Carrier furnace

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 20, 2019
Had to replace a part which was covered under warranty on a 7 year old Carrier96 furnace but it cost $518 in labor to install this warrantied part. Any ideas on getting reimbursed for this labor cost? I don’t think a 7 year old furnace should have an inducer motor go bad and I have to pay the labor costs.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Had to replace a part which was covered under warranty on a 7 year old Carrier96 furnace but it cost $518 in labor to install this warrantied part. Any ideas on getting reimbursed for this labor cost? I don’t think a 7 year old furnace should have an inducer motor go bad and I have to pay the labor costs.
You need to look at the specific warranty provisions. It will clearly spell out whether it covers parts only, or parts and labor. It would be rare to have parts and labor coverage beyond 5 (or even 1-2) years unless you purchased an extended warranty. Extended warranties can go out to 7-10 years but are expensive and are not usually a good buy.

Moving parts fail and unless there is evidence that this is a premature motor failure common to this specific type unit, 7 years is well within the range of expected motor failures.

Apr 8, 2019
Unfortunately many people do not read the warranty (or in most cases limited warranty) prior to purchasing a major appliance. In this case, Carrier provides a limited warranty, which only covers parts for the original purchaser. The limited warranty specifically excludes labor to diagnose the problem or labor to remove and replace any defective parts.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I've always read the warranty that comes with a major purchase and laughed. Sure, sure the part is free, but the labor will bankrupt you. Seems so silly. But I've never had a total meltdown of something either ... that's really what the warranty is for. I would expect to spend some money after 7 years.