Cebu Pacific Air foot dragging my refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 5, 2017
Husband & I are scheduled to fly RT from Manila to Narita, Japan on July 11-19, 2019. Unfortunately husband had gotten ill & had to seek medical attention a month before scheduled trip. I sent an e-mail to Cebu Pacific Air requesting for cancellation & refund for our 2 paid plane tickets because the physician (MD) advised us not to travel by plane due to recent heart problems. Cebu P Air had asked for the medical certificate so I sent it. The medical certificate states that 'He is advise not to travel by plane due to recent heart problem'. Next, they requested for the PRC license of the MD so I went back to her (for the 2nd time) for this & sent it to them...and then in their following email they say 'medical certificate do not cover the travel dates...had asked for a 'revised certificate which will indicate until when the passenger is unfit to travel'. So I went back to the MD (this time for the 3rd time) and she added the phrase...starting today until further notice.... to the medical certificate she had issued on 6/25/2019 to satisfy the requirements. But no Cebu Pacific Air wasn't satisfied with that. They said that since the exam date was June 7, 2019, they need an updated med certificate stating that the passenger is not fit to travel on his travel date. True but the medical certificate was issued on 6/25/2019. I am tired of going back & forth to the MD to ask for what Cebu Pacific wants & am embarrassed to see the MD for so many requests that they could have specified in the first place. The MD is very busy and I have to fall in line to get to see her every time (not to mention the time & money spent/wasted in doing so). I feel that they are giving us the foot dragging at Cebu Pacific Air, can somebody @elliott.org help expedite our refund request? Thank you.

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you purchase refundable tickets? You usually aren’t due a refund if you had non refundable tickets . This is what travel insurance covers. If you didn’t have travel insurance, check the credit card you used to buy the tickets to see if they have any type of coverage for medical issues.

We have this thread about refunds for nonrefundable tickets

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/refunds-for-non-refundable-tickets.3304/

The other thing you can do is use this request form to see if we can find company contacts for this airline to try to escalate this and ask them to review the documentation you have sent.

It’s unusual for an airline to even offer a refund due medical issues without insurance so you’ll have to be patient. See if our researcher can find contacts so you can escalate this.

https://www.elliott.org/research/

Good luck.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Nicia The challenge is that your fare only allows for a refund when all the medical certificate requirements are met. Trying to speed them up will probably get you a "no" because you haven't checked all of their boxes. Making the decision over a month in advance has probably caused an issue since it reads like the intent is last minute medical issues not chronic medical issues.

Did you happen to purchase travel insurance or have it through the credit card you used?

FYI for everyone else... Here's the Contract of Carriage with the unusual clause allowing refunds for medical reasons https://www.cebupacificair.com/en-u...ific-general-terms-and-conditions-of-carriage

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
What is the fare class that you booked? Most online fares are non-refundable. Looking at the Cebu Air website (US version), these fare rules appear:

The following applies to Promo Fares
Cancellation/ Rerouting - Not allowed.
Rebooking - Allowed but subject to applicable fees and penalties.
No Show - Fares and all other fees are forfeited or considered flown.

If you have a Promo or other non-refundable fare, you will need to meet all of their requirements to receive an exception to the fare class you booked.

Sep 19, 2015
Husband & I are scheduled to fly RT from Manila to Narita, Japan on July 11-19, 2019. Unfortunately husband had gotten ill & had to seek medical attention a month before scheduled trip. I sent an e-mail to Cebu Pacific Air requesting for cancellation & refund for our 2 paid plane tickets because the physician (MD) advised us not to travel by plane due to recent heart problems. Cebu P Air had asked for the medical certificate so I sent it. The medical certificate states that 'He is advise not to travel by plane due to recent heart problem'. Next, they requested for the PRC license of the MD so I went back to her (for the 2nd time) for this & sent it to them...and then in their following email they say 'medical certificate do not cover the travel dates...had asked for a 'revised certificate which will indicate until when the passenger is unfit to travel'. So I went back to the MD (this time for the 3rd time) and she added the phrase...starting today until further notice.... to the medical certificate she had issued on 6/25/2019 to satisfy the requirements. But no Cebu Pacific Air wasn't satisfied with that. They said that since the exam date was June 7, 2019, they need an updated med certificate stating that the passenger is not fit to travel on his travel date. True but the medical certificate was issued on 6/25/2019. I am tired of going back & forth to the MD to ask for what Cebu Pacific wants & am embarrassed to see the MD for so many requests that they could have specified in the first place. The MD is very busy and I have to fall in line to get to see her every time (not to mention the time & money spent/wasted in doing so). I feel that they are giving us the foot dragging at Cebu Pacific Air, can somebody @elliott.org help expedite our refund request? Thank you.
It is sort of normal to write that the dates of the limitations on travel or if it is a permanent issue -- and asking for a doctors license number is not so strange, to make sure it is a real doctor and not a certificate bought over the internet. If you want the courtesy refund then you have to provide the information required. There is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This information would have needed to be provided to an insurance company if you had insurance. It would have been more convenient if they had told you everything they need before but if you have it all now it could take up to a month to receive a decision.

Apr 5, 2017
We may have bought non- refundable tickets but I don't see any notation of that in the ticket ieinerary/receipt I have with me now.
Will try to check with the credit card if cover for medical issues. And find contacts for this airline, thank you.

Apr 5, 2017
@Nicia The challenge is that your fare only allows for a refund when all the medical certificate requirements are met. Trying to speed them up will probably get you a "no" because you haven't checked all of their boxes. Making the decision over a month in advance has probably caused an issue since it reads like the intent is last minute medical issues not chronic medical issues.

Did you happen to purchase travel insurance or have it through the credit card you used?

FYI for everyone else... Here's the Contract of Carriage with the unusual clause allowing refunds for medical reasons https://www.cebupacificair.com/en-u...ific-general-terms-and-conditions-of-carriage
@johnbaker. Noted & thank you for your feedback. didn't get travel insurance but will check with credit card if there is some kind of coverage.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Best to check to see what the refund terms are on the tix you purchased. Often airlines (and insurance companies) will ask one question at a time, hoping you go away. Your tix may not be refundable, that is the first thing to check.