Celebrity Cruises - Attempt for COVID refund denied.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 8, 2020
We booked a cruise with Celebrity for Alaska leaving May 22, 2020. We are both "older" (my husband is 74 and me 64) and I have severe asthma. So in early March we contacted our Agent and requested she cancel us because we were VERY fearful about cruising with COVID out there. She said she could only get us a credit. We felt we had no choice. Within a few weeks, Celebrity cancelled it anyway. Now we are told we must rebook for next year by Dec 31, 2020. We are even more afraid to travel and are not sure when we will ever be comfortable again. Our Agent checked again and Celebrity refuses to give us a refund as we cancelled too early (only a few weeks!). I think it is terribly unfair and am at wits end on what to do. We need our money back due to many unexpected family expenditures!

Jul 13, 2020
Unfortunately that is what the rules were in their terms and conditions relating to Covid. It does not matter when the cruse was cancel. If you cancel and 30 minutes later the line cancels you are still only due a voucher.
You can appeal to them to either extend your voucher length or change it to a refund. Though remember that the cruse line is bleeding money and very broke. I have heard of some success doing this , but I have heard a lot more that were unable to change things.
Start at the lowest contact and write them , then if you do not get results wait a week to 10 days and write the next on the list.

Reactions: BittyBoo and VoR61

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I am sorry that the route that you chose to take is limiting your ability to get a refund. As many are learning due to the pandemic, there is no benefit to cancelling sooner than needed (unless you were required to make an additional payment toward the cruise). If you had waited until the cruise line cancelled you would be in a much stronger position to receive a refund. Did your agent advise you of this? The fact that all travel industry companies are receiving very little business (equates to no cash) throughout this year, the chance of you receiving a refund are quite slim as those companies need to refund their customers who ARE due a refund. Unfortunately, you are not. While you and your husband may fall into the group that may be at higher risk of catching covid, most people who cruise fall into the same category. In essence, most of their customers would like a refund as well. I am sorry to be unsympathetic to your situation but you chose the terms of the cancellation at the time of cancellation and have since changed your mind. That is how the cruise line will see it.

If you do not agree with my perspective, you can always try to appeal to someone at Celebrity by asking for an exception to the rules. I would be straightforward and businesslike, accepting responsibility for changing your mind about taking a future cruise and beg for their mercy. Stating that you are "older" (didn't you know? 64 is the new 54!) and that you have many unexpected expenditures will not sway them as they have heard it all before from people who are much older than you and who may be in a dire financial situation. Here is the link to the company contacts at Celebrity:

Write to the execs one at at time, waiting at least two weeks for a reply before moving to the next name on the list. Be patient. This is a very tough time to be running a travel-centric business.

One last thought......would you consider requesting an extension of the deadline? If so, you will have a better chance of getting that than receiving a refund.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am sorry that the route that you chose to take is limiting your ability to get a refund. As many are learning due to the pandemic, there is no benefit to cancelling sooner than needed (unless you were required to make an additional payment toward the cruise). If you had waited until the cruise line cancelled you would be in a much stronger position to receive a refund. Did your agent advise you of this? The fact that all travel industry companies are receiving very little business (equates to no cash) throughout this year, the chance of you receiving a refund are quite slim as those companies need to refund their customers who ARE due a refund. Unfortunately, you are not. While you and your husband may fall into the group that may be at higher risk of catching covid, most people who cruise fall into the same category. In essence, most of their customers would like a refund as well. I am sorry to be unsympathetic to your situation but you chose the terms of the cancellation at the time of cancellation and have since changed your mind. That is how the cruise line will see it.

If you do not agree with my perspective, you can always try to appeal to someone at Celebrity by asking for an exception to the rules. I would be straightforward and businesslike, accepting responsibility for changing your mind about taking a future cruise and beg for their mercy. Stating that you are "older" (didn't you know? 64 is the new 54!) and that you have many unexpected expenditures will not sway them as they have heard it all before from people who are much older than you and who may be in a dire financial situation. Here is the link to the company contacts at Celebrity:

Write to the execs one at at time, waiting at least two weeks for a reply before moving to the next name on the list. Be patient. This is a very tough time to be running a travel-centric business.

One last thought......would you consider requesting an extension of the deadline? If so, you will have a better chance of getting that than receiving a refund.
Your agent should have explained the situation when you originally called to cancel and advised you to wait for Celebrity to cancel the cruise. Patina's reading my mind. Have your agent get the FCC (future cruise credit) extended so you don't need to book until December 2021. Failing that, is it possible to book a cruise for 2021 before the 2020 deadline, then switch the cruise to a date in 2022 if you need to? I agree with my other colleagues, a refund is a non-starter. Travel providers' first priority is keeping the company alive without any revenue. Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

Aug 29, 2015
I’m a frequent Celebrity cruiser.
The issue you will run into is that even if they extend your credit to the same as the new ones, you’ll need to have COMPLETED your cruise by May 2022, and before the Alaska season begins.

I recommend you book a cruise for summer 2021 to Alaska, so that your FCC is held. If they end up cancelling the cruise, they will return your FCC and extend the deadline. If you otherwise decide you cannot go, you can likely move your cruise to a summer 2022 cruise for a small fee.