Cancelling Cable TV Account by mail

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 1, 2016
In my past dealings with these sort of companies I know they make it extremely difficult and painful to cancel, and often I've had to pay for several months of unused service while they took their time to cancel the account.

I'm moving, and this time I want to take no chances with Mediacom (the current company who I have the misfortune of being the monopoly cable and sole broadband internet provider in my area).

I obviously want to mail in my request (permitted per my contract) to avoid any drama with their retention department; does anyone have a sample cancellation request letter they would like to share?

I have found a contact for Mediacom who I am happy to share once I have confirmed that it works.

Michelle Bell

Staff Member
Advocate
Apr 15, 2016
I completely understand why you don't want to have the annoying "retention" conversation. They never end and I always end up getting upset and wanting to throw the phone against the wall (but keep reminding myself that would hurt me much more than it would hurt them). I'm a big supporter of putting it in writing. If you have a contact, do you have both email and snail mail addresses? If you have both, I suggest scanning and emailing it, then sending it registered mail, return receipt requested. Alternatively, you could send it FedEx and check the box for "signature required." This way, they can't say they never got it.

Michelle Bell

Staff Member
Advocate
Apr 15, 2016
As for the contents, simply provide them with your account number and the address at which you receive service, and tell them the day you wish the service to be stopped. Ask for acknowledgement by email or return mail. If you may have a penalty, you need to address this. Not knowing what your penalty might or the contents of your agreement, I won't make any suggestions on that. But the simpler, the better.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I have no issue with an attempted retention conversation bc I simply won't have one. You are moving and need to cancel. I would call them and let them know. Request an email confirmation as @JVillegirl541 told you. There may also be an option to do this online while logged into your account. I have an experience once of moving and continuing to receive bills for a couple of months so you are smart to want to make sure this cancellation is ironclad. It is smart to send a letter via certified mail with return receipt requested. Just say Something like, as I informed you on xxxx date via phone, I have cancelled this service, etc
Make sure you file a change of address with the post office though. In case they do screw up and continue to bill or there is a residual balance, you want to find out before it goes to collections.
Oh, don't forget to return your equipment.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would advise you to do it over the phone AND in writing because I can bet you that you will not be canceled if you mail it without a signature required and they'll say they never received your letter. As someone above said, have them send you an email acknowledgement.

You've had enough trouble lately without having another issue to worry about when you move.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
One more option:

Go in person to one of their local "stores" where you can return the cable boxes, modem, etc., and get an itemized receipt for not only the devices, but also for your service cancellation request.
EXACTLY.... Do THIS.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Such a simple solution that no one else thought of.
Not that simple as he doesn't want to go in person. He prefers mail correspondence. I happen to prefer phone. We all have our preferred methods. In this case, the phone call and certified letter must be done anyway. That should do the trick. If you have the time pre-move then popping in wont hurt but be prepared to wait, if you do.

Apr 19, 2016
But what if they need the wife to come too- then it is back to the first problem.
That's doubtful. I have Comcast (ugh), and both my husband and I are authorized parties on the account. I've made changes to the account without their asking me to put him on the phone to also approve the changes. Same with other companies for TV/Internet/landline/cell phone service in the past, both at our current and past addresses.

As for the annoying retention conversation, if I'm not signing up with them at my new address (or am cancelling but not actually moving), I sometimes just say that I'm moving abroad. It usually shuts them down immediately.

ETA yay cavaliers ;)

Not that simple as he doesn't want to go in person. He prefers mail correspondence. I happen to prefer phone. We all have our preferred methods. In this case, the phone call and certified letter must be done anyway. That should do the trick. If you have the time pre-move then popping in wont hurt but be prepared to wait, if you do.
I can understand that everyone has a preference but neither certified mail nor phone contact solves the problem of returning Mediacom's equipment. Will @lostinthemidwest have to wait around for a technician or representative to show up? Will there be a fee for this?

Regarding your other point, I seriously doubt that both people on the account would have to show up. In fact I've known real estate professionals who have taken care of this for their clients who were moving out of state and the clients never had to interact with the cable company at all.

Last edited: