Charged for car seats - after being assured I would be able to check them for free - American Airlines (Iberia codeshare)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 20, 2019
I flew with American Airlines in November from Casablanca to Cincinnati with my family including two children aged 1 and 3. I confirmed several times via phone ahead of the flight that the children's car seat could be checked through for free. The first leg of the flight was a codeshare with Iberia. When we arrived at the airport, they refused to let us check the car seats for free. I have made claims with both American and Iberia and have contacted the people in each company listed on this site. Neither company has been willing to make it right. I was charged $400 for the car seats (they were the second paid bag for each child). I would like for that amount of money to be reimbursed.

I will just add that the check-in desk in Casablanca had no way of processing credit card payments so they insisted we pay in cash, which was impossible for the amount of money they were demanding. So they finally demanded to take a photo of our credit card with their personal cell phone and email it to the Iberia office in Madrid for processing. I found this to be a very insecure way of handling our personal information. But the issue I want to have addressed is being charged for the car seats. I'm still gobsmacked!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I flew with American Airlines in November from Casablanca to Cincinnati with my family including two children aged 1 and 3. I confirmed several times via phone ahead of the flight that the children's car seat could be checked through for free. The first leg of the flight was a codeshare with Iberia. When we arrived at the airport, they refused to let us check the car seats for free. I have made claims with both American and Iberia and have contacted the people in each company listed on this site. Neither company has been willing to make it right. I was charged $400 for the car seats (they were the second paid bag for each child). I would like for that amount of money to be reimbursed.

I will just add that the check-in desk in Casablanca had no way of processing credit card payments so they insisted we pay in cash, which was impossible for the amount of money they were demanding. So they finally demanded to take a photo of our credit card with their personal cell phone and email it to the Iberia office in Madrid for processing. I found this to be a very insecure way of handling our personal information. But the issue I want to have addressed is being charged for the car seats. I'm still gobsmacked!
Unfortunately, you are dealing with American, the perennial #1 on Elliott.org for the greatest number of consumer complaints, and Iberia, which has an overly large presence on Elliott for its size. Both are known for poor/absent responses to consumer complaints.

You can reach both of these airlines:
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-airlines/
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/iberia-airlines/

Reach out to them in this manner: https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Expect this will take weeks to months to resolve.

Sep 19, 2015
What did your confirmation say about checked baggage allowance?

Was there a misunderstanding about gate checking such as a stroller versus sending something as check in? Problem is there is nothing in writing

Aug 29, 2018
She originated her travel in Casablanca where they could not even process the CC.
This is not unusual in Africa, alas. On a flight from Nairobi to Madagascar, I was told that I had to pay 150 US dollars cash to check a bag. This was for a 6AM flight, and there was no ATM in sight.

I am certain the money just went into the pocket of the person checking bags.

Jun 20, 2019
What exactly did you say in you communication to Iberia customer service and or executives? The policy is very clear:

http://www.iberia-groups.com/SWK1821_JBA_Baggage_Allowance.pdf
Hi Dan, I said basically the same thing as above with a few additional details. In their reply, they said "During the purchase process, users are informed that this is a non-refundable service and therefore we cannot grant your request." It makes no sense. I have since reached out to the executives listed on this site for both Iberia and American and haven't received replies from either.

Jun 20, 2019
What did your confirmation say about checked baggage allowance?

Was there a misunderstanding about gate checking such as a stroller versus sending something as check in? Problem is there is nothing in writing
Hi Christina, the confirmation email just referred to checked luggage without any mention of children's allowances.

Jun 20, 2019
Unfortunately, you are dealing with American, the perennial #1 on Elliott.org for the greatest number of consumer complaints, and Iberia, which has an overly large presence on Elliott for its size. Both are known for poor/absent responses to consumer complaints.

You can reach both of these airlines:
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-airlines/
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/iberia-airlines/

Reach out to them in this manner: https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Expect this will take weeks to months to resolve.
Hello there, I have reached out to both airlines via the contacts above a couple of weeks ago with no reply. I have been working on this since December already. Do you think all hope is lost?

Sep 19, 2015
Drivers what kind of fare did you have?

How was the baggage charge calculated? Was it $200 per seat?

Did you also have a stroller?

Was this a basic fare with zero baggage allowance?

I tried to check the baggage charges online.

Jun 13, 2019
I looked at the baggage allowance on Iberian for children 2-11 and infants. I put in his cities and guessed that they booked the least expensive fare as he said these were the second checked bags per child. (Iberian has one of those fill in the blank calculators to determine baggage allowance.) Here is what it says about children and infants luggage: Discount tickets for minors, i.e., children (aged 2 to 11) or infants (under 2) will have the same allowance as an adult and may also cover a foldable stroller or a car seat. American might automatically include it but Iberian does not appear to do so.
I learned a while back that the baggage policy of the originating carrier is the one in force at the time of travel.

Sep 19, 2015
I looked at the baggage allowance on Iberian for children 2-11 and infants. I put in his cities and guessed that they booked the least expensive fare as he said these were the second checked bags per child. (Iberian has one of those fill in the blank calculators to determine baggage allowance.) Here is what it says about children and infants luggage: Discount tickets for minors, i.e., children (aged 2 to 11) or infants (under 2) will have the same allowance as an adult and may also cover a foldable stroller or a car seat. American might automatically include it but Iberian does not appear to do so.
I learned a while back that the baggage policy of the originating carrier is the one in force at the time of travel.
FQTVLR that is what I tried also. If it was a Basic no luggage fare and they also had a stroller then charging for two checked luggages is what the luggage calculator comes up with.

Also I will point out that Casablanca is not on the list of airports where one can pay for additional baggage at the airport. That may explain the credit card issue.

Feb 11, 2018
This is not unusual in Africa, alas. On a flight from Nairobi to Madagascar, I was told that I had to pay 150 US dollars cash to check a bag. This was for a 6AM flight, and there was no ATM in sight.

I am certain the money just went into the pocket of the person checking bags.
I'm inclined to agree with you. Refusal to accept credit cards is a huge red flag.

Jun 13, 2019
FQTVLR that is what I tried also. If it was a Basic no luggage fare and they also had a stroller then charging for two checked luggages is what the luggage calculator comes up with.

Also I will point out that Casablanca is not on the list of airports where one can pay for additional baggage at the airport. That may explain the credit card issue.
He did note the car seats were the second checked luggage for each child. And Iberia says MAY cover a checked car seat.