Charter Bright House/Spectrum/Waypoint Collecting From Wrong Person

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 23, 2015
Nothing matches except the last name. I've actually gotten some action from Charter today (they have called me several times) and they are starting to get it and think that this is a "Common name" error. I may have finally barked into the right office and am crossing my fingers to have something done about this. The longer I have worked with this I really felt this was not ID theft but just wasn't sure how they linked me to it. The fact that I was with TWC may have given them an avenue but it still wasn't an exact match. At this point I really don't care except I want this off my CR.
Years ago something similar happened to me and our last name is NOT common. My name is Melissa "ComplicatedAsianName" and my credit report had the name Lisa Johnson on it. I kept disputing it over and over. I have NO idea how that name got associated with my report but I could NOT get that name off my report for like 3 YEARS. On the plus side, this was before computers were so ubiquitous and it was harder to do things online so hopefully it will be easier for you to follow up, but man it was so frustrating. Good Luck!!

Sep 18, 2014
I sympathize with the OP and his (her?) frustration with dealing with the "big 3" credit reporting agencies.

When Equifax screwed up a couple of years ago re: not protecting credit info, we immediately locked down our files with them and the other 2 major agencies (actually, there are 4 total reporting agencies, but the 4th one is seldom used by lenders/banks, etc.). At the time, we figured we wouldn't be applying for any more credit cards, didn't plan to move or buy a new vehicle any time soon. (We're both been retired since 2014, own our home and both cars outright, and pay off our credit cards in full each month.)

Well, guess what? Last year I took out a Sam's Club membership with a Groupon deal. Shortly thereafter, I decided to apply for the Sam's Club Mastercard, because it has some benefits (5% back on gas anywhere, not just @ Sam's, among others). Unlocking the credit files -- all of them, because they won't tell you which one they will look at -- was relatively simple; going through the process of being vetted and cross-examined for credit-worthiness by someone who does not live in the US and doesn't know much about the US credit system, other than what their phone scripts tell them to say, was painful and frustrating. I was ultimately denied the card for several reasons … re-applying too soon (after they told me to do so), and a host of other stupid reasons. Ironically, the bank that issues Sam's Club Mastercard (Synchrony Bank) is the same one where we have at least $20K in short-term CDs right now, but that didn't help my case either. (In one instance, I was asked to verify having worked at X employer … a company where my husband had worked, but I never did. When I explained this, I was told something like "Well, you don't have enough places to verify, and so we can't give you credit.")

My husband worked in credit/collections/commercial lending for 40+ years prior to retiring, and tried to speak to them about alternate ways to check my credit; they would not listen to him. (BTW, my Discover bill every month tells me I have an 800+ credit score. They use the same credit bureaus everyone else does.)

I applied again for the Sam's Club Mastercard recently, after temporarily opening my credit files, and this time it was granted ... with a $1,000 credit line. Most credit cards will give you $5,000 for starters, so I'm not sure what the deal is with Synchrony Bank. And I now have a card for Wyndham Properties, because again, it has benefits that could help if we stay at one of their hotel/resort properties. (We stay at LaQuinta a lot when traveling, and LQ was recently acquired by Wyndham.)

My experience with consumer credit granting/reporting is this: If you don't fit a fairly narrow profile -- i.e., you work, and you have car payments and/or mortgage payments that can be tracked -- the credit-granting process is difficult, if not impossible. And it shouldn't be that way. Again, much of the blame lies on the systems (and the people) used to do these jobs.

Jul 2, 2018
My husband had a similar issue. He has a name that is very similar to his father's name. We were applying for a line of credit years ago when the bank rep is reviewing our credit rating and says to us "You have a Sears Credit Card?' We were a bit confused because we had one but hadn't used it in about 10 years, but confirmed because we did happen to have one. Then he mentions that we have a gas card. That was a hard no for us - we have never had one. Then the rep realized that the card had been issued prior to my husband being born. That's the first instance that we knew that the reporting agencies had been putting his father's credit history on my husband's account (the reverse was not true). Luckily both had good credit, but it took months and months to sort out.

Apr 16, 2019
So, I just got a call from Charter (Spectrum) and they have admitted that this is some sort of “common name” error and agrees that this account is not mine. He said this is rare but happens occasionally. They have sent an order to their collection agency to cancel the collection and have them clear my name with the three credit agencies. Said it should take 5-7 business days to come off my reports. That’s great news but I won’t count my chickens just yet. When it’s finally cleared, I’ll breath again. But wow, what an ordeal.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So, I just got a call from Charter (Spectrum) and they have admitted that this is some sort of “common name” error and agrees that this account is not mine. He said this is rare but happens occasionally. They have sent an order to their collection agency to cancel the collection and have them clear my name with the three credit agencies. Said it should take 5-7 business days to come off my reports. That’s great news but I won’t count my chickens just yet. When it’s finally cleared, I’ll breath again. But wow, what an ordeal.
It sounds like our contacts did the trick. Sorry this happened and it took this long to fix.

Apr 16, 2019
So the collection has been deleted from all three agencies. Issue now is a fraud alert was placed on each with an incorrect phone number for contact. Basically useless. Getting it changed or removed is almost harder than getting the collection removed.

Apr 16, 2019
Pretty much. TransUnion actually removed it over the phone. Experian required me to upload proof of identification documents and an explanation of what i want. Said it would take 3-5 days to accomplish. It's been four.. Nothing. Equifax wants proof of identification plus a big letter of explanation of why I want it removed. Sending the documents through the mail exposes me to more identity theft than simply leaving it alone. The whole thing is a bad joke. And it isn't over. Waypoint (the collection agency) is known for recycling collections so it could pop up again. Basically, I have to live with this hanging over my head forever. But if it does come back, we will definitely be in court.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
You have written confirmation of the removal??? Guard it, put it with your important papers, if you have a safe deposit box put it there!

Apr 16, 2019
Oh I have a huge file with documents from this whole process. I have a worksheet with everyone I've talked to. The letter of deletion is the source from Waypoint so I am definitely guarding that

Apr 16, 2019
The issue with the credit agency's customer support is that they are farmed out to foreign countries whose people don't understand the financial ramifications of these scenarios. I'm not trying to disparaged them, I'm just saying they don't understand the effects of these things which gives them no sympathy. For them it's "You're prospering in a free land. Why are you complaining about trivial things?" All the while they are making a paycheck. What's disturbing is that there are no checks and balances. It seems to be very easy to put negative things on someone's credit report without some verification. And to correct things takes an act of God and far too much time and effort. There again, some people don't really care about others and the impacts these situations have. I could have lost the opportunity for a new home. Good thing I didn't or we'd be litigating.