Carnival cancelled my booking

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 1, 2017
I recently had a cruise set with Carnival but when I arrived at the pier in Ft Lauderdale, I found I had forgotten my passport. I understand this was my fault. After the agent seeing whether a scanned copy of my passport (sent by a family member at home) would solve this, I was denied boarding when they were closing the gangway. At that time I was told that I could join the ship at the next port. I had no idea what I would do and my luggage was already aboard.
I flew home to Chicago. While waiting to board that flight I searched for options get to Nassau the next day and found an early flight I could make so I booked a seat.
When I got home and had my passport in hand, I called Carnival for specifics about getting on the ship but was told that MY ENTIRE BOOKING WAS CANCELLED! I was told there was nothing they could do, and there was no reason to go to Nassau.
I feel that Carnival should not have cancelled on me, especially after telling me I could board the next day if I got my passport.
I feel that Carnival should refund the cost of my cruise in a "Cloud 9" balcony cabin (2217.25) & the cost of the flight to Nassau ($345.60) which I would not have purchased unless I was joining the ship.
I sent an objection to Carnival by email and was given this response:
"Given the circumstances, we've made a one-time exception to our policy. You'll be pleased to know that a replacement cruise of equal duration will be honored. This offer is for a Cruise Only and Space Available Basis on interior accommodations only (one-time offer) for a party of one. We will contact you in the event that staterooms become available on other departure dates. Or, you may contact us at 1-800-438-6744 Ext - 70450 four weeks prior to departure for updates on availability. Please understand that this opportunity will only be available in the event that we project to have staterooms available in excess of the staterooms we expected to sell.
The Space Available cruise offer is not transferable and is (excluding Holiday sailings, cruises to Alaska, Australia, Europe, Hawaii and chartered sailings, etc.). Please note, airfare, gratuities, miscellaneous charges or other taxes and fees are not included with this gesture."
I think they should do better for me.

Thank you for any help given.

Jan 6, 2015
Unfortunately, you have only the word of an agent to prove your case. Considering that, your request to recover the cost of the flight will likely be denied. To me, their offer seems fair.

You can, however, appeal your case by using the Company Contacts link near the top of this page. I suggest you start with the Primary Contact.

Wait 2 weeks for a reply before moving on to the higher level contacts.

Jul 1, 2017
Unfortunately, you have only the word of an agent to prove your case. Considering that, your request to recover the cost of the flight will likely be denied. To me, their offer seems fair.

You can, however, appeal your case by using the Company Contacts link near the top of this page. I suggest you start with the Primary Contact.

Wait 2 weeks for a reply before moving on to the higher level contacts.
I was given a statement on letterhead also stating that I could board.

Jan 6, 2015
Then that is completely different. Assuming you still have that, the appeal I recommended is your next step. I would scan the letter and attach it to the mail.

Even so, they may not compensate for the flight ....

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Hi Cathy ...

Since you have a statement on CCL letterhead stating that you could board, Carnival should do the right thing by you.

I think they reverted to the terms on their Ticket Contract (bolding mine):
17. GUEST’S OBLIGATIONS FOR EXPENSES OR IF CONFINED, DENIED BOARDING OR DISEMBARKED

(b) If guest is denied boarding, confined to a stateroom or disembarked from the vessel pursuant to any provision of this contract, including but not limited to Clauses 2, 4. 5, or 8, guest agrees: (NOTE: Section 2c states: (c) Proper travel documentation and eligibility to travel is required at the embarkation and throughout the cruise)

i. Carnival will not be liable for any refund of Cruise Fare, other compensation or any damages;

ii. All rights under Carnival’s Vacation Guarantee are forfeited. This forfeiture also applies to any guest who disembarks because another guest is disembarked;

