CAPITOL ONE WANTS MORE PROOF THEN THEPROOF THEY GOT? WHATIS IT PROOF PROOF?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 15, 2019
I was with capital one for a little under a year they recently closed my account because my bank again had bounced my payments to them which was not my fault this time or the 1st time they close my count secured credit card 1 of them put on my credit report that they close my accounts because I didn't give them enough proof my bank spoke to them the manager at the banked told them what had happened it was flagged wrongly and the guy F capital 1 said why I need more proof What other proof can you give me are you serious I'm not a 100% sure when banks call to say they screw up anyway capital one closes my account's put it on my credit report acts as if I have a balance owing mind you they always reported to my credit on the seconds of every month this time they reported April 12th said that I have a balance due of $388 so it looks like I'm a scumbag on paper as if I don't pay my bills when in reality that is not true but seat their telling me that they can only update a credit report 1 time a month so now it looks as if I'm garbage on paper because of capital 1 And that basically I'm just gonna have to wait for next month to come around if they feel like reporting it or not,when there is simply not true this is not OK I need some advice please

Apr 15, 2019
Yes they did, and my bank called them stating that my account was flagged and it's a mistake, Tim at capital one said he needed more proof, please see the attached. I will have them send a letter. Thank you

Edited by a moderator to remove attachment

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 15, 2019
Delete the screen shot.

You probably need a letter on bank letterhead signed by an officer of the bank stating the date and amount of the payments that were returned in error. A text is not enough proof.
Yes Tim would not give any information to where to send it to and that was a email from my bank to me not a text to Capitol one. I had just made my payments on both my accounts, to a 0 balance.i never ever carried a balance. I am starting my credit over again at 37, I am taking full responsibility for the situation, they always reported to my credit report every second of the month since last August, they reported on the 12th of April they closed my accounts but my payments posted on april 6th per their email. They said I have a balance owing on a secured credit card, sent me a letter and show it on my credit report that closed by guarantor balance owing $388, but when I call they say that is not the balance owing but since they already reported to the credit bureaus they cannot report again till sometime next month, if they decide to report. Now I do not owe the balance, they agree to that except they will lay that ride till they get around to taking the truth about the balance, why?

Apr 15, 2019
Hi jsn55
1) April 3 Capitol one payment for $596 and $234 were returned
2) April 4 went to my bank and asked why my payments were returned was told it was an error to call Capitol one and let them know to please do a "RETRY" my bank had screwed up
3) called Capitol one the young lady I spoke to said she didn't see Anything returned in my account my payments had posted 2 days ago I said well could you please try to make the payment go through again she said that she had tried but it wouldn't let it go through because it was more then my credit amount that she was going to notate my account to please go ahead and do a retry that is the term that the bank said to use when the payments due come back
4) April 5 payments returned resubmitted payment on Capitol one app
5) called my bank let them know I've resubmitted payments
6) payments posted on April 8 to Capitol one from my bank
7) April 9 Capitol one locks my cards, also emailed my bank and said what's going on he responded that he spoke toba Tim and Tim said he needs more proof theres an error then just the bank calling, but had no idea of what other proof Marcus could send in
8) April 12 credit karma sends me a notification that accounts were closed and my score dropped significantly
9) April 8 Capitol one sent 2 letters out that were recieved on April 12 We are closing this account because of activity on this or another account is not consistent with our expectation for account usage please stop using your account immediately and destroy any cards as a you should update any recurring payment you set up
10) April 16 called Capitol one and said You guys have a statement saying that I am responsible for paying in full any remaining account balance you will continue this receive billing statements until any remaining balance reaches 0 I called Camille at capital one and she said that the balance is not old because they updated the account later but they had already reported it on April 12 to the credit bureau and I really only 0 $88 on 1 of the account's on a secured credit card account but they are only allowed to report to credit bureaus wants a month and since they had already done that I will have to wait for them to clear up the balance if they feel like reporting next month

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
You need to send Capital One a copy of your bank statement that shows the payments were debited from your bank account.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you for the list; let's try this. Is "Capitol One" a mortgage, a car loan, a credit card? Are you paying them with a check, an inter-bank transfer, or your bank's bill-paying service? Why did you make two payments on 4/3? Your #3 makes no sense to me. If they had the payment, why would you "retry"? Are you making these transactions on your PHONE? It would be a good idea to have someone help you explain what happened, using punctuation, nouns, and proper grammar. I'm sorry that I cannot follow your story.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019
Hi jsn55
1) April 3 Capitol one payment for $596 and $234 were returned
2) April 4 went to my bank and asked why my payments were returned was told it was an error to call Capitol one and let them know to please do a "RETRY" my bank had screwed up
3) called Capitol one the young lady I spoke to said she didn't see Anything returned in my account my payments had posted 2 days ago I said well could you please try to make the payment go through again she said that she had tried but it wouldn't let it go through because it was more then my credit amount that she was going to notate my account to please go ahead and do a retry that is the term that the bank said to use when the payments due come back
4) April 5 payments returned resubmitted payment on Capitol one app
5) called my bank let them know I've resubmitted payments
6) payments posted on April 8 to Capitol one from my bank
7) April 9 Capitol one locks my cards, also emailed my bank and said what's going on he responded that he spoke toba Tim and Tim said he needs more proof theres an error then just the bank calling, but had no idea of what other proof Marcus could send in
8) April 12 credit karma sends me a notification that accounts were closed and my score dropped significantly
9) April 8 Capitol one sent 2 letters out that were recieved on April 12 We are closing this account because of activity on this or another account is not consistent with our expectation for account usage please stop using your account immediately and destroy any cards as a you should update any recurring payment you set up
10) April 16 called Capitol one and said You guys have a statement saying that I am responsible for paying in full any remaining account balance you will continue this receive billing statements until any remaining balance reaches 0 I called Camille at capital one and she said that the balance is not old because they updated the account later but they had already reported it on April 12 to the credit bureau and I really only 0 $88 on 1 of the account's on a secured credit card account but they are only allowed to report to credit bureaus wants a month and since they had already done that I will have to wait for them to clear up the balance if they feel like reporting next month

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What kind of account is the Capital One account? Is it a credit card you are paying?
Why did you make two separate payments?
Is this the first time you ever had late payments?
How are you making the payments? Online or over the phone?
Instead of a “retry” why couldn’t you just order the two new payments?

I’m still not clear on what happened. I can’t understand why Capital One would close out an account based on one bounced payment. Have you paid late before?

You need a letter from your bank on their letterhead saying the two payments were returned in error. A text or email is not enough.

Apr 15, 2019
Thank you for the list; let's try this. Is "Capitol One" a mortgage, a car loan, a credit card? Are you paying them with a check, an inter-bank transfer, or your bank's bill-paying service? Why did you make two payments on 4/3? Your #3 makes no sense to me. If they had the payment, why would you "retry"? Are you making these transactions on your PHONE? It would be a good idea to have someone help you explain what happened, using punctuation, nouns, and proper grammar. I'm sorry that I cannot follow your story.
It's fine thanks for your time