Can't find Trip Insurance for ExPats!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 12, 2019
Hi. I've been searching for a while with no luck for Trip Insurance that
would cover an ExPat (United States Citizen residing outside the US) who
is travelling back to the US for a vacation. I'm sure this is a very common
scenario, but every company I've looked into excludes you if you're a US citizen
or a current resident of the US.
I can understand not providing Medical coverage as that could become
complicated with primary/secondary coverage issues, but surely there's
no reason simple Trip cancellation/interruption coverage can't be provided.
In fact, if someone is a US citizen, I'd bet anything that they'd be a more
reliable customer/less fraud than insuring a foreigner....!
Does anyone know of any company that would provide this kind of coverage?
Thanks.

Jun 12, 2019
Note I'm specifically asking about Trip Only Insurance - Not Medical.
Someone in an earlier thread about Expat Medical Travel insurance mentioned
patriotamericainsurance I checked them out, and they
do offer Trip insurance for Expats (you have to chat with them to get the proper link)
but their quote was prohibitive for someone older - apparently because it also
comes with a basic minimum medical coverage :( Really looking for basic
Trip Only Insurance for Expats...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2015
In fact, if someone is a US citizen, I'd bet anything that they'd be a more
reliable customer/less fraud than insuring a foreigner....!

Does anyone know of any company that would provide this kind of coverage?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure how you came to the above conclusion highlighted in red but it really has no place on this thread.

Does your credit card offer any insurance?

Have you checked to see if the major international travel insurance companies offer trip insurance in your area?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should check with a travel agency in your area. They might offer a policy but most do have medical
added. You say the cost is prohibitive because of your age. Do you have Medicare and a secondary insurance policy to cover you if something happens and you need to go to the hospital?

I’m not aware of any policy that doesn’t include medical or is medical only or policies that cover ex-pats. Your only option might be PatriotAmerica.