CapOne Credit card Fraud investigation $2000 stolen no resolution.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 8, 2019
I was sent a notice that a new card was being sent on 8/6. I called the service number to understand why I was being sent a new card, there had been no suspicious activity and the existing card was not expiring. The agent told me that the card was “system issued”, no further explanation provided. A new card would be an inconvenience, but I accepted their response.
On 8/13 I received email (2:45) that fraudulent activity was declined for $3,412 against account, I call at 3 pm and was told a second charge from same vendor was accepted for $2,000.00 (SQ-Auto-SC) while I was waiting (in GA) for agent to pick up. I was later told that the card was requested online by “me”, which would have been a red flag had your representative bothered to provide accurate information during the initial call.
I did not receive the card, I did not activate the card, and I did not make these charges. I have a call log from my cell phone that proves there were no outbound calls to their card activation service from the number on the account. However, your team was not willing to divulge through what method the card was activated.
I received 2 letters from CapOne Yesterday ,one said the case was resolved with no further liability ,and second (dated same day) informing me their investigation found no fraud since the transaction involved chip from new card , re-billing $2000 back on card.
I sent this along with PDF supporting Docs,to CapOne management listed on site. I can not believe this is standard procedure , why did the Bank send a Valid /active credit card USPS that I reported as Fraudulent 7 days before it occurred and hold the consumer liable.
THOUGHTS?

Mar 18, 2019
How did you receive the initial notice? Was it e-mail or postal mail? Did you receive any notifications of address changes before or after the card notice? When you called the agent, you really should have verified the address they were sending the card to, but that's not enough of a reason why you should be held liable for the charges.

Do you have proof that you were somewhere other than where the charges occurred at the time they occurred?

If you sent a PDF along with your e-mail, it might have been sent to the spam folder. If you don't receive a response within a week, I would send it again to the same executive but instead of attaching a PDF, write in the body of your e-mail that you have a PDF you can send if they specifically request it.

Oct 8, 2019
How did you receive the initial notice? Was it e-mail or postal mail? Did you receive any notifications of address changes before or after the card notice? When you called the agent, you really should have verified the address they were sending the card to, but that's not enough of a reason why you should be held liable for the charges.

Do you have proof that you were somewhere other than where the charges occurred at the time they occurred?

If you sent a PDF along with your e-mail, it might have been sent to the spam folder. If you don't receive a response within a week, I would send it again to the same executive but instead of attaching a PDF, write in the body of your e-mail that you have a PDF you can send if they specifically request it.
I received email from CapOne that card was being sent to my home address,unsolicited, and objected that it was fraud on this transaction. Agent gave me mis-information that their system sent it. I have iPhone records from AT&T with location and time of calls.I work remote from my home and was on conference call with Caterpillar customer logged on to VPN system. No but when I logged in , I had to reset my password since it was changed. Then 7 days later I received new email indicating there was a Fraudulent charge for $3412 which was declined. I indicated that I did not authorize the charge or receive new card ,and called their fraud dept who told me a second swipe was approved for $2000 pending, while I was calling.
I never received initial letter that I was not responsible for these charges ,the following day and account was credited $2000. This past week while I was overseas, They send 2 letter on same day, one telling me they investigated and the charges would not go on my account and a second that said investigation found no fraud since the perpetrator used a card with a valid chip on a reader registered to a business in SC on a Square mobile device . Company in SC does not exist on Google or physically .

Oct 8, 2019
In your first phone call to CapOne, did you tell them that you did not request the card?
yes 7 days before the transactions took place. I told them not to activate it. But they sent it USPS with no signature and it was replacement with same card # as one in my possession. I have cell phone details from AT&T for hours of calls thru out the whole process.

Jan 23, 2015
This all sounds very unlike Capital One!
Usually they'll send a new card via regular mail which takes 7-10 business days but you have the option of expediting, you just have to ask.
But I've never had them make it difficult for me when there are fraudulent charges.

Are you sure you were really speaking with a Capital One agent? Call the number on their site or on your card statement?

Mar 18, 2019
From what I understand, Capital One sent a new credit card to "the OP" because "the OP" requested it from the Capital One website. In the previous sentence, "the OP" was a fraudster who somehow gained access to the real OP's Capital One online account. "The OP" must have changed the real OP's home address and requested a new card be issued. Capital One issued a new card to the address on record, and "the OP" used it for fraudulent purchases.

The reason that Capital One is refusing the real OP's dispute is because a real Capital One credit card with a legit chip was used for the purchases. The real OP never authorized a card to be issued to "OP's" address, so any transactions that occurred on that fraudulent card are fraudulent. The problem is that Capital One doesn't believe our real OP that transactions that were processed on a card they actually issued are fraudulent.

