Car Rental AVIS - vehicle damage claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 12, 2018
I received a letter from Viking Billing claiming I damaged an AVIS car I rented at the end of September. I did not do any damage. I rented the car at the airport drove home to drop off my luggage. I then went to the gas station to fill up and returned the car to a nearby airport. Unfortunately I was not aware of the advice in this forum and did not take photos or videos of the car. Also when I returned it the AVIS representative just took the keys and did not inspect the car. I now realise I should have insisted.

I am now following the advice given in this forum and have emailed AVIS customer services. They have responded basically telling me they cannot deal with it and that I should go directly to Viking. On this basis I have now emailed the primary contact you provide and am waiting for a response. I have asked for all of the information you list. My questions are:-

1. Do I stand a chance of winning this when I have no photos and no paperwork from my return?
2. I notice on the receipt I downloaded on their website they claim I did 109 miles. The minimum I could have done is 120 which makes me suspicious there was some mix up. I have not mentioned this to them yet. Should I? or should I wait for them to provide the other information I have requested.
3. Should I be contacting Viking as well to let them know I am dealing with AVIS. They do not provide an email address - just a telephone number and postal address. As my contract is with AVIS can they insist I talk to Viking?

Nov 12, 2018
Thanks Neil. I have started following this process exactly. I have contacted AVIS through their customer support and had a response and have therefore now emailed the primary contact you list. My concern is that if I don't respond to Viking they will start getting nasty. Do you have any further input on this part of my question?

Nov 12, 2018
Just to let you know I received an email from Avis this morning confirming their claim is being dropped and apologising. They claim they investigated and will be changing their processes in the future. I only had to escalate to primary contact to get this confirmation.

Sep 19, 2015
What good news. I do think the car rental companies should not later pursue damage claims after one of their employees has checked in the car after return. I can dream....