Carnival Promotion Not Honored

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 9, 2018
Carnival offers a $200 credit for applying for the Barclays Master card and using it to book a cruise... My BFF and I did so and were refused this promotional credit. We opened cases to no avail...I have written to the ceo as well as other upper officers still waiting for responses, so far just automated... Now requesting Elliot advocacy for help
Is it not criminal to falsely advertise a promotion then fail to honor it...and what would you do to get this promised credit. I saved a screenshot when we booked this cruise as well JUST IN Case as I already have trust issues with promises. Suggestions please.

Attachments

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I note on the screenshot that the $200 is a "statement credit" (meaning it goes on the Barclay card account ... not a discount directly from Carnival) and that you are "paying total" of $1243.04, not the discounted price of $1043.04.

To whom are you writing .... Carnival or Barclay's?

Additionally, there must be fine print somewhere with the precise details of this promotion. It's probably in the LEARN MORE link shown. Can you share that information with us? It would definitely help ...

Please let us know so we can offer appropriate advice.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As Carol said- did you check your Credit card statement for a $200 credit?

Have you sailed yet? Sometimes the credit isn’t applied until after you sail- they aren’t going to give you $200 and then you cancel the cruise and keep the money.

What did they tell you in your correspondance? They don’t usually say no without an explanation. What did they tell you when you wrote?

As Carol said, there is small print in all of these offers. We need to see that.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Were you approved for the World Master Card?

Here is the small print- not everyone is eligible for this particular card, (income and credit criteria are in place) you must make a purchase, you must not have had an account with them before.

You can click on the terms and conditions and read more details.

It is not criminal to not honor the offer and especially if you don’t qualify for it.

1 Offer subject to credit approval. Benefits will vary depending upon the card for which you are approved. Not everyone will qualify for the World Mastercard. If at the time of your application you do not meet the credit or income criteria for this offer, we may not be able to open an account for you or you may receive a Platinum Card. See Terms and Conditions for information about the account terms and benefits that will apply if you are not approved for a World Mastercard. This offer is available to new Cardmembers only. For information about the rates, fees, other costs, and the reward program rules (including point accrual rate, bonus point awards, etc.) and benefits associated with the use of this credit card program please see the Terms and Conditions.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program. In addition, you may not be eligible for this offer if, at any time during our relationship with you, we have cause, as determined by us in our sole discretion, to suspect that the account is being obtained or will be used for abusive or gaming activity (such as, but not limited to, obtaining or using the account to maximize rewards earned in a manner that is not consistent with typical consumer activity and/or multiple credit card account applications/openings).
2 Please review the Rewards Summary for important information about the program benefits and features listed above and the Terms and Conditions for full details about the reward benefits (such as how points are earned), interest rates and account fees and terms for this particular offer before applying.

Jan 24, 2019
The same thing happened to me at literally the same time frame, December 10th. I have the same screenshot of the promotion/advertisement too and I’ve talked to 5 different representatives and they keep saying this promotion was in October-November but they’ll try to honor it and open a case number on it and “just wait for 2 weeks and the credit should be there” , “okay now just make your first payment and it should be there” and nothing. My last interaction was with a manager and I argued back and forth with him just saying there’s nothing they could do. I don’t know what to do now. Have you heard anything new recently?

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
The same thing happened to me at literally the same time frame, December 10th. I have the same screenshot of the promotion/advertisement too and I’ve talked to 5 different representatives and they keep saying this promotion was in October-November but they’ll try to honor it and open a case number on it and “just wait for 2 weeks and the credit should be there” , “okay now just make your first payment and it should be there” and nothing. My last interaction was with a manager and I argued back and forth with him just saying there’s nothing they could do. I don’t know what to do now. Have you heard anything new recently?
So you did apply for the Mastercard at the time you paid for the cruise, was approved and they charged the cruise to the card, but you never received the credit?

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Also, I see a current offer on this and it does state:

A $200 statement credit will be awarded at the close of the first billing statement after you make your first purchase or balance transfer.​
This means it would not show up until at least your second billing statement. If you open the account on 10 Dec, you wouldn't have received the second statement as of yet.

Nov 7, 2019
I am experiencing the exact same problem. I have excellent credit so it is not due to a poor credit score. To me, this is nothing but a total scam by Carnival and Barclays to get you to sign up for a credit card. I can tell you that Southwest Airlines offered the same thing and I signed up for their card and immediately received the credit on my first invoice. So this is nothing but a total scam on on behalf of Carnival and Barclays. I will closing be closing this card within the next few months if I don't get my credit.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am experiencing the exact same problem. I have excellent credit so it is not due to a poor credit score. To me, this is nothing but a total scam by Carnival and Barclays to get you to sign up for a credit card. I can tell you that Southwest Airlines offered the same thing and I signed up for their card and immediately received the credit on my first invoice. So this is nothing but a total scam on on behalf of Carnival and Barclays. I will closing be closing this card within the next few months if I don't get my credit.
Did you wait until the next statement date?
Is this the first card you have had? Did you meet all the eligibility requirements?
From above:

A $200 statement credit will be awarded at the close of the first billing statement after you make your first purchase or balance transfer.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Carnival has no say in Approving Credit Cards with Barclays Bank. It may be Branded Carnival but the approval criteria is strictly Barclays Bank. No scam, they should send you a letter detailing why you were declined. They look at credit scores and how many credit cards / credit you have applied for lately.

Dec 13, 2018
From my understanding, opening and closing credit cards will take a negative hit on your credit score