Chase demand for $2,200

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 10, 2019
I was pickpocketed in Spain and reported this to Chase on the same day, receiving an acknowledgement. I never made any purchases or withdrawals on the credit card (Chase IHG) there. Two months later, Chase claims that I owe them over $2,200 for charges (bank withdrawals, they say) made to their credit card. I was referred to their "fraud unit" and received an explanation that they could not figure out how the charges were approved without a PIN number, so they say I am liable. I disputed the charges with a certified letter to Chase, which got forwarded to the same "fraud unit", followed by another demanding phone call from the same "fraud unit", repeating the same reason as before--clearly a read-from-a-script text. Since I've never had to deal with anything like this before, I am overwhelmed by this demand. Is there any possible relief or avenue of appeal from this arbitrary decision?

Sep 19, 2015
I was pickpocketed in Spain and reported this to Chase on the same day, receiving an acknowledgement. I never made any purchases or withdrawals on the credit card (Chase IHG) there. Two months later, Chase claims that I owe them over $2,200 for charges (bank withdrawals, they say) made to their credit card. I was referred to their "fraud unit" and received an explanation that they could not figure out how the charges were approved without a PIN number, so they say I am liable. I disputed the charges with a certified letter to Chase, which got forwarded to the same "fraud unit", followed by another demanding phone call from the same "fraud unit", repeating the same reason as before--clearly a read-from-a-script text. Since I've never had to deal with anything like this before, I am overwhelmed by this demand. Is there any possible relief or avenue of appeal from this arbitrary decision?
Ugh those pickpockets are talented. Sorry you have such a nightmare.

First you reported the theft as soon as you knew, ie the next day.

Has Chase told you where these charges were done? Many US credit cards do not even have a PIN number.

There are many ways a crooked person could get cash -- such as going to one of the exchange places and getting a cash advance -- and maybe even using your stolen ID as verification. This is done by swiping the card, no PIN needed.

You need to keep this in writing. Your card should have been deactivated immediately. Has Chase sent you any documentation as to where and when these charges were made?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Please make a list of the facts so we can advise you. It sounds like you're in some kind of whirlpool with Chase and their Fraud Department. If you notified them immediately, you should not have an issue. There must be some misunderstanding somewhere. Tell us what happened and we will make a plan for you to get this straightened out. It will need to be handled in writing, so making a list of the facts is the first step. Include all details, dates, communication methods, everything that will allow us to advise you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here are our company contacts. I would write to the first executive shown and tell them you are getting a run around from the fraud department. If you called the next day and reported the theft Chase should have blocked the card.

Were transactions done after you called Chase?

Last edited by a moderator:

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
US Credit cards do have a PIN for cash withdrawals. Most of them do NOT have a PIN for Chip purchases (they are Chip and Signature not Chip and PIN unlike Europe). Was the PIN for cash withdrawals written down and stored in the same place as the cards?

Sep 19, 2015
US Credit cards do have a PIN for cash withdrawals. Most of them do NOT have a PIN for Chip purchases (they are Chip and Signature not Chip and PIN unlike Europe). Was the PIN for cash withdrawals written down and stored in the same place as the cards?
Barry some credit cards give a PIN for cash advances from an ATM. I have a capital one that had that ability for over a decade. I have never used but I know I can request a PIN. I thought about getting the PIN as a back up in case ATM card is lost or stolen but decided to open a back up account at a different bank — cash advance fees are high.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Barry some credit cards give a PIN for cash advances from an ATM. I have a capital one that had that ability for over a decade. I have never used but I know I can request a PIN. I thought about getting the PIN as a back up in case ATM card is lost or stolen but decided to open a back up account at a different bank — cash advance fees are high.
Yes indeed. Every credit card I have ever had has given me an option for a PIN for cash withdrawals. The only time I have ever used it is on a business trip with a corporate card, where there is no accrued interest and the transaction fees are comparable to the fees for using an ATM for a bank other than my own. Otherwise it's a really bad deal.