Cancelled vacation, can’t get refund so out nearly a grand!

  • Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 18, 2018
(Original letter was to Chris)
I don’t know you, in fact I’d never heard of you until I found myself in my current predicament and searched the internet for “how to get a refund on plane tickets.” So after making far too many phone calls to spirit air and having to look my kids in the face and tell them the vacation we’ve planned after a 5 year “vacation drought” will have to wait another year, im reaching out to you. Im not sure if you can even help, honestly I don’t really know if you’ll even read this email. However I must try. The long short of it is, my wife and I both work have decent jobs and make decent money but we don’t always have enough extra for a real, pack up and travel somewhere vacation. In fact it’s been far too long since we’ve taken our kids on one, let alone ourselves, so with the little extra we had from taxes this year we purchased tickets from spirit (probably our first mistake) and a hotel in myrtle beach. Unfortunately, due to some unforeseen financial burdens in the last month and me joining the navy reserves (I was active duty for nearly a decade and due to “re-enlisting “ I need to be available for the time we were going to be gone) our vacation is a bust. Of course we planned to reschedule, but Spirit will charge us nearly the amount we paid just to move our flights. So we decided to cancel, over a month in advance and as you already know, they will refund us basically nothing. Again I have no idea if you’ll read this or if you can help, I just saw you were able to help others and I figured I’d give it a shot. Seriously any help is appreciated, thank you for your time. God bless.
Brent Meyer
Since this first letter, my wife has called repeatedly and asked to talk to supervisors, etc. but to no avail.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Dec 27, 2014
New York
I’m sorry to say but when you buy nonrefundable tickets, if you don’t have Travel insurance to cover the reason for canceling- there is really nothing you can do.

In your case, most insurance won’t cover canceling for financial problems. You would have needed to buy a Cancel for any Reason insurance policy and you wouldn’t get 100% back anyway.

If you cancel Spirit will usually give you a credit to use towards another trip less a cancellation fee within 6 months to a year.

This is a thread we have - you can give the advice here a try:


Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Will you be on orders for the enlistment into the reserves? If so, let Spirit know that. Typically companies will waive change fees for military on orders. They don't have to, mind, but it is worth a try.
I am hoping that Techno's advice makes a difference here, Brent. I am so sorry this happened and extremely sorry that you booked on Spirit. But the good news is that you did not use an online booking service, so you have a chance. Compose a concise, polite email to Spirit and ask for a credit towards a future flight ... you just never know. There are many of us who support our military, and you may find someone at Spirit that takes your service seriously. If your original email does not produce results, use our Company Contacts to pursue this up the executive beanstalk, one exec at a time, waiting a week between each. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome. I will keep my fingers crossed.