Charged $230.00 for smoking charges! I don’t smoke!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 15, 2019
I was charged $230 for smoking charges - I do not smoke. I have pictures of how I left my hotel room when I checked out. There was some people smoking off property near by (hotel is in a city area very close to bars) We had the night front desk person come up to my room and one point and say we were being too noisy and we needed to keep it down. We apologized and my friends went back to their own room because we did not mean to be loud. The front desk person Louisa, told me that she smelled smoke and was going to charge us $230.00. I told her that no one is smoking and she is free to come into our room a look around. She refused. I told her that we are right next to bars and Airbnb’s and I’m sure the smoke she is smelling was from the bars or Airbnb. She said ok and “no worries” and walked away. I had a feeling she was going to charge me anyways, that’s why I took photo evidence when I checked out.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
A hotel needs evidence before they slap a big fee on your credit card. Follow VoR's good advice and be persistent ... don't give up! These kinds of bogus charges are big revenue generators for hotels, but they count on people getting tired of arguing with them and letting the charge stand. Find out what the deadline is for filing a dispute with your credit card. Polite, patient and persistent will win the day.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Are you sure no one that was partying in your room smoked in the bathroom? We have another post here where the writers friend did smoke in the bathroom and he was charged.

Otherwise, VoR gave you the information to write to the Corporate offices - they probably need to be the ones to get this stopped. Good job on taking the pictures!

Apr 15, 2019
Are you sure no one that was partying in your room smoked in the bathroom? We have another post here where the writers friend did smoke in the bathroom and he was charged.

Otherwise, VoR gave you the information to write to the Corporate offices - they probably need to be the ones to get this stopped. Good job on taking the pictures!
100% positive no one smoked in bathroom :)

Apr 15, 2019
Give the manager one week, then you move to the Corporate offices.

Post #2 gave you the link to corporate contacts to hotels:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/#hotel

Your first contact is the customer service contacts of the corporate office.

Please read the links in Post 2- it tells you exactly how to do this.
Thank you!!! For reference this is the email I sent the manager:

Good morning Mr. Perry,

I wanted to thank you for you for a beautiful stay this weekend at your hotel this weekend. The gentleman who checked us in was so so kind and had above and beyond customer service skills. I wanted to make sure I acknowledged him first.
The reason I am writing you is to discuss a charge of $230.00 for "Smoking Fees"I received. Unfortunately your night staff member was quite the opposite of the gentleman who checked us in. Her name was Louisa and my sister (who stayed in another room) and I both had (unrelated) issues with Louisa. We had gone to a wedding on Saturday and Louisa came up to my room to say we were being a little noisy and we needed to keep it down. I apologized right away as we did not want to be of any inconvenience to other guests on the property. The two guests (who were also staying at your hotel) immediately left our room and went back to their own rooms. Luisa also made a comment that she smelled smoke. I was caught off guard because we do not smoke at all. I have really bad allergies and make it point to stay only in "Non-smoking" properties. I told her that absolutely no one was smoking in our room and she was more than welcome to come in and look around. I wanted to be completely transparent and show her that there was absolutely no smoking in our room. She apologized and said "No worries" and left. I assumed that was the end of it. We had no issues beyond that point until I noticed this morning I was charged $230.00 for a "Smoking Fee" I kindly ask that this charge is reversed. I do not smoke, nor does my husband. I travel often and have never had this happen to me before. I had such an amazing stay other than this issue. I hope we can resolve this matter quickly.

Regards,
Nicole Porter
Reservation# 994126841

Edited by moderator to remove confirmation number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 15, 2019
Give the manager one week, then you move to the Corporate offices.

Post #2 gave you the link to corporate contacts to hotels:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/#hotel

Your first contact is the customer service contacts of the corporate office.

Please read the links in Post 2- it tells you exactly how to do this.
Do I cc the original person on the email so they can see it has been escalated?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
No. Leave it alone.

Were you by any chance wearing the same clothing you wore at the wedding? I only ask because sometimes I come home from an event where there was smoking and have to get out of my clothes immediately because I smell like smoke even though I didn’t. Keep that in the back of your mind in case Louisa comes back with anything. There were no ashes found so she had no physical proof of smoking.

Apr 15, 2019
I was wearing the same clothes! It was a small wedding and no one was smoking there but we did go to a bar afterwards because the wedding ended early. I do believe there may have been people smoking on the patio at the bar. It was far from me, but this is a great point!

Aug 30, 2015
I was wearing the same clothes! It was a small wedding and no one was smoking there but we did go to a bar afterwards because the wedding ended early. I do believe there may have been people smoking on the patio at the bar. It was far from me, but this is a great point!
If they are like 99% of the hotels I've been to, you could tell them that your clothing picked up smoke from the person smoking in the doorway by the ashtray that the hotel placed there. I only stay in "non smoking" hotels myself but fail to understand how so many of these "smoke free" hotels put ashtrays within two feet of the doorway. And by the swimming pool.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That might be what she smelled if she wasn’t trying to punish you for the noise.

As a non smoker I am very sensitive to the smell and know it can be carried on your clothing if you are in the vicinity of smokers.

The best thing you did was pictures of the room. Did you ask her for proof of ashes?

Apr 15, 2019
I haven’t been able to ask for proof because management has not called me back! I left a message yesterday and emailed the manager but no response yet. I want to call again so bad because I’m so mad, but I keep getting told here to wait 1 week. So I’m trying to be patient :)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The week is when you begin writing to our company contacts.

Use the two links in Post 2 from VoR. When you write to the first contact tell them you have called and written to the Hotel Manager and they have not responded so you are contact the Corporate Offices for assistance.

These hotel employees think you’ll just go away if they don’t call you back. Well you can go above them.

Apr 15, 2019
The week is when you begin writing to our company contacts.

Use the two links in Post 2 from VoR. When you write to the first contact tell them you have called and written to the Hotel Manager and they have not responded so you are contact the Corporate Offices for assistance.

These hotel employees think you’ll just go away if they don’t call you back. Well you can go above them.
Thank you!!!

Jan 6, 2015
Pictures are good, but it's the smell you need to disprove. Better, I think, would be if your friends stopped into your room just before checkout . . .

Sep 20, 2018
I have an issue with Luisa not coming into the room, and also providing no other evidence at all for her assertion.
If it was a non smoking bar and people were only smoking outside and they were inside, then no smoke should have been on clothes. But if you are in a bar where there is smoke, oh yeah, you will stink to high heaven... ughh... but the hotel should take this off, they didnt even say they had to fumigate the room either...