Capital One not activating Venture card

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 14, 2019
Capital One has restricted use of my new Venture credit card by not activating it. At issue is what constitutes adequate proof of identity. Capital One’s case number associated with this issue is 1000xxxxxxxxx.

The card was issued to me on October 14, 2019. I have participated in many interactions with Capital One since October 21 and believe I have provided adequate proof of identity. I also hold another Venture credit card with Capital One.

Contact information (email address, cell phone, and physical address) for both cards is the same. Communication with Capital One on this issue has taken place using these contacts. Capital One now has an image of my driver’s license which includes my physical address.

I have had several conversations with customer support agents. Also, on October 25 I requested intervention from Chanda Sperry, Managing Vice President ([email protected]). There has been no response from that office.

On November 03 I then contacted Sanjiv Yajnik, President, Financial Services ([email protected]). There has been no response from that office either.

My first phone call to activate the card was redirected to a customer support agent. I was asked to provide an image of my driver's license, both front and back. Initially, this copying was attempted through my cell phone with the agent using the RetailID app. This process failed to recognize the bar code on the back of my license at least twice.

Ultimately, I uploaded a copy of the front and back to Capital One. I have been told that the images are visible (including, I assume, my address). Capital One's systems were unable to scan the barcode on the license at that point as well.

When Capital One’s systems cannot read or recognize a driver’s license bar code the next step requires a copy of a social security card. I refused to fulfill that request. I appreciate Capital One’s concern regarding identity security, but I believe this last request goes too far.

I want to get this card activated and understand why this level of scrutiny has taken place.

Edited by a moderator to remove case number

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 14, 2018
Since they are loaning the holder of the card money, they need to verify that it is really you and not someone who stole your mail.

Why are you concerned about giving them a copy of your social security card? There's nothing on it but your name and social security number, and they already know both of those.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Unfortunately they can ask for anything they want. If you want the card activated then you must comply. Personally I’d be in trouble because I have not a clue where my SS Card is. In some states you can order online thru Social Security Administration.

May 30, 2019
Unfortunately, you are hitting a technical wall. Cap One is striving to comply with its fraud-prevention protocols as well as a myriad of banking and Homeland Security regulations.

You provided your SSN when you applied for the card along with plenty of other PII. So, what's the harm in showing an actual SS Card? You'll need more than that to renew your driver's license.

I can't suggest going to a different bank because the other big banks have similar protocols (although possibly fewer technical issues).

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Unfortunately, you are hitting a technical wall. Cap One is striving to comply with its fraud-prevention protocols as well as a myriad of banking and Homeland Security regulations.

You provided your SSN when you applied for the card along with plenty of other PII. So, what's the harm in showing an actual SS Card? You'll need more than that to renew your driver's license.

I can't suggest going to a different bank because the other big banks have similar protocols (although possibly fewer technical issues).
I get it.
It’s just one more bit of his identity just sitting in a file somewhere, ripe for someone to see it, recognize it for what it is and use it to their advantage. A picture of a SS card is a far cry from just having a number. It is a readily available concrete piece of his identity, open to who knows how many cap one employees.
In my history, it has been fairly obvious that fraud was perpetuated from an inside source (bank, credit union, etc.)
Many years ago, a dentist office demanded my husband’s ss# to make an appointment to get his teeth cleaned. He refused, on the basis that they didn’t need it, he did not have dental insurance and would be paying for the services at the time of service. They held strong and he found another dentist. That ss# would have sat on a piece of paper in that office for who knows how long.
Subsequently, we have realized that all of our info is on the dark web (long story) and we need credit freezes to protect ourselves, but we still do not just put our info out there without much thought.

May 1, 2018
I want to get this card activated and understand why this level of scrutiny has taken place.
If you want to use the their product, you have to follow their security policies. This is a consumer advocacy board which works to improve consumers' rights. But let's be clear here, forcing a company to provide their service on your terms is not a consumer right. So if you want the card activated you need to provide the requested SS card info.

Beyond that, I highly doubt any financial company will provide you a sufficiently detailed explanation for why this level of scrutiny has taken place. Divulging their reasons for the increased security scrutiny would undoubtedly violate the very same security policies that are putting you through the scrutiny.

Mar 23, 2015
[QUOTE When Capital One’s systems cannot read or recognize a driver’s license bar code the next step requires a copy of a social security card. I refused to fulfill that request. I appreciate Capital One’s concern regarding identity security, but I believe this last request goes too far.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a compromise? Can you scan your SS card and redact/white out all but the last 4 digits? Would they accept that?

Nov 14, 2019
Capital One has restricted use of my new Venture credit card by not activating it. At issue is what constitutes adequate proof of identity. Capital One’s case number associated with this issue is 1000xxxxxxxxx.

The card was issued to me on October 14, 2019. I have participated in many interactions with Capital One since October 21 and believe I have provided adequate proof of identity. I also hold another Venture credit card with Capital One.

Contact information (email address, cell phone, and physical address) for both cards is the same. Communication with Capital One on this issue has taken place using these contacts. Capital One now has an image of my driver’s license which includes my physical address.