How does the OP convince Capital One that they mailed a real, Capital One manufactured card to a fraudster?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I was sent a notice that a new card was being sent on 8/6. I called the service number to understand why I was being sent a new card, there had been no suspicious activity and the existing card was not expiring. The agent told me that the card was “system issued”, no further explanation provided. A new card would be an inconvenience, but I accepted their response.
On 8/13 I received email (2:45) that fraudulent activity was declined for $3,412 against account, I call at 3 pm and was told a second charge from same vendor was accepted for $2,000.00 (SQ-Auto-SC) while I was waiting (in GA) for agent to pick up. I was later told that the card was requested online by “me”, which would have been a red flag had your representative bothered to provide accurate information during the initial call.
I did not receive the card, I did not activate the card, and I did not make these charges. I have a call log from my cell phone that proves there were no outbound calls to their card activation service from the number on the account. However, your team was not willing to divulge through what method the card was activated.
I received 2 letters from CapOne Yesterday ,one said the case was resolved with no further liability ,and second (dated same day) informing me their investigation found no fraud since the transaction involved chip from new card , re-billing $2000 back on card.
I sent this along with PDF supporting Docs,to CapOne management listed on site. I can not believe this is standard procedure , why did the Bank send a Valid /active credit card USPS that I reported as Fraudulent 7 days before it occurred and hold the consumer liable.
THOUGHTS?
Oh, we have thoughts! This kind of thing is happening more and more. The banks don't seem to grasp that they're ruining their customers' day, week or month by their incompetency. Nobody knows nothin', call centers are staffed by people who, if they were able to think when they started, no longer can; they are chained to a procedures manual. I had a little run in with Chase this morning. Why was I locked out of my online access? Nobody knows. Should I be concerned? Probably not. What happened to lock me out? We don't know. Who knows? We don't know. Meanwhile, they keep parroting the same words, repeating your name 17 times, apologizing for your inconvenience. Over and over and over. It's maddening. And Chase is known for their excellent CS with their Sapphire cards. When it comes to fraud, it's ludicrous. The customer is treated like the criminal ... banks no longer know their customers, so they retreat behind privacy, security, anti-fraud, whatever. They really DON'T know what to do.

All you can do is take a deep breath. Compose a polite, concise email. Reading your post, I understand exactly what happened. But the bank doesn't want to admit that they're incompetent. Treat this issue matter-of-factly; nobody will help you if you imply that they're morons, even tho they are. Your job is to get the reader of your letter to grasp your problem with one read-through and route your request to the right person/departmnt. Please post your letter here if you wish and we will take a look at it. We have great depth of letter-writing skill among us and will be happy to critique it.

Oct 8, 2019
Oh, we have thoughts! This kind of thing is happening more and more. The banks don't seem to grasp that they're ruining their customers' day, week or month by their incompetency. Nobody knows nothin', call centers are staffed by people who, if they were able to think when they started, no longer can; they are chained to a procedures manual. I had a little run in with Chase this morning. Why was I locked out of my online access? Nobody knows. Should I be concerned? Probably not. What happened to lock me out? We don't know. Who knows? We don't know. Meanwhile, they keep parroting the same words, repeating your name 17 times, apologizing for your inconvenience. Over and over and over. It's maddening. And Chase is known for their excellent CS with their Sapphire cards. When it comes to fraud, it's ludicrous. The customer is treated like the criminal ... banks no longer know their customers, so they retreat behind privacy, security, anti-fraud, whatever. They really DON'T know what to do.

All you can do is take a deep breath. Compose a polite, concise email. Reading your post, I understand exactly what happened. But the bank doesn't want to admit that they're incompetent. Treat this issue matter-of-factly; nobody will help you if you imply that they're morons, even tho they are. Your job is to get the reader of your letter to grasp your problem with one read-through and route your request to the right person/departmnt. Please post your letter here if you wish and we will take a look at it. We have great depth of letter-writing skill among us and will be happy to critique it.
This site has provided my with a clear understanding of what actually allowed Fraudster to order a live cloned chipped card.
Your advice is well taken, I have had a chance to take a breath and compose a concise , factual ,supported letter .
The same fraud investigation agent send two letters with different outcomes on the same day and sent them to the real “OP”.
It’s hard to not see incompetence and lack of training, where are these call centers based?

Attachments

Oct 8, 2019
This all sounds very unlike Capital One!
Usually they'll send a new card via regular mail which takes 7-10 business days but you have the option of expediting, you just have to ask.
But I've never had them make it difficult for me when there are fraudulent charges.

Are you sure you were really speaking with a Capital One agent? Call the number on their site or on your card statement?
Up to now I would totally agree with you . CapOne held my mortgage for many years till they sold to US bank several years ago. I have had this Visa card for 7 years with out many issues . I and my wife have had many fraud issues where cards issued with new account numbers each time. This issue was different, I suspected fraud when i received the first email , and called to report it ( used the number on back of card) . I had just heard of their web site breach, revealing account login and PW. It seemed too obvious but not to their agents experience. I’ll get back to you with letter.

