Carnival Cruise -Carnival Splendor Refund Request Denied

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2019
Company you have a question or comment about: Carnival Cruise Line

I am requesting a refund for 3 days of our cruise plus tips due to the following:
When my husband went through the Security check point in the Cruise Terminal he left his keys in his pocket. After going through the scanners he was instructed to remove his keys and hand them to the agent. Which he did. The rescanned him and we boarded the ship. We were pushed through abruptly. We are both disabled on canes and literally almost tripped over each other. Upon arrival in our cabin 6384, Carnival Splendor, Booking Number 3CZR17 on 10/13/18 we realized our keys were at the terminal. We used the information card in our room to contact Guest Services. We were informed that 3,700 guests were boarding and they would get to it when they could. I stated the urgency as my husband had medication in a container on his keyring. I then spoke to a manager who assured me they would retrieve them and to call back in a few hours to find out where to pick them up. I called back and was informed late in the day that the keys were retrieved and available at the Guest Service desk to request an agent to get them from the safe. We went down as instructed and no one could find them. The final response was maybe they were still at the terminal. My husband and I had inquired about us leaving the ship to retrieve them however we were assured the cruise line Guest Services would handle this for us. We spent 3 days going down throughout the day to resolve this. We felt invalidated,anxiety stricken and frustrated. Upon arrival in our room we discovered the refrigerator in our room had no shelves and contacted the number provided on the card in our room for Cruise Line support and assistance. There were 3 service calls and maintenance men out the first day with no resolution. Finally on the third day we had shelves. My husband is a Diabetic we had informed the cruise line in advance of this. It is necessary to keep food and medicine close by to assist him. The waterslide/pool area was closed and under demolition not even being repaired. There were workers using tools to remove the pool. The daily Cruise Line Itinerary made no mention of closure in fact stated the hours it was available. Nothing on line indicated the closure. We were unable to attend the Comedy Club no available seats on our 2 week cruise. Towards the end of our my husband and I decided to figure out why...we observed that people were attending consecutive performances and staying preventing other guests from attending. There were measures that could have been utilized such as having everyone exit after each performance. The only act we were able to attend was the Magic Act which was the equal to a childs toy game of rope tricks. Not professional to say the least! The performed was 30 minutes late and the cruise line staff kept making announcements from the stage. Upon his arrival his speech was slurred as if he had been drinking. Then the caveat was when he requested two Mentally Challenged women to participate in the act. As I looked around the audience to look away due to my being uncomfortable I noticed alot of the audience was uncomfortable with the performance. Finally in closing my husband is a Vegetarian we notified the cruise line prior to our cruise and at the Golden Pearl for our assigned dining experience. We had so much push back when he ordered a meal, there were multiple errors of bringing his food after everyone else at the table had their meals or had began eating. The selections were extremely limited with only 1 dish rotating. My husband was a Director of Operations of a large Restaurant chain and understands the complexity of how restaurants respond to their customers. We had condiments removed from our table to give to other guests.

What's your desired resolution? A refund of 3 days of our undesired "Cruise Experience" If we had our keys we would have opted to leave as this was a sign of the unfortunate experience we received. I contacted the Executive Office to request a refund and have our concerns addressed. We were offered $100 credit on a future cruise and none I repeat none of our concerns were addressed in any way, shape or form. We feel they violated their responsibility and we did not receive the enjoyable cruise experience as promised. Violating their contract with us. The refund for the first 3 days of our cruise due to our keys being lost, the refrigerator problem and our concerns as listed above. Also we are requesting our tips for these days. I purchased a watch for my husband which the signage on the ship stated lowest price guaranteed. They would price match. Was $150 over what I found online. This was an Anniversay gift and we were celebrating our Wedding Anniversary, overall really disappointed with Carnival Cruise line and the true measure of invalidating their passengers.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 1650

Date of transaction/travel date: 10/13/2018

By submitting this form, I authorize representatives of this site and its affiliates to disclose information I have provided to a third party. I understand this authorization also applies to past and future correspondence with representatives of this site and its affiliates. The information may be used in a news story. I release and hold harmless this site and its affiliates from any liability and/or claims in connection with the disclosure of the information.

Referred by: Online search.

Case number/reservation number: 3CZR17,Cabin 6384Carnival Splendor

Case notes:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you ever cruised before? Were you arriving at the shows at least a half hour before the show started? Usually if you arrive as soon as the doors open you don’t have a problem getting in.

