Cello has no passport

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I do not know what I would have done. Maybe experience would tell me to call the airline directly and not use Orbitz. But I gotta ask:

How can people know of do's and do not do's that we have found or read in this site BEFORE they book flights? That's all I got to say.
Obviously not enough or there would be no need for the forums. What I think this shows is that just because there are online travel agencies and everyone thinks its simple to book your own trips, not everyone has the knowledge to actually do it.

This is why real travel agents are not dead and in fact are being used more and more by millennials.

May 24, 2016
Obviously not enough or there would be no need for the forums. What I think this shows is that just because there are online travel agencies and everyone thinks its simple to book your own trips, not everyone has the knowledge to actually do it.

This is why real travel agents are not dead and in fact are being used more and more by millennials.
I agree, and people should use TAs. That is, unless they are really confident is booking things themselves.

The problem is that yes, many are not. Some think they are and they are not, and some just think what the ads tell them--that booking travel can be so easy to just do it yourself.

For me, I try to start with my same theory on buying everything big or important, like travel or a car or a house, etc... Do research and read everything.

Then ask advice and check on anything that may seem off or different.

You cannot believe the sales person. Often times (and this is often the case with companies selling subscriptions to anything) the sales person may overstep their bounds knowingly or unknowingly and you agree to pay for something that does not come out the way you originally thought it would.

With air travel, I rarely if ever use the Expedi's or Orbi's out there. Just better to do everything through the airline or a licensed agent/professional. The "costs" you may incur are always going to be less than if you run into problems and now have to recoup those later.

But people don't know that and don't seem to care. They are lazy and often shrug things off that "take too much time" to think through or do correctly. And what bugs me even more are the people who say things like, "Well I dunno what your issue is, because it always worked just fine for meeeeee" Yeah, sure, for now! Wait til YOU have a problem, bub!

It's amazing how much money I could make ripping off people if I were of such a mindset. To cease on the FACT that so many people get so darn stupid about things could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars!

Now, in the case of this Cello incident I am by no means suggesting the OP was stupid, rather, it is Orbitz in my opinion that is inept in handling things like carrying extra items on the plane with you. It is the people who work at airlines or at the airport/TSA that don't know what it is or how to handle it... that level of ineptitude saddens and scares me. Agains, sometimes, rather than just rolling my eyes and trying to carry on, I wish I were a mastermind criminal who could make a ton of money off of it! Maybe to become one, I should start by working for the airlines lol

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Common thing I have found with many Elliott links: When a person clicks on a link like this one, it brings them to the new page, but they leave the previous one. I know it is possible to make the links such that when you click them, they open a new browser. Is that doable here too? It should be.
If you right-click, you should get a dialogue that asks you if you want to open it in a new tab or a new webpage.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I absolutely agree that the writer most certainly was not stupid at all- this was just a transaction that Orbitz is not capable of handling but I think the same thing would have happened if she bought the ticket incorrectly on the actual airline website.

Even I learned something from this story.

May 24, 2016
If you right-click, you should get a dialogue that asks you if you want to open it in a new tab or a new webpage.
thanks
I have come to learn so many dumb PC tricks that I have forgotten many of the ones I thought I knew lol

But it can also be built into the HTML code when the links are made or set forth into this forum.

May 24, 2016
I absolutely agree that the writer most certainly was not stupid at all- this was just a transaction that Orbitz is not capable of handling but I think the same thing would have happened if she bought the ticket incorrectly on the actual airline website.

Even I learned something from this story.
Yes, likely so.

There needs to be randomly placed big plain white billboards along the all highways and even backroads with blue block lettering that say things like,

WHEN FLYING WITH A CELLO, BOOK WITH A LICENSED TRAVEL AGENT
-Elliott.org

DON'T FORGET TO CHECK YOUR FLIGHT DETAILS THE DAY BEFORE YOU FLY
-Elliott.org

and so forth

lol

May 17, 2016
He wasn't actually trying to pretend it wasn't a cello - it just never occurred to either of us to book the seat any other way.
The whole situation is so absurd! It just goes to show that employees are not supposed to think! But perhaps he should have made two reservations for himself--like a large person who needs extra room.

