Cautionary Consequences of Ignoring Elliott Best Practices

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 19, 2015
If I've read it once, I've read it a dozen times or more. Avoid third-party travel sites.

Recovering from Nevis co-owner laughingly admitted was worst room in resort. Why? Booking.com. Chain-link mattress that was replaced. But unable to repair wet bathroom floor or fridge that ran continually due to low refrigerant. (Needed for meds). (Eventually upgrade to palatial quarters.)

Next to San Juan where Expedia-level $140 room meant no drawers or shelves, use open suitcase. Full vue frosted glass door flooded bed with strong illumination from cluster of security lights outside. (Not qualifed for upgrade. Nice clerk offered to tape garbage bags over door window.)

If I ever travel again, doubtful at this point, will book direct and limit stays to avoid imprisonment.

Sep 19, 2015
Danchurch I have heard from hotel that the online booking engines take a commission of anywhere from 20 to 30 percent. Some small hotels, particularly overseas, do not want to have a website to book direct so they rely on the online booking engines. For small places overseas I will email to see if I can book directly with them.

Tape garbage bags on the windows .... well that was inventive....

Jan 6, 2015
Certainly, some hotels are not "friendly" toward booking sites. But some travlers use them to their satisfaction, provided they have no issues and/or they fully understand the risks they are taking for the benefits they derive. As played out in this forum over and over however, some do not and then need help to obtain a satisfactory resolution ...

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" -- Benjamin Franklin

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It’s well known in the travel industry that often the worst rooms are given to those who book through OTAs. If a hotel is oversold, the people who are canceled first are often the ones with the cheapest rooms- usually through an OTA.

However- you probably would have had a better experience by spending more if you could afford it. $300 a night in PR is the average rate for a 4 star hotel in San Juan.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Dan, you have made my day. This FD clerk will be a general manager in 3 years. For my next ten trips, if I encounter an issue at a hotel, I will start to laugh about 'taping garbage bags' over the windows. Mental images are hilarious ... would the FD clerk pop in at the begining of his shift and remove said garbage bags, then replace them while you're at dinner? Wonderful story!

Seriously, I have used an online booking agency occasionally, say for small European hotels, but as Christina notes, these days it's not difficult to contact the hotel directly. Thanks for the great post!