On a cruise if you are vegan there is usually only one vegan meal on the menu, not multiple choices.

As far as the keys left- that was your error not the cruise lines.

I see nothing that would lead Carnival to refund three days of your cruise. You sailed and used your cabin, ate the food and I assume you did excursions. Why do you feel you are owed anything?

We have company contacts on top of our pages. You can use them to write to Carnival.

Feb 3, 2019
Apparently mismanagement of the staff at Carnival is the passengers responsibility. Yes we followed the instructions provided to attend the Comedy Club even asking the staff to verify. I purchased a Ukeleile for my husband to learn to play it. We attended the first class and told to return the next day by the instructor. Upon returning we were informed that the class was full and to try back the third day we were informed it was a continuous class and to hang around and at the end of class we could have a copy of the music. Apparently even the pool and water slide being demolished and not disclosed in advance or during the cruise is not even a consideration. All in all to pay $6,000.00 and be responsible for the lack of responsible conduct and then be informed there is no basis for Carnival to not consider our experience as not being an “relaxing cruise vacation” brings into focus “Buyer Beware” The verbiage is conflicting as the inference is you as a passenger are responsible as if you were employed by Carnival this conflicts with the terms passenger and/or guest. The keys were retained by the agent and we were pushed through even when going through security at courthouses the security detail responds to people with personal belongings. The “norm” of traveling once or many times becomes moot unless there is no need for staff on this ship. The purpose of Guest Services is what it implies. Staff that work for Carnival are paid to assist passengers and not invalidate, ignore or disregard them. Having an fridge that is not useable as an amenity paid for as part of our cabin with balcony becomes our responsibility? ADA considerations completely overlooked. My husband had a known health problem to the cruise line who mismanaged the event.

Feb 3, 2019
Also we did not go on Excursions. What bearing that has on all of this remains as unanswered. Also the tone of your reply of eating, etc. while on the ship was demeaning...we had no choice in the matter or we would have disembarked the ship had our keys been returned to us the day we arrived on the ship! The unorganized chaos we experienced by the staff caused unnecessary anxiety.

Sep 19, 2015
I am not a cruise person.

The key issue was not the fault of the cruise line. The walking through the scanner with the keys in the pocket and then forgetting them is the fault of the passenger.

So the keys were returned?

Many small fridges do not have shelves. A relative (now deceased) was a diabetic and a small fridge was in the bedroom for medication and juice. We just stacked things.

When one has a different diet — such as being a vegetarian— there will often be limited options. I know as I have a restricted diet.

How was the 3 day refund calculated? The room was used for those days, food eaten, etc.

Jul 13, 2016
The keys were totally you fault. Also, not having enough medication (that was not on your key ring)

Was the fridge inoperable without the shelves? This sounds like a pain, but if it worked fine, and just did not have the shelves, I can see how it might take a few days to be corrected. Maintenance personnel have a lot to handle and if this was deemed not a priority, then it would take 2-3 days until they got around to you.

Re: the pool, did the ship have other pools available?
Re: the comedy club, were advance reservations available (like on the large ships of Royal Caribbean)? Even on smaller ships, it is best to arrive 30 minutes prior or when the doors open.

Did you book this Carnival cruise yourselves, or through a travel agent? If you booked it yourselves, then it was up to you to understand how 3,700 people can cruise together, and how Carnival worked. Carnival is a budget cruise line and apparently that shows in service and entertainment. If, however, you went through a real travel agent (not on online one), then that agent let you down. They should have asked questions to find the best fit among the 30 plus cruise lines. You would certainly be better on a smaller ship--maybe Azamara, or Oceania.

Feb 3, 2019
I am not a cruise person.

The key issue was not the fault of the cruise line. The walking through the scanner with the keys in the pocket and then forgetting them is the fault of the passenger.

So the keys were returned?

Many small fridges do not have shelves. A relative (now deceased) was a diabetic and a small fridge was in the bedroom for medication and juice. We just stacked things.

When one has a different diet — such as being a vegetarian— there will often be limited options. I know as I have a restricted diet.

