Carnival compensation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 9, 2016
11/04/2015 I booked 4 tickets on Carnival for a Caribbean cruise at Christmas
11/30/2015 I notifies Carnival that 2 passengers could not travel due to illness and I provided a Doctor's letter. Carnival refunded 25% of my $2020 fare. I want a full refund since the cruise was a sellout with no empty cabins. I have emailed Carnival several times but they dot bother responding. I am hoping Chris & his team can help me. Patrick in Florida

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@PATRICK O'DEA -

I hope everyone is on the road to full recovery and am sorry you missed your cruise vacation.

Did you and your fellow passengers purchase Carnival's Vacation Protection Plan or a third-party travel insurance policy? That's exactly what this insurance is for. By the way, I hope everyone is on the road to full recovery.

It is also possible that the credit card you used might have some sort of travel insurance attached ... it's worth asking the credit card company about that.

Carnival's cancellation penalties for 6+ night cruises (which I'm guessing you had) provide that if you cancel 29-15 days before sailing, a 75% penalty applies. That would be in step with the 25% refund you received.

I will say that the fact that the cruise was sold out does not affect Carnival's cancellation penalty reimbursement. It's pretty much set in stone. BUT ..... you can certainly ask!

Not sure what email address you used to contact Carnival, but our Company Contacts are here: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/carnival-cruise-lines/

I would suggest starting with the icare email address, and if no reply is received within a week, escalate to the first executive, and then up the line as needed.

You are asking Carnival for a favor, so we suggest a short, polite message including reservation number, passenger names, etc. We find that brief notes tend to bring better results.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I want a full refund since the cruise was a sellout with no empty cabins.
Patrick,

Unless your cancelling the two passengers opened up another cabin (i.e. you had two cabins booked and there would be two people in each cabin vs. you had one cabin booked with four people in the cabin), the cruise would have still sailed full, although there would have been more room in the lifeboats, if needed!

Did you purchase either Carnival's insurance or an independent policy? I'm not familiar with Carnival's policy but from their website it states that it starts at $49. So even if it was $100/person, it would have still been worth it.

Carrie

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm sorry that you missed your cruise. It would be helpful to you to read the terms of the contract you signed when you purchased the cruise. Then you will realize that you might receive more compensation by writing to Carnival, as my colleague suggests. You would be requesting an exception to the terms that you agreed to when you booked. Under the cancellation policy, you are only entitled to the 25% refund that you have already received. I know that this is difficult to deal with, but your travel agent should have encouraged you to purchase insurance. Any time a traveller prepays something, there needs to be protection from cancellation or interruption of the trip. I hope you will write a concise, polite letter to Carnival requesting an exception to their rules.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you book those non refundable rates? Unfortunately as everyone else said, if you didn't buy travel insurance you are out of luck if you cancel after final payment date.

Did your travel agent explain this when you booked?

Mar 12, 2016
I agree this is what it says in the T&Cs. The following assumes that the two ill would-be-travelers were booked in a different room. Shouldn't this sort of behavior be illegal? The cruise line is keeping 75% of the money for nothing. They rebooked the cabin for 100% of the rate (possibly even more than 100% if the original was booked well in-advance).

Aug 29, 2015
November 2015, for a December 2015 cruise, is after final payment. Since it was a Christmas cruise, final payment would have been due in September, 90 days before the sail date.

As a result, under the contract that was agreed to when the cruise was purchased, the 25% refund is all that is due back.

I agree this is what it says in the T&Cs. The following assumes that the two ill would-be-travelers were booked in a different room. Shouldn't this sort of behavior be illegal? The cruise line is keeping 75% of the money for nothing. They rebooked the cabin for 100% of the rate (possibly even more than 100% if the original was booked well in-advance).
Why should it be illegal? It is what was agreed to when purchasing at what is really the last minute. There is no way to know what the cruise like sold the cabin for less than a month before the sail date.