I have had several conversations with customer support agents. Also, on October 25 I requested intervention from Chanda Sperry, Managing Vice President ([email protected]). There has been no response from that office.

On November 03 I then contacted Sanjiv Yajnik, President, Financial Services ([email protected]). There has been no response from that office either.

My first phone call to activate the card was redirected to a customer support agent. I was asked to provide an image of my driver's license, both front and back. Initially, this copying was attempted through my cell phone with the agent using the RetailID app. This process failed to recognize the bar code on the back of my license at least twice.

Ultimately, I uploaded a copy of the front and back to Capital One. I have been told that the images are visible (including, I assume, my address). Capital One's systems were unable to scan the barcode on the license at that point as well.

When Capital One’s systems cannot read or recognize a driver’s license bar code the next step requires a copy of a social security card. I refused to fulfill that request. I appreciate Capital One’s concern regarding identity security, but I believe this last request goes too far.

Update 17 November...

Based on several recommendations from forum members, I uploaded a copy of my SS card to Capital One. At Capital One's request, I also uploaded a copy of a current utility bill. This wasn't good enough.

To summarize: 1) I have an existing Capital One card; 2) I applied for and received an addition account and its associated card; 3) contact information and name on the card for both is the same 4) Capital One restricted [prevented use] of the new card pending proof of identity; 5) Capital One now has a copy of my driver's license, my SS card and a current utility bill.

The status: I was offered the option of taking a picture of my driver's license and mailing it or cancelling the account. I opted for cancellation.

Interesting: all this proof of identity was insufficient to active the account, but it was good enough to cancel it.....or maybe there were some other unrevealed reasons?

-end-

Update 17 November...

Based on several recommendations from forum members, I uploaded a copy of my SS card to Capital One. At Capital One's request, I also uploaded a copy of a current utility bill. This wasn't good enough.

To summarize: 1) I have an existing Capital One card; 2) I applied for and received an additional account and its associated card; 3) contact information and name on the card for both is the same; 4) Capital One restricted [prevented use] of the new card pending proof of identity; 5) Capital One now has a copy of my driver's license, my SS card and a current utility bill.

The status: I was offered the option of taking a picture of my driver's license and mailing it or cancelling the account. I opted for cancellation.

Interesting: all this proof of identity was insufficient to activate the account, but it was good enough to cancel it.

-end-

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Are you saying you have two Capital One cards? Maybe I’m wrong but perhaps this is the problem. Many credit card companies don’t allow you to have two cards. They will usually upgrade an existing card if you are applying for something different.

Nov 14, 2019
Are you saying you have two Capital One cards? Maybe I’m wrong but perhaps this is the problem. Many credit card companies don’t allow you to have two cards. They will usually upgrade an existing card if you are applying for something different.
No mention of any restrictions were ever made. The second card application was approved, the card was produced, and sent to me. The proof of identity issue arose when I attempted to activate the card.

I went for a second card because of their "signing bonus" of 50,000 airline miles if you meet their spending threshold.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This could be your problem. Most cards do not allow you to have two different cards. But Capital One should be able to tell you that.

Go back to the offer and read the fine print to see if it says you aren’t permitted to have another account within the last two years or so.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is from their terms- see the bonus may not be available for existing or previous account holders.

I would suggest you call Capital One back, tell them you already have an account and ask if that is why you can’t activate this card.

1. Earn 50,000 bonus miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. This one-time bonus is available by clicking the “Apply Now” button on this page, and may not be available if you navigate away from or close this page. The bonus may not be available for existing or previous account holders.

Nov 14, 2019
This is from their terms- see the bonus may not be available for existing or previous account holders.

I would suggest you call Capital One back, tell them you already have an account and ask if that is why you can’t activate this card.

1. Earn 50,000 bonus miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. This one-time bonus is available by clicking the “Apply Now” button on this page, and may not be available if you navigate away from or close this page. The bonus may not be available for existing or previous account holders.
So you're saying that Capital One lied about the situation to cover up a mistake they made (actually issuing a second card)? This issue was never presented as anything other than a proof of identity!

Sep 19, 2015
So you're saying that Capital One lied about the situation to cover up a mistake they made (actually issuing a second card)? This issue was never presented as anything other than a proof of identity!
No I do not think they lied. Had it been activated they just would not give you the bonus if not eligible. A quick search shows that this happens when fraud is suspected. What may have happened is that one of the verification systems has incorrect info so you are stuck in a dreadful loop. This has happened to other people.

Perhaps you should also check to make sure no one has tried to open cards in your name.

So the card is canceled?

Nov 14, 2019
No I do not think they lied. Had it been activated they just would not give you the bonus if not eligible. A quick search shows that this happens when fraud is suspected. What may have happened is that one of the verification systems has incorrect info so you are stuck in a dreadful loop. This has happened to other people.

Perhaps you should also check to make sure no one has tried to open cards in your name.

So the card is canceled?
The card is cancelled.