Cancelled Ticket losing its value!!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 11, 2015
Hi there!
I booked a flight at hotwire.com to fly from FLL,FL to Kathmandu,Nepal on May 6th,2014 to fly out on Sep 1st,2014 and return on Sep 22nd,2014 with Etihad airways managed by Jetblue. However, I got a promotion at my job and was not able to fly at that time. I had to cancel my flight. There is no way i can travel this year at all. I called Hotwire to see if i could use the ticket to fly next year(2016). A representative tried to help me, he even contacted Etihad airways for me. They said-"I had to fly on or before May 6,2015 and there was no way around that.AND, the ticket would loose its value" I paid around $1600-$1700.00 for this trip. I am happy with paying the cancellation fee even.PLEASE HELP!!!

Jan 6, 2015
I could not locate this policy on line, but it makes sense that the 1 year time limit applies. So you would be asking for an exception. I found two contacts to whom you may appeal:

James Hogan, CEO jhogan@etihad.ae
Richard Hill, COO rhill@etihad.ae

When pursuing a resolution, remember the following:

Any statements concerning financial impact/distress, while tempting, may not harm your case but will rarely help. And they may be viewed as a ploy for sympathy. Similarly, an aggressive approach accompanied by strong emotional statements, however justified, quickly becomes adversarial and will almost always derail your case.

be POLITE . . . . . you're seeking an ally for your cause
be SUCCINCT . . present the highlights and stay on point
be SPECIFIC . . . offer them a fair and tenable option
be GRATEFUL . . thank them for their time and consideration!
be PATIENT . . . . wait a week each time you email a new contact
be AWARE . . . . . if you've exhausted your company appeals, ask Chris for Help directly.

Note that our help is limited (and perhaps impossible) once this involves the AG, the DOT, any court, or if you have filed a credit card dispute

Best wishes for success, and please keep us posted ...

Oct 10, 2014
VoR, I couldn't find an Etihad's policy on expiration dates, either. As a matter of fact, their economy class tickets are refundable and that may be the reason why there is no expiration date.

She bought her tickets through Hotwire. Hotwire may be the party that is imposing the rule.

Jan 6, 2015
VoR, I couldn't find an Etihad's policy on expiration dates, either. As a matter of fact, their economy class tickets are refundable and that may be the reason why there is no expiration date.

She bought her tickets through Hotwire. Hotwire may be the party that is imposing the rule.
Interesting. They directed her (supposedly) to Etihad who said 1 year. I'm assuming that it is them, but Preeti should know once Etihad responds.

Feb 11, 2015
Good morning everyone.
So, after sending message to Mr.Hogan i was contacted (via email) by Etihad Guest relations.They were very prompt i must say. First email simply emphasized on my disappointment and requested for ticket details, ticket number, you get an idea. I promptly provided with all of the above info. Then, i received another email not so good news indicating that they are not able to extend the length of the ticket for more than one year as that was one of the restrictions on the ticket and re-directed me to Hotwire for a possible refund. There is no hope. Is there??

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Dear Mr. Shrestha,

Our research folks have just found and published updated Etihad contact information, so if you wish to continue to pursue an appeal, here's how:

First, complete and submit the Feedback form you'll find here:

Give them a week to get back to you. If they don't or you don't like what they have to say, escalate your appeal to the executives you'll find listed here:

Send short, polite emails to, one at a time, with a week between each, the Primary Contact, two Secondary Contacts and Chief Executive.

Save all your correspondence and if you don't receive satisfaction, feel free to complete and submit the Elliott.org "Help" form you'll find here:

Good luck!

Grant