Changing Reservation Dates

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 15, 2018
Hi - recently I made a mistake in booking dates at a Marriott. I booked through expedia. I need to change the dates from one week to the next but no one can help me do this. Marriott says talk to Expedia. Expedia says talk to Marriott. Finally I got a rep at Expedia who thought the request simple and reasonable but she phoned the hotel and they said they couldn't do it. I know that it is non refundable if cancelled but that is not what I want to do. I just want to change the dates. Isee nothing in any rules and regs that forbid me from ding that. Can anyone help?

Last edited:

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Unfortunately you likely have to cancel and rebook the requested dates. If you had booked direct Marriott could handle your request but since you booked through Expedia, they are the ones that generally have to handle the reservation.

Aug 15, 2018
Thanks for your replies. We knew all along that it was non refundable but there is nothing that says non changeable. A rep at expedia was willing to change our dates but had to talk to the hotel who said they would not change our dates. Sorry if three are typos in this but the words I'm typing do not show up on my screen in this forum! It's like typing in the dark!

Feb 21, 2018
Thanks for your replies. We knew all along that it was non refundable but there is nothing that says non changeable. A rep at expedia was willing to change our dates but had to talk to the hotel who said they would not change our dates. Sorry if three are typos in this but the words I'm typing do not show up on my screen in this forum! It's like typing in the dark!
When you book a non-refundable hotel reservation, the reservation is for the specific day(s) you requested.

I went to Expedia and attempted to book a Marriott that had a non-refundable rate. Right under the words "non-refundable", before the reservation is even attempted, are the words "cancellation policy". If you click on that, it spells out clearly the information about changes or cancellations:

"This special discounted rate is non-refundable. If you choose to change or cancel this booking you will not be refunded any of the payment.".

There are refundable rates that allow cancellation and changes. Expedia labels them as such, but they cost more than the non-refundable rates.

Aug 15, 2018
"This special discounted rate is non-refundable. If you choose to change or cancel this booking you will not be refunded any of the payment.". But we do not want to be refunded our payment. We want them to keep our money and change the dates. It doesn't make any sense to me that they wouldn't do that; and an Expedia rep agreed it made perfect sense to change the dates - keep our money and let us spend more by being there and using their spa! Marriott, though would not do it. That part in the contract quoted just doesn't apply here.

Mar 17, 2015
Yes, the language does apply to your situation, it specifically says "if you choose to change or cancel," the reservation you made was non-refundable and the policy spells out that it is non changeable as well.

However, if you did not make the reservation that long ago, what I would suggest is to use the company contacts link at the top of the page and start a writing campaign. Follow the instructions, write to one at a time, waiting a week in between each. Recognize your mistake. Recognize that you are asking for an exception. Be super polite and admit you were wrong. You may end up with a sympathetic customer service rep. Good luck. In the future, I would also not book with Expedia, as had you booked with Marriott, they very well may have let you change the dates. I would also offer to pay any rate fee difference between the weeks when asking for the change.

Feb 21, 2018
"This special discounted rate is non-refundable. If you choose to change or cancel this booking you will not be refunded any of the payment.". But we do not want to be refunded our payment. We want them to keep our money and change the dates. It doesn't make any sense to me that they wouldn't do that; and an Expedia rep agreed it made perfect sense to change the dates - keep our money and let us spend more by being there and using their spa! Marriott, though would not do it. That part in the contract quoted just doesn't apply here.
The terms specifically say "If you choose to CHANGE"...what you want to do is change the original booking. It doesn't matter that you only want to move to new dates. You are asking them to make a CHANGE, something that is not allowed.

When you booked this non-refundable reservation, you in effect bought those very specific nights at that hotel. The hotel agreed to take less money for the reservation in exchange for your agreement to commit to those specific nights.

The way around this is not to book a non-refundable rate. It costs more, but gives you the flexibility to make changes.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Oh, sugarduk, we see this so often, it's so sad. Many travellers don't realize that the major hotel chains are doing everything they can to stop their customers from using an online booking service. These services collect a commission but add no value to the transaction, they actually can make matters worse. They spend all their money on advertising, not customer service. If you are very humble and very sorry that you made the error, taking full responsibility, being very appreciative if they could just do this little favor ... you get the picture. Expedia holds the res, but I'd contact Marriott directly and "artfully beg" them to make an exception and tell them you just didn't realize you couldn't change it. My colleagues may know differently, but this seems logical. And promise me never to use a slick internet booking service again, for anything. I'm so sorry this happened to you and wish you good luck. Please keep us posted.

Dec 19, 2014
Unfortunately, if the rate is non-refundable, it is non-changeable. What is complicating the situation is that it was booked through Expedia.

Here is my suggestion:
Find the contact information for the general manager of the hotel. The easiest way to obtain this is to call the hotel and ask. Sometimes you are able to find the information on tripadvisor.

Write a brief, but polite letter to the hotel's general manager, explaining your situation. Acknowledge that you made an error, and that you realize that the rate is non-refundable and non-changeable. Offer to make up a rate difference. You may find that the general manager will make an exception to the policy. Had you made the reservation direct with Marriott, there is a good chance your request would be granted. With an Expedia reservation, I'm not sure, but this is better than you eating the cost of the reservation.

