Car Rental Damage in Italy

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 6, 2017
My 27-year-old daughter is in Italy for a business conference and rented a car at the airport. Being a long time follower of this column, I advised her to take photos and videos of the car at the airport. She has travel insurance that includes rental coverage (from InsureMyTrip.com). Being a paranoid parent, and knowing how hectic driving can be in Italy, I also advised her to take the “best” insurance the airport rep offered (which she did take). She called this morning and told me she was legally parked on a street and came out to find a small but noticeable dent in the bumper. I told her to take photos and inform the rental company when she returns it to the airport and make sure they know she took their insurance. I did not tell her to make a police report as it looks like minor damage and didn’t think they would even make a report for such small damage. She returns to the US in about 5 days. Can anyone provide any further advice or anything else to do at this time?

Thanks,
crdoms

Jan 6, 2017
Thanks for the replies. Good to know it is not mandatory to make a police report. I did ask her to review her rental contract about this. It is only a small dent (I'm afraid the rental company will want to replace everything they think they can get away with), and in no way impairs her driving.

Again, thanks for both responses.

Sep 19, 2015
Thanks for the replies. Good to know it is not mandatory to make a police report. I did ask her to review her rental contract about this. It is only a small dent (I'm afraid the rental company will want to replace everything they think they can get away with), and in no way impairs her driving.

Again, thanks for both responses.

When I say not mandatory I mean Italian law for drivers—. But rental contracts may be more rigid.
That being said I have rented a lot in Italy— and I take full insurance with zero deductible—- and when there has been damage I told the rental car company, filled in a declaration, and did not get any charges. She should arrive extra early if returning at airport and flying out just to have time for the paperwork.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think she should call the rental car company and ask if a police report is needed. She doesn’t want to assume and turn find out for insurance to kick in she needed to report it. We aren’t the experts and can’t see what her contact states.