How was the 3 day refund calculated? The room was used for those days, food eaten, etc.
Not being a cruise person indicates not being aware of the process of embarking on the ship and the chaos of 3,700 passengers pushing in line to board. It is a far cry from boarding an airplane. Next we tried stacking items in the fridge however as the ship sailed it pitched back and forth to the point I put the stool in the room in front of the door to the fridge...we still had problems keeping it closed. Returning to the keys. When going through scanners at courthouses and other bldgs even hospitals have security check points. Attention is given as personal items are scanned...The number of people and the way they are processed to embark needs improvement especially to be ADA compliant.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Apparently mismanagement of the staff at Carnival is the passengers responsibility. Yes we followed the instructions provided to attend the Comedy Club even asking the staff to verify. I purchased a Ukeleile for my husband to learn to play it. We attended the first class and told to return the next day by the instructor. Upon returning we were informed that the class was full and to try back the third day we were informed it was a continuous class and to hang around and at the end of class we could have a copy of the music. Apparently even the pool and water slide being demolished and not disclosed in advance or during the cruise is not even a consideration. All in all to pay $6,000.00 and be responsible for the lack of responsible conduct and then be informed there is no basis for Carnival to not consider our experience as not being an “relaxing cruise vacation” brings into focus “Buyer Beware” The verbiage is conflicting as the inference is you as a passenger are responsible as if you were employed by Carnival this conflicts with the terms passenger and/or guest. The keys were retained by the agent and we were pushed through even when going through security at courthouses the security detail responds to people with personal belongings. The “norm” of traveling once or many times becomes moot unless there is no need for staff on this ship. The purpose of Guest Services is what it implies. Staff that work for Carnival are paid to assist passengers and not invalidate, ignore or disregard them. Having an fridge that is not useable as an amenity paid for as part of our cabin with balcony becomes our responsibility? ADA considerations completely overlooked. My husband had a known health problem to the cruise line who mismanaged the event.
This is a little different than what you posted. Again- were you at the comedy club a half hour before the class started to ensure you got a seat? Did they actually sell seats for this class? Did you ask for a refund for the instrument due to not being able to get into the class while in the ship?

Some Carnival ships don’t even have refrigerators in the cabin. When you booked did you fill out the form the cruise line has for special needs stating your husband was diabetic and needed a refrigerator and needle disposal unit? I am diabetic and also have to refrigerate insulin but I’m not sure why shelves in the refrigerator are necessary. I have had refrigerators with no shelving and that didn’t affect me leaving my insulin in it.

A real issue you have is the pool and water slide being out of commission and having no notice before hand. That in my eyes is worth some kind of compensation.

What ADA requirement weren’t met by the cruise line?

Embarkation is chaotic, no doubt but again- not obtaining all your items after going through the metal detectors wasn’t the fault of the ship personnel. As you said, it is chaotic and finding who was holding the keys wasn’t an easy task. You did get them back in the end, correct?

We have company contacts on top of our page. I urge you to use them and write to Carnival but I recommend you reconsider what you are asking for. If you ask for something off the charts they will ignore your request. They won’t give you a refund - they are going to offer you a future cruise credit if they offer anything.

Read this post about how to write and escalate your case to the Executives. Let us know how you make out.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Dec 19, 2014
OP,

What is your primary issue? Your posts read like a laundry list of complaints. If you write to Carnival with all the complaints, it will be ignored.

It sounds like maybe a cruise isn't the right type of vacation for you. It also sounds like the bad experience with the boarding process set the tone for the entire cruise, and from then on, nothing went right. But, that may or may not deserve compensation. Let's dissect each of your complaints:

1) You left your keys in the terminal. Not Carnival's fault
2) "keys had medication in a container." Hopefully the keys didn't contain ALL of your medication, and you had medication in your carry on baggage also.
3) Refrigerator had no shelves. The refrigerator worked didn't it?
4) Waterslide/pool closed. Was there an alternative pool? Are you saying your cruise was ruined because you couldn't use the waterslide?
5) Comedy club seating is on a first come-first served basis. When were you trying to attend? Did you not try and go earlier on subsequent days?
6) Magic Act. What were you expecting? Siegfried and Roy? OK, you didn't like it... moving on
7) Vegetarian meals = limited selection (usually 1 item vs 2 or 3)
8) Cruise ship dining is not equivalent to fine dining on land
9) We feel they violated their responsibility and we did not receive the enjoyable cruise experience as promised. Violating their contract with us." Can you explain HOW you feel they violated their contact? Have you read the contract? They can do a lot including moving ports, substituting port days for sea days, and not violate their TOS. Not having your keys and no shelves in the room is NOT a violation of their contract
10) "I purchased a watch for my husband which the signage on the ship stated lowest price guaranteed. They would price match. Was $150 over what I found online." The price match is worthless. Is there a guarantee that will reimburse you for the $150 price difference? If so, then that may be worth pursuing
11) "ADA considerations completely overlooked. My husband had a known health problem to the cruise line who mismanaged the event." Unless you have missing information or additional information, there is no ADA violation. Can you explain why you feel ADA was violated?

