Charged for a free night and still awaiting money back and compensation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 25, 2018
My problem starts over a month ago, I stayed at one of their properties and I am a platinum reward memeber and have their credit card which entitles you to one free night a year. Well when I checked in I was asked how the last night was paid and I explained that it was my credit card free night. They asked if I had proof which I showed the email and he said thank you. Well once I got back home a few days later I was charged around $33-$35 and I called and they said it was for the one night. The agent who took the call said it was billed wrong and should be an easy fix and should hear back within 48 hours. Well 3 days later nothing so I called back and was then told the hotel will contact me and they did about 4 hours later and said they are sorry and will be credited within 25-27 days. I asked business or regular they said days due to it being in a foreign currency. Well now it has been over a month and I still haven’t seen the refund and I am now two cycles into my credit card statement. So I’m either paying the interest or paying and waiting for the refund. I did make a third call on this and they said they would have a member deal with it and nothing has happened. I have a case number to show how much I have called as well.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As a service to our readers, we post the names, numbers and email addresses of executives responsible for customer service at major companies.

If you’re having a problem with a company, please consider using our proven strategies for a resolution.

If listed, start by writing to the senior customer service contact (listed under executive contacts). Tell them the issue and give them a week to respond. If they don’t respond or refuse to help, write to the next executive shown. If necessary, repeat weekly going up the chain of executives one at a time.

Do not start by writing to the CEO and do not write to all contacts at once. This could severely limit your ability to resolve your issue.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
So I am confused. I've had the IHG CC as well as Platinum status at IHG years. I've booked lots of free nights without issue. You book it separately, over on the left margin is the link to your annual free room booking. Did you ask the hotel what the $30+ charge was for? What was the rate for the room on that date? Seems to me that you were charged for "something" but not the cost of the room. See if you can find out and please let us know so we can advise you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you by any chance book a Points and Cash night?

IHG® Rewards Club “Points & Cash”

IHG Rewards Club “Points & Cash” is an option for obtaining a Reward Night. You may choose to redeem Points for a Reward Night by using your existing Points for all required Points for the desired Reward Night, or using your existing Points and purchasing additional Points in various increments to total the required Points.
Amounts required for Point purchases are subject to change at any time. You must use a valid, accepted credit card or approved payment method for Points purchases.
Points & Cash Reward Nights may be redeemed on the IHG Rewards Club website, the IHG mobile app, or through the IHG reservation call center.
Upon completion of the Points purchase, you agree that the total U.S. dollar amount will be immediately charged to the valid credit card or approved payment method you specified. The cost for the Points purchased is non-refundable. If the Reward Night is cancelled in accordance with Reward Nights terms and conditions and with the hotel's cancellation policy, the purchased Points will be re-deposited into your IHG Rewards Club account.
Cash components of this award that are viewed in currencies other than U.S. dollars will be adjusted by IHG Rewards Club, as needed, to reflect the U.S. dollar equivalent of the non-U.S. dollar currency at the time of payment. All other Reward Night terms and conditions apply.
Other Rewards (Regional Variations Apply)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
IHG is a British company and a little different. Unlike Hilton, they probably do charge resort fees, parking, all that stuff on a free night. With IHG's Points&Cash, you buy the points at the time of the res, so there's nothing due on the room itself. I've not ever been charged for taxes. $30 is a weird amount, I'm looking forward to hearing what it was for.

Sep 25, 2018
So I am confused. I've had the IHG CC as well as Platinum status at IHG years. I've booked lots of free nights without issue. You book it separately, over on the left margin is the link to your annual free room booking. Did you ask the hotel what the $30+ charge was for? What was the rate for the room on that date? Seems to me that you were charged for "something" but not the cost of the room. See if you can find out and please let us know so we can advise you.
I did contact them directly and they said it was billed wrong however I’m still over a month out waiting on a refund. It wasn’t charged until about a week after my stay. What should’ve happened they said was that they bill chase and not me.

Sep 25, 2018
N
What hotel is it? It’s easy to see if there are resorts fees.

Again- are you sure it wasn’t the option that the points and cash?
It was the chase free night with credit card. I have stayed before and never saw a resort fee nor on the previous stays seen it billed. No points and cash it was the annual free night. It was the intercontinental, in Cali, Colombia.