Mar 12, 2016
Simple. The cruise line is stealing money from customers. Just because it is legal to have such clauses in contracts does not mean it should be. If the cruise line is able to resell the cabin, they should be able to keep a maximum of the fare difference paid (if the cancelled fare was more expensive) possibly with a small admin fee. Being able to make up to double off a single cabin by ripping people off should be illegal. If the cabin can't be resold then that's a completely different story.

Aug 28, 2015
Simple. The cruise line is stealing money from customers. Just because it is legal to have such clauses in contracts does not mean it should be. If the cruise line is able to resell the cabin, they should be able to keep a maximum of the fare difference paid (if the cancelled fare was more expensive) possibly with a small admin fee. Being able to make up to double off a single cabin by ripping people off should be illegal. If the cabin can't be resold then that's a completely different story.
There are lots and lots of things in this world that I think should be legal, or illegal, but they are not. Simply put, it is not illegal for Carnival to keep the money, and they sell insurance for that reason.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When you made your payment, you agreed to the terms. Every cruise line has a cancellation penalty, Carnival is no different than any other. And how do you know the cabin was resold?

You could have saved yourself a lot of money by those two people buying insurance. Sometimes pennywise and pound foolish. The cruise lines sell insurance to cover you in the event of illness - why would they give you everything back when they sell insurance to cover this?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I know you are frustrated and angry, wilcoxon. Maybe this will help: I contracted with an attorney to deal with a (frivolous) lawsuit. I paid him a retainer of $1500. He had lunch with the DA, the case was thrown out. He laughed when I asked him if he was going to refund some of my money.

When you purchase travel, the terms and conditions come from the provider. You agree with them, otherwise they won't sell you the travel.

Oct 13, 2015
Your position is that because the cruise was a sell-out, the terms of the agreement shouldn't apply. Are you ok if the cruise line does the same thing? So if the cruise didn't sell out, should it be able to increase every passenger's fare to cover the revenue that would have been generated by a full ship? Just to be clear, I'm not a fan of cruise contracts either but that the cruise line stuck to the terms of the agreement doesn't make it the bad guy.

11/04/2015 I booked 4 tickets on Carnival for a Caribbean cruise at Christmas
11/30/2015 I notifies Carnival that 2 passengers could not travel due to illness and I provided a Doctor's letter. Carnival refunded 25% of my $2020 fare. I want a full refund since the cruise was a sellout with no empty cabins. I have emailed Carnival several times but they dot bother responding. I am hoping Chris & his team can help me. Patrick in Florida
Hello Mr. Odea,

Thank you so much for reaching out here at Elliott.Org Frorums. I am a Staff Travel Advocate here on the Elliott.Org forums and I wanted to thank you for your post and to say that you are very lucky to get 25& off your 2020 fare. Unfortunately the Cruise Lines do not provide full refunds unless you have travel insurance and its for a covered reason.

You were very lucky that Carnival extended this offer as other cruise lines would only refund you the Port Charges and Taxes which in this situation that is all you are entitled to.

If you have any furhter questions or a future issue with a vendor please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hello Mr. Odea,

Thank you so much for reaching out here at Elliott.Org Frorums. I am a Staff Travel Advocate here on the Elliott.Org forums and I wanted to thank you for your post and to say that you are very lucky to get 25& off your 2020 fare. Unfortunately the Cruise Lines do not provide full refunds unless you have travel insurance and its for a covered reason.

You were very lucky that Carnival extended this offer as other cruise lines would only refund you the Port Charges and Taxes which in this situation that is all you are entitled to.

If you have any furhter questions or a future issue with a vendor please don't hesitate to contact us again.
Hi TravelPlus-

This is an old post. The readers are no longer reading these threads.

If you look on top of the page, you will see two icons- one is an envelope and one is a flag.

Please look at the envelope- I have tried contacting you personally to welcome you. Please take a look at the conversation.

@travelplus