Charges for Correction to Spelling of Name

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 15, 2019
I made a reservation thru Travelistas Cruises & Tours (Sharon Miller 708-966-9828, on or about 1/8/19. A few days later, I discovered I spelled one of the travelers name wrong. I submitted Macie, when it should have been Maci. On 1/11/19, Avanti Destinations, the trip vendor, assessed a $400.00 charge to correct the spelling. Avanti Destinations deemed this $400.00 charge a "Air Cancellation Fee". As the trip is not scheduled until June 20, 2019. tickets have not been issued. A $400 charge to in essence, delete an e from the name seems excessive. Is this type of charge customary? My travel agent did everything she could to have the charge rescinded to no avail. While it was my error, $400.00 seems excessive.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I made a reservation thru Travelistas Cruises & Tours (Sharon Miller 708-966-9828, on or about 1/8/19. A few days later, I discovered I spelled one of the travelers name wrong. I submitted Macie, when it should have been Maci. On 1/11/19, Avanti Destinations, the trip vendor, assessed a $400.00 charge to correct the spelling. Avanti Destinations deemed this $400.00 charge a "Air Cancellation Fee". As the trip is not scheduled until June 20, 2019. tickets have not been issued. A $400 charge to in essence, delete an e from the name seems excessive. Is this type of charge customary? My travel agent did everything she could to have the charge rescinded to no avail. While it was my error, $400.00 seems excessive.
When making any reservation for others, including family members it is imperative to have a copy of that person's ID (passport or license depending upon domestic or international travel) in front of you. Many errors are made in this way, including putting in Uncle Joe's name when it is really Joseph.
Unfortunately, if you do not pick this up within 24 hrs on airline tickets, there is going to be a substantial correction fee, often requiring cancellation of the original ticket and rebooking at a higher fee.

Jul 13, 2016
Just because the flight is not leaving until June does not mean the tickets have not been issued. Pricing is not guaranteed until payment and issuance, so travel agencies usually issue tickets immediately.

Mar 28, 2019
Although it seems like your situation should just be a quick and simple change, each airline has its own policies with respect to name changes or correcting names when they are misspelled on reservations. The policies would be set out in the terms and conditions of carriage for the airfare that you purchased.

Some airlines allow a name change without a fee within a 24-hour period and some will allow a correction to the spelling of a name if it is less than two or three characters. The airline may still charge a fee for this type of change depending on the circumstances. Some airline terms and conditions are strict and state that airline tickets are non-transferable. In this case, you will need to cancel the one ticket off the original group booking and make a new booking in the correct name and you will be subject to the current ticket price.