Again, contact the general manager of the hotel, or possibly a front desk manager (if the hotel is big enough), not Marriott corporate.

In the future, know that it is always advantageous to book direct with the hotel or hotel chain's reservation system. Know that any rate that is non-refundable is also non-changeable. Good luck

Aug 15, 2018
Thank you all so much for your sympathy & advice! I have indeed started a writing campaign & this site is very helpful for email addies & tips. And, yes, humble is the way to go! I have just received an email back from an Expedia exec & will let you all know how it turns out.

PS. “Non changeable” is not actually included in the definition of “non refundable”; I know Expedia would like to rewrite the dictionary to suit their purposes but the current actual meaning of non changeable is not spelled out in their contract; it simply does not legally come under the heading of “non refundable” (my husband is a retired lawyer).

Sorry I can’t thank you all by name but I am still only seeing part of this page – that is it comes and goes! (And to whomever made me promise to deal directly with the hotel from now on, you got it!)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Actually, whey you click on the little information “I” that appears on the pricing where is says “non refundable” it does tell you it’s non changeable:

This special discounted rate is non-refundable. If you choose to change or cancel this booking you will not be refunded any of the payment.

Aug 15, 2018
You have chosen to read that sentence as “non changeable”. It does not say “non changeable”; in fact, it infers that you can make a change. Then it goes on to say that if you do, you won’t get your money back. But as stated, I don’t want my money back. I want them to keep my money (and get more of it when I stay in the hotel) but apply it to dates a week later than the current booking.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The small print says if you choose to change the booking, you will not be refunded for the payment.

That means you can’t change it. We have had multiple cases like this here and we recommend never booking a nonrefundable rate. The small price difference is not worth it if you make a mistake on a date. Had you opted for a regular rate you would have been able to change the date as long as you weren’t already within The cancelation period.

What we suggest is trying to write to our Expedia contacts (since that’s why you booked through) and basically begging for them to contact the hotel and see what they can do. Do not lash out and blame Expedia for this- be humble and explain you made an error and just want to change the date.

We have instructions on our Company Contacts Page on how to write (start with Customer Service and move up the executive chain one by once a week.

We have seen a well written apologetic letter turn no’s into yes’s. So don’t give up - you have nothing to lose by asking.

Let us know how your writing campaign goes.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
You booked a use-it-or-lose-it reservation. Why not simply change your travel dates and use it. Worrying about "fine print" will not change the fact that they will not change your dates. Next time book directly with the hotel--the Marriott website is quite clear about restrictions on cancelation/changing reservations so you can choose the type you wish to book. As other people have noted, a non-cancelable/non-changeable reservation rarely saves enough money to make it worth the risk. Even if you booked the date you had wished, things happen that require changes or cancelation. Once you accept the non-refundable terms you are locked in.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
You have chosen to read that sentence as “non changeable”. It does not say “non changeable”; in fact, it infers that you can make a change. Then it goes on to say that if you do, you won’t get your money back.”

Isn’t the definition of non changeable. Sure you can theoretically change and cancel just no refunds or credits. So why split hairs?

Do you have a particularly good reason for the change or was it just a mistake? If there is something like jury duty or a reason like that I would mention it.

You are asking for a big favor and arguing about it “inferring” is not productive.

Dec 19, 2014
The small print says if you choose to change the booking, you will not be refunded for the payment.
What we suggest is trying to write to our Expedia contacts (since that’s why you booked through) and basically begging for them to contact the hotel and see what they can do. Do not lash out and blame Expedia for this- be humble and explain you made an error and just want to change the date.
Actually, I would recommend a brief, but polite letter to the general manager of the hotel before appealing to Expedia.
As I posted earlier, the fact that the booking was made via Expedia may be an issue, but it may be the simplest solution. The general manager (or front desk manager) has the authority to make these changes.

I never book non-refundable or non-changeable rates, but have had 2 instances in the past where I needed a waiver.
1) Flight was cancelled, and the 1 night stay at the arrival airport hotel was past the cancellation period. A phone call to the hotel, that they offered me a refund. No questions, no hassles
2) Bonehead me booked the wrong date and I doubled down on the bonehead move by not checking the reservation until the night before. The front desk supervisor changed the date when I called.

I have friends that work in hotel management, and have confided that when someone books a non-refundable, non-changeable rate, they are willing to work with the customer. If the customer needs a date change (provided they aren't trying to move the dates to a time period where there is high demand ie I booked a resort hotel by Disney accidentally the week before Christmas and want to move it to the week between Christmas and New Years), they will usually accommodate. A refund is almost always out of the question.

Granted, I always book direct, and have status so I am more likely to get a waiver. However, I gave the same advice to a friend who booked a non-refundable, non-changeable rate that he couldn't use. An e-mail to the general manager got him a credit that could be used for the next calendar year at the same hotel.

Aug 16, 2018
Leisure travelers are not as accustomed to the changes in cancellation and change policies as are business travelers. One should never book on an OTA like Expedia. These reservations may offer lower rates but they are usually non refundable, non changeable, not eligible for loyalty points or their member benefits. These reservations are also the first to be walked and the guests booked under an OTA rate are often booked into the least desirable rooms in the hotel. Book through a travel agent or book direct on the hotel chain website. Same applies for airlines, car rental, etc.