Change flight for medical reasons

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 10, 2015
My family was supposed to fly back from France on Aug 31, but we changed to September 3. I have a doctor able to write a note to try and get either the change fee waived or reduced or maybe other help (voucher). Does anyone know the best language to include in the note?

And no we do not have travel insurance. If the note doesn't work , we will accept the change fee (which is the only cost, the new flight was the same price).

Thank you.

Feb 9, 2016
the only thing you can do is write the letter and be nice and ask for heir help. it never hurts to praise their service employees, etc.

If you want to write the letter and then post it here we will review it and make suggestions.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
SAS is right on ... a well-worded letter has sometimes created miracles and we can help by reviewing yours. Does the credit card you used provide any coverage by chance? You are MOST fortunate to not run into a fare that's sky high for the new flights. Change/cancel fees are the worst, but as long as the airline lobbies are strong, we're stuck with them. They add a tremendous amount to the airlines' bottom line.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you have the medical records to substantiate the medical reason for having to change? If you were putting in a claim for medical insurance a letter without accompanying medical records doesn't always prove a claim. You might have to provide those details.

It never hurts to ask- the worst they can they can say is no and the best someone will help.

Mar 10, 2015
My doctor will write a letter report, we just weren't sure if the airline required certain language or what language would work best. Such as I am unable to fly on my original date, but will be able on the new date due to my back injury. Thanks.

Sep 19, 2015
The doctor should indicate what day they saw you and how, given the results of the in person physical examination, it is the opinion of the doctor that you should not fly that day and give the reasons why with an appropriate medical diagnosis.

Mar 10, 2015
So just to follow up, I finally got my paperwork from the doctor and translated it into English and emailed it out to the first Delta contact, Charisse Evans this morning. I asked for the entire change fee to be refunded (300 x 4), but in the alternative, I would accept vouchers for the amounts, since we'd use Delta again next year.

I got a call back this afternoon (same day) from a Delta associate who advised that Delta would actually refund the entire change fee. I was definitely pleasantly surprised. I was told to expect the refund to my credit card within the next billing cycle.

So there's one success story.

Mar 10, 2015
Yeah, will definitely do it, at least to the extent I can. I'll have to read carefully the clauses as to "pre-existing" conditions, in case my back goes out on me again. Its much better now.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
So just to follow up, I finally got my paperwork from the doctor and translated it into English and emailed it out to the first Delta contact, Charisse Evans this morning. I asked for the entire change fee to be refunded (300 x 4), but in the alternative, I would accept vouchers for the amounts, since we'd use Delta again next year.

I got a call back this afternoon (same day) from a Delta associate who advised that Delta would actually refund the entire change fee. I was definitely pleasantly surprised. I was told to expect the refund to my credit card within the next billing cycle.

So there's one success story.
I am FLOORED that Delta refunded the change fees! So happy for you, Jevia. I hate to jinx anything, but we are on a ROLL with the legacy airlines these days. They're actually starting to behave like businesses who have human beings for customers. Well done, Jevia!

Very happy to hear that your back is better. I was sitting right here in this chair 5 or 6 years ago when my Med cruise left the port without us. I had never had a back issue and haven't had another ... a good PT is a miracle worker. I hope you never have another flare-up.

Mar 10, 2015
I too was very shocked they were willing to refund the entire change fees. I really just expected the vouchers, which we would use, so it would have been a fine result. I do think that using the advise from the people here, keeping the letter short and to the point, no emotion, just facts, a bit of praise for service, request for compensation clear, and indication that I'll be using Delta again, really helped.

My chiro is getting my back better. Hoping that next trip, after longer treatment, will have no problems.