Nov 3, 2015
How can people know of do's and do not do's that we have found or read in this site BEFORE they book flights? That's all I got to say.
I think that's maybe another spot we can somewhat fill with our FAQs: when to call an airline or real travel agent BEFORE booking a ticket.

Even better, I think it would make a good Chris article for general print circulation.

I, for instance, have been a member of AAA for many, many years, so they've been my go-to for questions before booking, and I've used them to book many flights (well, until I pretty much gave up flying as "way too much hassle.) Even with pretty experienced agents, I know there have been times they've had to research something and get back to me when dealing with airplane or hotel/motel rules or customs and immigration...

May 17, 2016
I think that's maybe another spot we can somewhat fill with our FAQs: when to call an airline or real travel agent BEFORE booking a ticket.

Even better, I think it would make a good Chris article for general print circulation.

I, for instance, have been a member of AAA for many, many years, so they've been my go-to for questions before booking, and I've used them to book many flights (well, until I pretty much gave up flying as "way too much hassle.) Even with pretty experienced agents, I know there have been times they've had to research something and get back to me when dealing with airplane or hotel/motel rules or customs and immigration...
I always respect people who admit to not knowing everything and will research the answer. We should all do that!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

Even we do not know the answer to anything and we sometimes do have to get more information for people. I find it best to just tell someone I don't know the answer but will call you back with the answer. Most agents have a large network of other agents they are friends with they can reach out to or they know where to go to get an answer if they don't have it at their fingertips.

May 12, 2016
Cabin seat baggage is a specialized booking and should be done directly with the airline. I looked into it when transporting a work of art round trip. I called the airline directly. I would never have booked the ticket as Art H. and I would not have booked the seat under the long dead artist's name. In my case it was more advantageous to book business class and use the business closet. The OTAs are not knowledgeable about special circumstances, I am sorry to say. The problem is that the cello was booked with a name. no matter how silly it seems, but the name has to have a passport. This is the same issue if a person needs to book two seats for one passenger. Every name on the manifest has to have proper documents. I would never have booked a seat for the artwork under the dead artist's name; one call to the airline would have prevented this trauma. I do hope the airline will understand the special circumstances and how easy it is to make a mistake like this.
^^ exactly what Christina said. There is no way to book an extra seat for a cello online. The airline must be contacted and a second seat arranged through them so the manifest is correct. Cello's fly in a second seat all the time, it's not at all an unusual request, it just has to be done the right way.

May 24, 2016
I have never taken a large item like a cello with me on the plane. I have done travel with babies and bassinets and I honestly cannot remember how we booked but something tells me we would have called the airline to deal with such things. Common sense. Then again, I have some general travel experience especially with international. one other thing we once did was travel outbound with our then under 2 year old and return after he was 2. So we did definitely call when we booked that ticket to make sure everything worked.

But maybe I knew to call. Maybe we all now know to call. We may know to ask to have the phone-in fee waived because this is something that cannot be done online. What bugs me is that right now, there are Orbitz and other agents out there, and tons of unknowing customers who are booking tickets without knowing these things, and no one is going to tell them.

Why don't the agencies all know this? Seems like there should be bold lettering somewhere:

IF YOU ARE TRAVELING WITH A LARGE ITEM OR THIS OR THAT, YOU HAVE TO CALL, NOT BOOK ONLINE. yada yada.

Not all things are "just easy" to do and shouldn't be always marketed as such. This is the kind of thing that, while less commonly done, should be made as important to remember as not bringing aerosol bottles on a plane, in my opinion.

Oct 5, 2015
When you make a conscious decision to use an OTA, you have decided to actually forgo receiving the expertise and great services from your own country men and women and have chosen to transact with brainless vending machines backed by clueless foreign underpaid and under trained contract employees in some third world country. The rest is glitzy deceptive marketing targeting more unsuspecting victims.

Sep 23, 2016
The answer was to buy an "extra seat" ticket. This is done often by over weight people who
have trouble fitting into today's economy seats. The ticket literally says extra seat so there is no question about passports and he gets to fly next to his cello, with it seat belted into place next to him.

Feb 9, 2016
Common thing I have found with many Elliott links: When a person clicks on a link like this one, it brings them to the new page, but they leave the previous one. I know it is possible to make the links such that when you click them, they open a new browser. Is that doable here too? It should be.
Change your browser settings to "open links in new tab"