incurred due to the death. It seems to me the insurance carrier must determine what is covered and what is not, rather than have me, without benefit of hiring a lawyer, made a prior determination. The eClaims/Chubb people never said one or the other charges were not covered. I could accept that, but no determination was ever offered.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Yes, you may want to take a look at what they actually cover. The benefits from these cards are provided at no cost and therefore are usually very limited. For example, in the Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits, the benefits listed for Trip Interruption (Coverage begins on Your Scheduled Departure Date and ends on Your Scheduled Return Date) would apply. In this case, they would have paid any change fees for changing your existing ticket, not new tickets or the value of your old tickets.

For Trip Interruption only:​
Eligible Travel Expenses include Change Fees and costs to​
return a rental vehicle to the closest rental agency or Your​
personal vehicle to Your closest leased or owned residence. The​
benefit also reimburses ground transportation expenses up to​
two hundred fifty ($250.00) dollars to directly transport You for​
necessary medical treatment, to the airport, terminal or station of​
departure, and/or between the arrival airport, terminal or station​
and Your residence. This does not include transportation in vehicles​
operated by a medical facility or specifically designed to transport​
sick or injured individuals.​

Sep 9, 2015
Yes, you may want to take a look at what they actually cover. The benefits from these cards are provided at no cost and therefore are usually very limited. For example, in the Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits, the benefits listed for Trip Interruption (Coverage begins on Your Scheduled Departure Date and ends on Your Scheduled Return Date) would apply. In this case, they would have paid any change fees for changing your existing ticket, not new tickets or the value of your old tickets.

For Trip Interruption only:​
Eligible Travel Expenses include Change Fees and costs to​
return a rental vehicle to the closest rental agency or Your​
personal vehicle to Your closest leased or owned residence. The​
benefit also reimburses ground transportation expenses up to​
two hundred fifty ($250.00) dollars to directly transport You for​
necessary medical treatment, to the airport, terminal or station of​
departure, and/or between the arrival airport, terminal or station​
and Your residence. This does not include transportation in vehicles​
operated by a medical facility or specifically designed to transport​
sick or injured individuals.​
From personal experience I know that if any component of the trip was paid with the card, the insurance should be valid. The whole trip should not have to be purchased with the card. It is unfortunate and a disgrace that this is what happens when one has a situation when the insurance should cover... A company like Chase should not just point to the 3rd party they engaged, in a situation like this. The credit card user has a contract with Chase, not with their selected 3rd party. I had trouble pulling out from the 3rd party any information not specifically stated in the benefits brochure. They would not be willing to address questions. I never had to use the insurance supposedly provided by the card, but was VERY disappointed by how the 3rd party refused to answer questions. Based on that, I would not trust Chase's insurance and would not want to rely on it.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
From personal experience I know that if any component of the trip was paid with the card, the insurance should be valid. The whole trip should not have to be purchased with the card. It is unfortunate and a disgrace that this is what happens when one has a situation when the insurance should cover... A company like Chase should not just point to the 3rd party they engaged, in a situation like this. The credit card user has a contract with Chase, not with their selected 3rd party. I had trouble pulling out from the 3rd party any information not specifically stated in the benefits brochure. They would not be willing to address questions. I never had to use the insurance supposedly provided by the card, but was VERY disappointed by how the 3rd party refused to answer questions. Based on that, I would not trust Chase's insurance and would not want to rely on it.
I am pretty sure that the terms state that you have to pay for all of the trip with the card, but I could be mistaken. I have always operated under that impression so acted accordingly. But, I agree that too many companies are pointing to others as responsible when, for example, the relationship is between Chase and the cardholder not the third party.

Sep 9, 2015
Sorry to contradict you, this is one thing that I pursued. If only one component of the trip was paid with the card, the insurance is valid (at least in theory).
From the Guide to Benefits: " If ANY or all of the Covered Trip was charged to your account", where "Covered Trip means any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when SOME PORTION of the cost for such travel arrangements... has been charged to your account". The 3rd party confirmed my understanding of this when I called them. However, they refused to provide anything in writing to state that if I rent a car in Spain, their CDW coverage is honored there and that it has no deductible. I wanted something in writing because after calling the car rental company, I was told that coverage depends on the rules of the insurance company and in order for them to rent the car, I have to have CDW. The Guide states: "Regulations vary outside of the United States, so we recommend that you check with the Benefits Administrator before you travel to make sure your Auto Rental CDW will apply". The Guide to Benefits is written such that it leaves out important details, probably to ensure that the claims department can use that to deny claims. It is unfortunate that companies can get away with this. Consumers end up paying money for "peace of mind", to get nothing in return when they try to exercise their rights.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Sorry to contradict you, this is one thing that I pursued. If only one component of the trip was paid with the card, the insurance is valid (at least in theory).
From the Guide to Benefits: " If ANY or all of the Covered Trip was charged to your account", where "Covered Trip means any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when SOME PORTION of the cost for such travel arrangements... has been charged to your account". The 3rd party confirmed my understanding of this when I called them. However, they refused to provide anything in writing to state that if I rent a car in Spain, their CDW coverage is honored there and that it has no deductible. I wanted something in writing because after calling the car rental company, I was told that coverage depends on the rules of the insurance company and in order for them to rent the car, I have to have CDW. The Guide states: "Regulations vary outside of the United States, so we recommend that you check with the Benefits Administrator before you travel to make sure your Auto Rental CDW will apply". The Guide to Benefits is written such that it leaves out important details, probably to ensure that the claims department can use that to deny claims. It is unfortunate that companies can get away with this. Consumers end up paying money for "peace of mind", to get nothing in return when they try to exercise their rights.
And that is why I love this site! I was too lazy to look it up and just assumed you had to pay for all travel with the card. Thanks for posting that part from the benefits page.

• Haha
Reactions: Skippy

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
I'm not sure why you quoted my posting, as I don't mention anything about what was paid with the card, but was pointing out what the benefits covered.

Oct 5, 2016
CDW is different from trip insurance. In order for the CDW to apply you must rent the car with your Chase credit card. I just, moments ago, looked up the CDW in the insurance booklet.