Oct 8, 2019
1st Draft letter: Comments appreciated

RE: Unauthorized Charges on My Account – Notice to Furnisher

Dear ---------

I have been a loyal and active customer of CapOne for many years. I have never had an issue with your service until today. I am writing because of an unacceptable and conflicting result of a fraud investigation recently completed on my behalf.

I received two letters from the Fraud Investigation assessment agent on September 24th, 2019. One said there was fraud and credit would remain and second from same agent that charge would be re billed, no Fraud

I was sent a notice that a new card was being sent on 8/6. I immediately called the Fraud number to understand why I was being sent a new card, there had been no suspicious activity and the existing card was not expiring. The agent told me that the card was “system issued”, no further explanation provided. A new un-wanted card would be an inconvenience, but I accepted Agents professional opinion.

On 8/13 I received email at 2:40 that fraudulent activity was declined for $3,412 against my account, I called at 3 pm Johns Creek GA and was told a second charge from same vendor was accepted for $2,000.00 (SQ-Lusk Auto-SC) while I was waiting for agent to pick up. I was later told that the card was requested online by “me”, which would have been a red flag had your representative bothered to provide accurate information during the initial call.
I did not receive the card, I did not activate the card, and I did not make these charges. I have call log from my cell phone that proves there were no outbound calls to your card activation service from the actual number on the account. However, your team was not willing to divulge through what method the card was activated.

This breach occurred in part due to misinformation provided by your service department. If I were attempting to defraud your company, I would not call you 7 days before hand to object to the replacement card. The replacement card request was clearly suspicious in nature, and the timing makes it clear that I did not us this CapOne manufactured card to charge in another state while waiting on hold to speak to your fraud team. I also have business records of my location and activities.

I attempted to explain this to the fraud agent and supervisor but was dismissed by an individual who would not provide their name/employee ID to me. I expect that is not customer policy at CapOne, yet your representatives behave in such an irresponsible manner.

I have filed a claim with the CFPB and I request that you reevaluate this fraud investigation more thoroughly, send me an updated and accurate statement.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
@AtlDude, I hope you don't mind that I did a bit of editing. The tone of your letter was still a bit aggressive, in my opinion. The gist of these letters is to have the letter reader want to help you. By keeping to the facts of the situation and avoiding any criticism of the employees your encountered, you will gain an ally in your quest for absolution.

I have been a loyal and active customer of CapOne for many years. I have never had an issue with your service until today. I am writing because of an unacceptable and conflicting result of a fraud investigation recently completed on my behalf.

I was sent a notice that a new card was being sent on 8/6. I immediately called the Fraud number to understand why I was being sent a new card, there had been no suspicious activity and the existing card was not expiring. The agent told me that the card was “system issued”, no further explanation provided. A new un-wanted card would be an inconvenience, but I accepted Agents professional opinion.

On 8/13 I received an email at 2:40 that fraudulent activity was declined for $3,412 against my account, I called at 3 pm Johns Creek GA and was told a second charge from same vendor was accepted for $2,000.00 (SQ-Lusk Auto-SC) while I was waiting for agent to pick up. I was later told that the card was requested online by “me”, which would have been a red flag had your representative bothered to provide accurate information during the initial call. which is not the case as stated above.

I did not receive the card, I did not activate the card, and I did not make these charges. I have the call log from my cell phone that proves there were no outbound calls to your card activation service from the actual number on the account. However, your team was not willing to divulge through what method the card was activated. can show I was not the one who activated the card. Unfortunately, the CapOne agents would not reveal what method the card was activated.

To summarize, seven days prior to the fraudulent activity, I communicated with a CapOne agent that I did not want/need a new card. I never received the new card. On 8/13, I received notification from CapOne that fraudulent activity was associated with my new card. I confirmed this was, in fact, fraudulent activity. On 9/24, I received two letters from the same agent. One stating the fraudulent charges were removed from my account, the other stating the charges would remain on my account.

I have filed a claim with the CFPB and I request that you reevaluate this fraud investigation more thoroughly.

Oct 8, 2019
@AtlDude, I hope you don't mind that I did a bit of editing. The tone of your letter was still a bit aggressive, in my opinion. The gist of these letters is to have the letter reader want to help you. By keeping to the facts of the situation and avoiding any criticism of the employees your encountered, you will gain an ally in your quest for absolution.

On 8/13 I received an email at 2:40 that fraudulent activity was declined for $3,412 against my account, I called at 3 pm Johns Creek GA and was told a second charge from same vendor was accepted for $2,000.00 (SQ-Lusk Auto-SC) while I was waiting for agent to pick up. I was later told that the card was requested online by “me”, which would have been a red flag had your representative bothered to provide accurate information during the initial call. which is not the case as stated above.