Obviously, I'm not Carnival or a Carnival rep, but I see no basis for a refund of 3 days + tips. The $100 credit towards a future cruise may be the best you are going to get. They MAY increase it to the $200-300 range, if you write a well crafted letter explaining your disappointment and focusing on how any of the above issues DIRECTLY impacted you and how you would like to see an improvement. Good luck.

Jan 30, 2018
For a 2 week cruise ALL his medication was on his key ring? Hard to believe. I take a lot of pills and I always take double my needed supply...one half in my purse and the other in another place - carryon or checked bag.

Aug 29, 2015
Carnival actually has a satisfaction guarantee for their cruises. The clincher is that you need to make guest services aware of your unhappiness within the first 24 hours, and actually state you wish to take advantage of the Great Vacation Guarantee. They will then make arrangements to assist you in disembarking at the first port of call and will fly you home, giving you a full refund.

They have had it in place a number of years, https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5520
And they updated it a few months ago. https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/vacation-guarantee.aspx

If you were this unhappy, why didn’t you take advantage of their guarantee? Did you research cruises before you left?

Sep 19, 2015
Not being a cruise person indicates not being aware of the process of embarking on the ship and the chaos of 3,700 passengers pushing in line to board. It is a far cry from boarding an airplane. Next we tried stacking items in the fridge however as the ship sailed it pitched back and forth to the point I put the stool in the room in front of the door to the fridge...we still had problems keeping it closed. Returning to the keys. When going through scanners at courthouses and other bldgs even hospitals have security check points. Attention is given as personal items are scanned...The number of people and the way they are processed to embark needs improvement especially to be ADA compliant.
The reason I am not a cruise person is that I do not want to be on a large ship with 3000 plus people, am a picky eater, and it just is not a good environment for me. It would be wonderful if people would not push and wait patiently, and wish that they did.

Ships rock the sea is not smooth. I am not sure if the gasket seal on the fridge was worn, I have no idea how fridges are supposed to be in that situation. If there were heavy drinks in the door I could see how it would swing open during rough seas just by the laws of physics. Did you ask for a medi-cooler?

I would not have an enjoyable experience on a cruise because of all the people. It sounds as if one has to line up and be early to dinner, events, etc like the music class and if one is not early one does not get in -- and that sounds stressful.

Do you have information on the watch price guarantee— if so have you made a claim?

Feb 3, 2019
Carnival actually has a satisfaction guarantee for their cruises. The clincher is that you need to make guest services aware of your unhappiness within the first 24 hours, and actually state you wish to take advantage of the Great Vacation Guarantee. They will then make arrangements to assist you in disembarking at the first port of call and will fly you home, giving you a full refund.

They have had it in place a number of years, https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5520
And they updated it a few months ago. https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/vacation-guarantee.aspx

If you were this unhappy, why didn’t you take advantage of their guarantee? Did you research cruises before you left?
We informed Guest Services at the Mgmt level who assured us our keys were on board secured in an unknown location. The shift rotations required the Mgmt to resolve our problem on going at that time. This statement went on until we physically in person on the third day and stood our ground with the Manager from Croatia at Guest Services. At what point does Carnival accept the fact the Managrment and employees misled us. When my husband walked through the security scanner with his keys in his pocket he was requested to hand over his keys to the Security Agent past the scanner while they used a wand scanner. The passengers in line pressed us forward presenting a physical barrier which caused us to move forward without the keys. As soon as we boarded the ship we realized the keys were missing , called Guest Services using the card in the room and even offered to disembark to retrieve them. The Agent Nahib at Guest Svcs assured us he would personally call, locate them and have them brought aboard the ship. He was also the agent I contacted when I called
Later on the day we boarded that stated the keys were in his possession and he was securing the keys in the safe and to come down anytime and pick them up. This was Day 1 we went down and were given the run around for two additional days spending our time at Guest Services getting the obtuse run around of having Mgmt talk to staff to find our keys. We didn’t just call and proceed on the cruise and leave it to the Carnival Cruise Guest Services Mgmt/staff...on the contrary we went down several times daily to remedy the problem. Put yourself in our shoes for a moment and realize we gave it our all to not be in the position we find ourselves in.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you travel often or fly? Is this your first cruise? All of your complaints seem to indicate you have never been in a cruise before.

