Carter's refund taking too long?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 28, 2017
New Jersey
Hello, Monday morning at 10am I returned about $106 of merchandise and chose to have the receipt emailed to me. It is now Tuesday 3:30pm and I have not received the receipt, nor has the refund appeared in my card. I know it may take several days, but usually, the refund appears under pending charges almost immediately. Should I be concerned or do I need to give this more time?

Apr 28, 2017
New Jersey
Just to close this up, I went back and when they went to process the return again they encountered an error. They were eventually able to resolve it and issue a refund, luckily they remembered me from the previous day.
I was also right to trust my instincts, it should not take so long to send a receipt. Had I waited 7 days to start a chargeback process, it may have been more difficult to prove.
And yeah, get a physical receipt, at least for returns.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Just to close this up, I went back and when they went to process the return again they encountered an error. They were eventually able to resolve it and issue a refund, luckily they remembered me from the previous day.
I was also right to trust my instincts, it should not take so long to send a receipt. Had I waited 7 days to start a chargeback process, it may have been more difficult to prove.
And yeah, get a physical receipt, at least for returns.
Yup, I've given up on the "emailed receipt". No thanks, I'll just take it with me. You leave yourself at the mercy of some clerk who may or may not get that email out. It's just not worth it. From what I see on these forums, the money comes back to the customer VERY slowly, so having evidence of the transaction is really important.

Sep 19, 2015
Janxo some stores give an email and physical receipt, I am not sure I would just trust an email receipt. I am glad that you got this figured out, but this should be a warning to all of us to not just accept an email receipt when returning something in person.