iii. Disembarkation and repatriation to the embarkation port or any other destination will be at guest’s sole expense;
~~~~~~~~
My interpretation would be that @VoR61 's advice is solid... contact Carnival as suggested. You bought a Cloud 9 Balcony Cabin and should receive the same accommodation, not an interior cabin as mentioned in their Space Available offer.

Please pursue this and let us know what transpires.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Kudos to you for getting it in writing! That's why they're offering you this (puny) future cruise deal. One hand did not know what the other was doing ... hardly your fault. I would write a concise, very polite letter to Carnival. Take the tack that you were ready to fly to the next port to join the ship but there was an unfortunate error in communication by Carnival, you're not blaming anyone, these things happen etc. Your job is to convince the person reading your letter to want to help you. Tell them what you would like as compensation (I'd not include any air lest your request just be discarded) and how much you'd appreciate their assistance. Vent to us, but be honey-sweet in your letter. Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Jul 1, 2017
I just got a response to my letter:
"

Dear Catherine Seymour,

Thanks for getting in touch with us again.

Our original response was a sincere effort to address your request. While we realize a replacement cruise was not what you requested, we feel the offer extended was fair and equitable.

We have once again reviewed your request for special consideration, and I’m sorry to say that our offer remains unchanged.

I know this is not the answer you were hoping for and we apologize for your disappointment, but trust you understand cancellation penalties are a standard industry practice and this was an exception to our policy.

We hope you will take advantage of our invitation to return on a future sailing!

Sincerely,

Amarilys Rivera
Guest Administration Coordinator
Carnival Cruise Lines | 3655 NW 87th Avenue | Miami, FL 33178 |
800-438-6744
[email protected]"

Jul 1, 2017
I sent off this reply to that email:
"
Thank you for responding to me. I truly don't have an objection to a replacement cruise, it's that there are a few specifics here that I can't agree with.
My employer gives me vacation time each year & in November we select our week(s) for the entire coming year... I just don't have any leeway to take off on short notice as the offer I was given requires. When I buy any vacation, whether it's a cruise or a trip on land, I plan months in advance. Also, the difference between the Cloud 9 spa balcony cabin that I bought and the interior cabin I was offered is quite dramatic!
I wonder if you can explain to me why my booking was cancelled when I was told that I could board the ship at the next port? This seems to be the real issue to me and I just can't seem to understand what happened here. This is what truly makes me feel that I've been short-changed.
Thank you for your help,
Catherine Seymour "

I'm not really expecting this lady to resolve my issue.
Please give any thoughts?
Thank you, Cathy S

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Don't bother with that response. Move up to the next executive, forwarding the reply you received and stating to the next executive that this wouldn't be an issue if the agent at the terminal did not tell you that you could meet the ship at the next port.

I am a travel agent and in doing this for 16 years, I have never seen a cruise line do this. They usually allow you to meet the ship. I have never seen a cruise line do this.

Feb 9, 2016
@Cathy S

You seem to be amenable at accepting a free cruise but have made the point that you cant commit now because f your employer and vacation situation.

simply ask the Carnival representative if you can put off picking a specific cruise until closer to November/December. I'm pretty sure they would be fine with that. keep their contact info so you vcan work with them in the fall.

also, I see that you are frustrated because no one will give you an acceptable answer as to why you were not allowed to meet the ship at a later date. You can continue to press the issue but they may continue to avoid the question. How about you express that it appears that there was a miscommunication regarding the situation and that you would like a ship board credit of $200? $300? per person on that cruise to compensate you for the situation?

Feb 9, 2016
They're not answering the question as to why they wouldn't allow you to board later because they know they screwed up, don't want to admit fault due to liability issues, and don't have an alternative, acceptable answer.

Jul 1, 2017
On 7/20 I was called by Shelly from Carnival Customer Service. She asked me to give her all of the details I could and I was on the phone with her for almost 30 minutes. I told her that I was not against a replacement cruise, but I thought there was a huge difference between an interior cabin and the balcony that I had booked. I also told her that my employer has us select all of our vacation weeks in November for the following year and I could never take off on short notice for vacation. She spoke with her CS team and now I've gotten this reply which I find agreeable:

"Dear Catherine S,

Thank you for getting in touch with us again. We have received your email and we appreciate the opportunity to respond.

As you know, we sent you an email on June 9, 2017 to advise you we were offering you a space available cruise with certain restrictions.

After further review with our management team and as a good will gesture given the fact of all you have been through, we are pleased to issue you, (Catherine Seymour) a Replacement cruise when you are available to sail with us. The cruise will be of equal duration or less on a Cruise Only basis. We will allow you to rebook a balcony cabin as long as we have availability on the sailing you are requesting. Please contact our Guest Admin Department at 1-800-438-6744 ext. 70450 when you are ready to book. Our office hours are from Monday thru Friday from 9:00am to 5:30pm EDT. This offer is valid for one year from the date of issuance. You must book and sail by July 24, 2018.

**Please keep in mind if you are bringing any additional guests, they will have to pay for their cruise portion, taxes and cruise fees.**

This Space Available cruise offer is not transferable and is not valid for Holiday sailings such as Christmas or New Years, cruises to Alaska, Australia, Europe, Hawaii and chartered sailings, etc. Please note, airfare, gratuities, miscellaneous charges or other taxes and fees are not included with this gesture.

This offer is void if you receive a refund or any other compensation for the cancellation of this cruise from any party including your travel insurer and if the new reservation is cancelled for any reason any applicable penalties will be assessed. Please understand that no refunds will be approved and that this offer is final.
Again, we are sorry that you were unable to join us aboard the Carnival Splendor due to unfortunate circumstances.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard one of the “Fun Ships” in the near future. We do hope that next time everything will go as planned so you can have that fun-filled, memorable vacation you deserve. "

I am thankful to the team here for all of your help and advice in steering me towards this solution. Thank you!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Well, blow me down, matey! This is wonderful, Cathy. Kudos to you for just hanging in there, pleasant, persistent and insistent on a positive answer. I am so happy that you'll have a lovely cruise to erase the memory of this year's mess.