I did not receive the card, I did not activate the card, and I did not make these charges. I have the call log from my cell phone that proves there were no outbound calls to your card activation service from the actual number on the account. However, your team was not willing to divulge through what method the card was activated. can show I was not the one who activated the card. Unfortunately, the CapOne agents would not reveal what method the card was activated.

To summarize, seven days prior to the fraudulent activity, I communicated with a CapOne agent that I did not want/need a new card. I never received the new card. On 8/13, I received notification from CapOne that fraudulent activity was associated with my new card. I confirmed this was, in fact, fraudulent activity. On 9/24, I received two letters from the same agent. One stating the fraudulent charges were removed from my account, the other stating the charges would remain on my account.

I have filed a claim with the CFPB and I request that you reevaluate this fraud investigation more thoroughly.

Thanks so much with your editing, I especially like the summary to wrap up expectations. I am hoping that someone will do the right thing with out generating negative reaction.
The truth be told , recent reviews indicate CapOne is respected premier visa bank card.
I have AMEX cards but their acceptance is not as universal outside of the USA.

Oct 8, 2019
Have you actually filed a complaint with the CFPB? I hope so because this is ridiculous that they cannot see that you did not order the replacement card.
Yes I have filed doc when i received the 2 letters They send complaints to CapOne which have to be addressed in 15 days.
All this is so ridicules and someone at CapOne needs to intervene . If not I will have to file a civil suit but not certain exact jurisdiction . GA , SC or maybe arbitration . I was blown away when there agent told wife and I on speakerphone her’s was the final word in the mater. We will see about that! (Not angry voice)
I presume I will have to pay the charge if this is not resolved before the next billing cycle is payable.

Sep 20, 2018
True Story: I have all my credit cards set to text me in the event of *any* charge being made. I wake up one Saturday morning with texts from Cap One informing me of a $30 charge from match.com and $3,000 or something from Indonesia's version of Amazon. I of course immediately call CapOne and tell them the card is stolen. No problem so far; two online purchases that are clearly fraudulent.

I ask, as an aside, how on earth CapOne's fraud detection system failed to reject a foreign transaction for thousands of dollars. The (very good) rep agreed that was an excellent question, and went off to investigate. She comes back telling me that they did ask for approval for the charge (via text and e-mail), and that I signed off on it. I checked my e-mail, and see a note from CapOne letting me know that my e-mail has been changed. (To [first.lastname]@yahoo.com) So the scammers changed my e-mail, ran up a dubious charge in the middle of the night, and then replied to the fraud-alert e-mail.

Of course I inform the rep that that wasn't me, and could she please switch it back? She does, and conferences in the security team to figure out how the e-mail was changed. Turns out that they changed it over the phone. While the website is locked-down like proverbial Fort Knox, apparently all you need to do to make changes over the phone is the last four digits of your SSN, and Mom's maiden name. (Information that's been stolen and passed around so many times, it might as well be published in the phonebook.)

In the end, it wasn't any hassle to get the charges removed, and I now have a "Security Word" on my account to keep these phone shenanigans from happening again, but yeah, it was pretty laughable security going into this.

Oct 8, 2019
True Story: I have all my credit cards set to text me in the event of *any* charge being made. I wake up one Saturday morning with texts from Cap One informing me of a $30 charge from match.com and $3,000 or something from Indonesia's version of Amazon. I of course immediately call CapOne and tell them the card is stolen. No problem so far; two online purchases that are clearly fraudulent.

I ask, as an aside, how on earth CapOne's fraud detection system failed to reject a foreign transaction for thousands of dollars. The (very good) rep agreed that was an excellent question, and went off to investigate. She comes back telling me that they did ask for approval for the charge (via text and e-mail), and that I signed off on it. I checked my e-mail, and see a note from CapOne letting me know that my e-mail has been changed. (To [first.lastname]@yahoo.com) So the scammers changed my e-mail, ran up a dubious charge in the middle of the night, and then replied to the fraud-alert e-mail.

Of course I inform the rep that that wasn't me, and could she please switch it back? She does, and conferences in the security team to figure out how the e-mail was changed. Turns out that they changed it over the phone. While the website is locked-down like proverbial Fort Knox, apparently all you need to do to make changes over the phone is the last four digits of your SSN, and Mom's maiden name. (Information that's been stolen and passed around so many times, it might as well be published in the phonebook.)

In the end, it wasn't any hassle to get the charges removed, and I now have a "Security Word" on my account to keep these phone shenanigans from happening again, but yeah, it was pretty laughable security going into this.
They have Serious compliance issues, identity theft which has become a Cyber plague at banking companies.
I also have my card account notify me when purchase is made. The proper protection has to be done, when they give our identity away, I was notified today in their Credit Wise that my email address and info in listed on the Dark Web . Scary people!