You always have to remove keys before going through the metal detectors. This is normal procedure and up to the passenger to make sure you take everything when you leave. It’s not the cruise lines fault or the fault if anyone behind you.

Again- use our company contacts and see if they will offer you anything more.

Feb 3, 2019
When Mgmt takes “ownership” of a problem as Manager of Guest Services we as passengers took responsibility and requested to disembark to retrieve the keys. By the tenor of your response I have stepped back and paused to reflect on the complete picture. Self Service Kiosks would remove the responsibility of Carnival Cruise Mgmt/Staff who are paid to orient, assist and process passengers. As an adult my responsibility begins with myself as well as the resolution when I am misled and taken advantage of. The mentality of no matter what I am responsible for the actions of the staff and yes even Management is so far from ethical the remarks given in response to my inquiry are redundant at best.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You haven’t answered many of the questions we have asked you to try and figure out what the trye issues are. Right now your list tells us this was your first cruise you you went into it with unrealistic expectations.

Did you use a travel agent to book this?

Use our advice and start writing one by one to the Executives at Carnival. We have seen many instances of a well written letter getting to the desk of the right executive and getting a no turned into a yes. Your letter needs to be polite and mention the big issues, which are the keys not being located promptly, the pools and the ukeleli you bought for the class you couldn’t get into.

Read this, it tells you about how to write an effective letter and escalate it properly.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Arguing with us here isn’t going to get anywhere. We are trying to tell you what out of the list of issues are ones that are legitimate so your letter isn’t ignored.

Let us know the outcome after you have followed the process.

Aug 29, 2015
I am trying to understand what it is you want. You complained about a situation with keys, but that was a self-made situation. Once you’ve boarded, it is normal to not allow you off the ship until the first port due to federal laws,baring emergencies.

You then provided a list of other issues you had, most of which seem unimportant. Like shelves in a refrigerator?
You didn’t like the magic act. Ok. Not everyone does. I tend to find most comedians to be rather sophomoric. My husband and I have agreed tha I will skip them. He can go.
Lack of water slide, but you also stated you were both disabled and use canes. But you planned to climb the ladder and use the water Slide? I’m confused.

I like cruises, but I know what I’m getting, I currently use a wheelchair and know there will always be someone available to assist me, but I need to bring my patience and smile because lots of others need help as well and my turn will come. A smile to the person assisting me brings out the smile from them, and I receive better service. I’m also an adventurous diner.

Write a letter to the Carnival team and ask for a credit to try again. You were not made aware of the Great Vacation Guarantee in spite of many complaints. They may provide a credit to try again.

Sep 19, 2015
When Mgmt takes “ownership” of a problem as Manager of Guest Services we as passengers took responsibility and requested to disembark to retrieve the keys. By the tenor of your response I have stepped back and paused to reflect on the complete picture. Self Service Kiosks would remove the responsibility of Carnival Cruise Mgmt/Staff who are paid to orient, assist and process passengers. As an adult my responsibility begins with myself as well as the resolution when I am misled and taken advantage of. The mentality of no matter what I am responsible for the actions of the staff and yes even Management is so far from ethical the remarks given in response to my inquiry are redundant at best.
So does the responsibility beginning with ones self begin with forgetting to take keys out of the pocket and forgetting to pick them up?

This is not a luxury cruise with personal butlers but a cruise with over 3000 people. You may think that your missing keys — which were not noticed as missing until you got to your cabin 6384. I suspect there were other people that also had issues and also calling guest services.

I could not handle a cruise. Too many people too many lines. I would not go on one if it was free.

It would be best to focus on certain issues like the construction in the pool area and other issues.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Zuma, we’ve given you the information you need to contact Carnival. I’m going to close this thread to further comments. Once you’ve used our thread on how to write, if you would like to update us on the response from Carnival, we’ll open it up for you to let us know the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.